Thread: What do you do if you catch what is not open....???

Default What do you do if you catch what is not open....???

I see Lynx does not open in unit #7 till Jan. but nearly everything else opens Nov. 10'th. So what do you do with a lynx caught in Nov. or Dec. Request the "Official" answer & the "UN"-official answer.....

The correct way to handle it is by either letting the animal go or turning it into ADF&G.

How many abide by this? No one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I see Lynx does not open in unit #7 till Jan. but nearly everything else opens Nov. 10'th. So what do you do with a lynx caught in Nov. or Dec. Request the "Official" answer & the "UN"-official answer.....
    Although I've studied up on it some, I don't really trap, except for snowshoe hare. So, I'm asking for to be edumacated. What type of set might you make, targeting other species, which would have potential to unintentionally catch a lynx? And how would you mitigate the risk?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Although I've studied up on it some, I don't really trap, except for snowshoe hare. So, I'm asking for to be edumacated. What type of set might you make, targeting other species, which would have potential to unintentionally catch a lynx? And how would you mitigate the risk?
    Bait piles.. Mainly because your snares could catch k9's or cats. Setting snares properly.. i.e right size loop, and how far off the ground it is set can determine what you catch, Snares are very unforgiving sets though.

It is spelled out in the regs. There is no penalty for doing the right thing, ie surrendering the catch to ADG&G. I have done it and it was painless.

The state troopers like honesty guys. And if you talk to the trooper on a good day he may even let you keep the animal if it was not trapped on purpose.

I tried to let a housecat out of a leghold once when I was in high school, that was a BIG mistake - I looked like a chain saw attacked me! I cannot image dealing with a lynx that way....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I tried to let a housecat out of a leghold once when I was in high school, that was a BIG mistake - I looked like a chain saw attacked me! I cannot image dealing with a lynx that way....
    Best way to release any cat from a trap is to "stun" it - with a 22 between the eyes.

Supporting Member

Released a lynx last year a week before the season opened in 14A. Had it by a back foot in a coyote snare (must have jumped through). Put a snare around its head and put just enough pressure on it to tip the cat over unconscious. Rushed in and cut both snares off and the cat revived in short order, but sat there curled up for quite a while (I think he figured he was still caught in the snare by the leg). Checked on him later after running more of my line and watched him get up and walk off as I approached. Learned later that another trapper caught him (as evidenced by the leather-mark on the back foot when he was skinned) nearby during the season. Turned out to be the other trapper's first cat, so that was kind of cool.
    If I couldn't have turned him loose alive, he would have ended up at the ADF&G office in Palmer.

I released a house cat that was still alive 2 years ago. I was not attacked at all and the cat was pissed to. My boss gave me the idea to take a blanket and place it over the cat for a minute or two. With the eyes covered on the cat you can then release the leg holds on the cat. I had the cat in two leg holds and i had 3 of its 4 legs i had to release. the cat was fine it took off running once i pulled the blanket.

You just have to either release it if it is not injured to badly, or if it has died or you can't get it out alive, you just skin it out and take to fish and game. I had to release an otter a few weeks ago at the beginning of beaver trapping. I made my set away from a run with beaver lure, but somehow he got in there. I was surprised the otter did not go down the drowning cable. I was able to lay a log over his neck and reach down and pull the trap off, and away he went.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    You just have to either release it if it is not injured to badly, or if it has died or you can't get it out alive, you just skin it out and take to fish and game. I had to release an otter a few weeks ago at the beginning of beaver trapping. I made my set away from a run with beaver lure, but somehow he got in there. I was surprised the otter did not go down the drowning cable. I was able to lay a log over his neck and reach down and pull the trap off, and away he went.
    You can do the same with a lynx also. Doesn't take much to pin them down and release.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I see no one answered your question very well. Lynx are pretty easy to catch. You don't have to hide the trap. Any baited set you make for another animal may catch a lynx. They even get caught in pole sets for marten sometimes. Blind sets on trails can possibly take them also.
    As lb said, snares are somewhat more discerning, but the normal coyote snare loop and size will often take lynx. It can be difficult to avoid lynx when they are around.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    You can do the same with a lynx also. Doesn't take much to pin them down and release.
    Kinda off topic but, thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

I have a friend who did a lot of trapping years ago. Not sure exactly what time of year other then it was during legal season to take Lynx he ended up with one in a foot hold he set for a fox. Never have dealt with a lynx he thought he would do the same thing he did with fox. So he walked over bopped it over the top of the snout to knock it out then compress the chest to suffocate it while it was out cold, that was the plan any way. So he bops it, it drops to the ground and looked unconscious. So he proceeds to jump onto it and compress the chest....well it wasn't unconscious but very very awake lol, he said what seemed like 5 minutes he continued to try to keep it pinned while very very angry clawed paws were swinging around trying to get him. Mean while another friend of his was with him was just about out of breath on the ground laughing so hard because of what he was witnessing. Mean while my friend is panicking yelling "Shoot it, shoot it!!!" trying not to get clawed up by this large lynx lol. Finally his friend got the .22 and shot it in the head dispatching the animal. He said that it was one of the scariest things that has happened to him, he ended up having it stuffed and kept it instead of selling it and to this day sits in his living room as a full mount. He use to never shoot his animals but knock them out and suffocate them to save them from any bullet holes but he said he was more then willing to live with a bullet hole on that Lynx lol.

He still laughs about this story to this day.

That story just popped in my head with you guys talking about releasing Lynx so I thought I would share.

When i was trapping in Kansas..we would catch Bobcats by mistake at times out of season. I would carry a small 4x4 wool blanket with me on the lines or take my jacket and throw it over their head. You will be surprized how calm they get. would just walk in and very carefully grab the trap, open it and then use a long stick to remove the blanket or jacket. Only once did one try to come at me after it was removed...he got the pole to the head and took a different direction after that.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.