Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak goat/deer hunt

Default Kodiak goat/deer hunt

I, along with 3 other friends, just got back from a goat/deer hunt on Kodiak. We had a very good hunt, and although no luck with the goats, we did have some success with deer, and the weather was pretty hard to beat by Kodiak standards. My main reason for this post is to give kudos to our transport service, Island Air. I've been to Kodiak a few times but have only used Andrews in the past. I've never had a bad experience with Andrews, but I must say from now on (if available), I will only use Island Air. Bob Stanford (owner of Island Air) is not only a very nice guy and excellent pilot, but he runs a super tight ship, and was extreamly accomadating and helpful with every aspect of this hunt. So, if your considering an air carrier on Kodiak, I strongly recommend taking a look at Island Air, and if you do decide to use them, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Oh, and by the way, this is not a paid for endorsement. We just had such a positive experience with these guy's I had to post on it.

I don't think I've heard anything bad about any of the three big carriers on Kodiak. I've used Andrews and Seahawk. What do you think made Island better than either of them?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I don't think I've heard anything bad about any of the three big carriers on Kodiak. I've used Andrews and Seahawk. What do you think made Island better than either of them?
    I would note that there are at least four carriers on Kodiak, though the fourth is a smaller outfit (which I prefer). Kingfisher Aviation is awesome in my experience and should be considered as well, though I've heard many good things about the other three.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    When I started planning this trip, earlier this spring, I was trying to do it as cheap as possible, and from the very start, Bob was very helpful with ideas. He gave me his personal cell phone number and we talked several times, regarding legistics, prior to the trip. Half way through the trip we decided that we wanted to move. We have him a call one morning asking if it would be possible to do so, and he was there by 3:00 that afternoon moving us to a new location. At the end of the trip we realized that we needed to bump our flight out day, by one day, and he said no problem and was there to fly us out, Johnny on the spot. Once we got out of the bush, on a Saturday, we weren't able to ship our gear back to Anchorage because all the air cargo services were closed for the weekend. Bob had all of our gear (an 800+ lb mountain) at Ace Air Cargo when they opened, and it caught the first flight back to Anchorage. This was kind of imparitive, because we shipped all our game meat. Everything arrived in perfect condition and without incident. I don't think that his hourly rate is much, if any, different than the other air services, but his hospitality was. Oh, I almost forgot, We ended up spending a night in Kodiak and Bob just give us the keys to his truck and said "when you get done using it, just park it in front of the hanger and leave the keys in it". I don't know, it just seemed like when it was all over with, I had just made a new friend, instead of it all being just a business transaction. I've never flown with Seahawk so I have no personal experience with them.

This thread was by no means meant to "ding" any of the other carriers. I just wanted to make a statement about how Island Air and Bob Stanford went above and beyond for us, and I don't think we were treated any different than he treats any of his other clients.

Blah blahh blahhh... Where's those deer pics

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Where's those deer pics

I agree with the iceman!

Sounds like an excellent experience! On reading that report, I'll certainly consider them if/when I make it back to the island.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    I agree with the iceman!
    Here ya go, a couple goat pics.

P1010113.jpgP1010112.jpg

And some deer pics.
    P1010224.jpgP1010212.jpg

Oh, what the hell, I'll throw in a couple dead pics also.
    P1010232.jpgP1010243.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I would note that there are at least four carriers on Kodiak, though the fourth is a smaller outfit (which I prefer). Kingfisher Aviation is awesome in my experience and should be considered as well, though I've heard many good things about the other three.
    Hey Brian
    How do you get smaller than Seahawk? Fly a 1/2 of a plane..............lol! They are all good. I prefer Roland, simply because he takes awesome care of his gear, is a great guy and one hell of a pilot. Their service is off the chart. I've said it and I mean it. I'd fly to Hattie's on a Hanky if Roland was flying the Hanky.

But! Everyone has their favorite. I'm sure they all have good service.

Not to hijack, but what I want to know is why isn't there a small charter service to fly from Homer or Kenai to Kodiak? Is it just me or do the "major" airlines (in Anchorage) have it all sowed up when it comes to getting to Kodiak and back...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have also used Seahawk and had an awesome experience with them, the flying, the logistics in and around the city of Kodiak, etc. I tried to plan a last minute trip back to Kodiak but could not come up with a partner to tag along. I was planning to go with Seahawk again, but I was also looking at Island Air as well! Congrat's on a wonderful trip...for me being in goat country was a blast and the deer hunting was a bonus!

Island is the only one I've ever used when I've been to Kodiak, never seen any reason to change so I haven't!

Good deal Greg, Got any pics of Moffet and Gurley.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

No Bob, I don't. We all went our seperate ways to hunt everyday, so I don't have any pics of those guys. They all got deer though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Here ya go, a couple goat pics.
    That 2nd goat pic is very cool! How come one of them didn't hit the dirt?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    That 2nd goat pic is very cool! How come one of them didn't hit the dirt?
    The second pic is of a nanny with a kid (kid not in the pic). I did have a fairly easy shot on a billy, but if I would have taken it, I probably would have had to climb down the mountain about 1500' or so to collect his remains.

Great pictures, thanks. I leave for down that way next week. Now you got me fired up.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast