Thread: Camping near lake aleknagik

Default Camping near lake aleknagik

Camping in this area (southwest Alaska) in the fall time frame, are there any certain items that I should plan on packing along with me? If anyone has a list of things that would be must need and optional kind of things please let me know. Also would it be a good idea to bring my dog? She is a very mindful smart dog with a thick coat.
    Any help I can get is very well received

I'd sure as hades bring some bear protection, especially if it is early fall. Any beach on that lake will have plenty of bear traffic, especially around streams.

Default Re: Camping near lake aleknagik

It is me ans my buddy who is native to dillingham and my dog who will be making the trip. We are going to be canoing from the first lake to about the fifth lake and continuing on foot from there to find a good place to build our camp. We want to live of the land and lake. I'm fairly savvy on survival as I'm still active duty Marine Corps but still any help is good info to soak in. Do you have any advice on what kinda of maps to bring and how we could split our load of supplies between the two of us. Also my dog will be carrying a pack but nothing to big because she's only 50lbs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ah .. how long is this trip? and living off the lake and the land in AK.. is NOT that simple, it takes months of preperation to survive just a few months of winter,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Exactly and this is why we are starting our planning now. This is going to be a 2013 trip. Definitely not trying to make the trip this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'd sure as hades bring some bear protection, especially if it is early fall. Any beach on that lake will have plenty of bear traffic, especially around streams.
    Yep, a firearm capable of taking down a bear, or lots of pepper spray. Your dog should alert you if there are bears around, at least most dogs I've known will...as long as it's not the kind of dog that will run off & then bring one back to you, that would certainly make the trip quite eventful.
    "Grin and Bear It"

No she's a dog that will stay by my side at all times. As far as firearms go; there are going to be two of us going and we were thinking between the two of us taking a .45 handgun and a .40 handgun that will be worn at all times. As far as long guns; we are wanting a good gun for smaller game like a 410 or 20 gauge. But we were also pondering the idea of a pump 12 gauge with slugs for bear protection and buck for small game or is a 12 gauge too big for small game? And then were were also thinking a 306 for bigger game in case we came some. The trip is going to be around 30 days or so.

Your friend is a local?
    And they think a .40 is a good call?

Bring a 12 gauge. It'll be versatile dependent on load, in both bear protection and small game harvesting. Not sure if your an Alaskan Resident, or will be at the time of your trip, but that will impact what you can harvest in regards to game.

We see a lot of these types of posts on here. Hopefully you'll beat the odds and get out there, safely, and enjoy yourself.
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

He was a local to dillingham. He is in Fairbanks now. But the. 45 and the. 40 are the only two pistols we have between the two of us other then a couple of .22's. No I'm not living in AK as I'm still active duty. So what are the differences between local and visitor harvesting regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaclaska View Post
    No I'm not living in AK as I'm still active duty. So what are the differences between local and visitor harvesting regulations?
    If you are still active duty at the time you can obtain military tags and license at resident rates or free depending on your PCS paperwork. If you are just visiting they you are just going to pay more money for non res license and tags. You may want to stick to small game and let your friend shoot anything larger than a grouse.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Zaclaska View Post
    Exactly and this is why we are starting our planning now. This is going to be a 2013 trip. Definitely not trying to make the trip this year.

okay by your second post you indicated you were going to build a camp... this sounds like a LONG term endevior... IT TAKES MONTHS ON SITE.. to prepare for winter. and ALASKA.. is about the very LAST state you want to try to live of the lake and land... unless your good at catching voles...

and google ADFG.. and start reading the hunting regulations before you EVEN THINK ABOUT IT>

not only are the regs pretty clear, on what you may or may not do... they also indicate the hunting seasons your allowed to live off the land... that aside.. should you get to the area during the seaon..the game MAY NOT BE THERE at that time.. funny thing about moose and caribou.. and bears.. they have different places to live at different times of the year also.

small game live in predator prey cycles... and if they are down and preds.. up... good luck finding a bunny or bird to catch... water fowl leave AK well ahead of the curve... thats why they are hunted all winter in the states... they LEFT AK...

AND DO NOT... !!!!!!!!!!!!! let any of those stupid tv shows about AK... give you any indication how to live up here... Their BULL sh-T
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

See this is all the info I'm looking to get. Honest hard and helpful words of wisdom. What we mean by building a camp is more of a shelter. But a more comfortable shelter than just sleeping under some trees. What are some good sites to look at to find out about the seasons some critters would be around? Or any other info on trying to do a long term camp?