Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Season DC001 ideas

Default Late Season DC001 ideas

My youngest son has been left out of the hunting season and is really bumming. Oldest boy, daughter and #3 child have all done hunt or fishing trips with their old man this year. I have my DC001 tag and am looking at late Nov or December hunt, but he's 7 so I can't really get after it like I think I would need to for this hunt. We always shoot the first legal critter we see, so any thoughts on a child friendly hunt for this tag would be appreciated. I have a quad, and have access to a snogo.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quads are not allowed in the area that I know of, and I also think this is a no snogo year as well. I would not consider this hunt with a 7 year old, especially with no motorized assistance.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Quads are not allowed in the area that I know of, and I also think this is a no snogo year as well. I would not consider this hunt with a 7 year old, especially with no motorized assistance.
    That's kind of what I've been thinking. Next year for the little guy.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate reality of this hunt. Instead of that, consider taking him out for a weekend devoted to grouse, ptarmigan, or hares. You could rent a small cabin, bring your snowmachine, and make a great weekend of it while chasing game that he could hunt as well. I know that hare numbers are on the slide around here, but as of last year there were lots of hares in the Homer area. The Delta area might be worth a look as well, though I'm not certain where they're at in the hare cycle. Or perhaps consider riding together out to Alpine Creek Lodge along the Denali Highway. You could do well on ptarmigan, ride along with Bob while he checks his trapline (Bob is nine years old, I think, and loves having other kids around), and possibly even do a bit of predator calling.

Great idea Brian, for some reason I've always discounted small game hunting with my kids. And for no good reason. I grew up hunting rabbits and ptarmagin and loved it. Need to get my boys into it as well. Thanks!

I'd second what Brian offered. I've done this hunt successfully and consider it one of the hardest solo hunts I've done to date. To take a 7 year old on this hunt would almost certainly head him into the direction of knitting sweaters for a hobby. Following Brian's suggestion, keeping him warm and comfortable and showing him some success of his own, would head your little man down the path of being your hunting buddy for life!

Take him along and let him work with you. Seeing the action and the work it takes to hunt animals that are BIG to young kids, and with your great additude, He'll surly have a great time with you.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Small game hunting with the little ones is the best! I've had the great privilege of teaching my nephew to hunt. He took his first caribou last year, but it all started with small game hunting trips where we were able to practice our hunting skills and talk through regulations, ethics, and more. It's a great way to spend winter weekends!

All of which eventually led to:

Hunting with family really is the greatest gift of all. I did this hunt with my entire clan last October. My kids were in awe of how big a moose really is, and the work it takes to take one apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

why could a guy not take a snowmachine up the resurrection trail? used to be it was open until jan 1 with snow cover. did that change?

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    why could a guy not take a snowmachine up the resurrection trail? used to be it was open until jan 1 with snow cover. did that change?
    It's an every-other-year deal, and even during open years there is rarely adequate snow cover as determined by the officials to allow such an opening. If I recall, homerdave mentioned in the past that this hunt hasn't had a successful December harvest in a looooong time (if ever?).

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    That's kind of what I've been thinking. Next year for the little guy.
    Don't know if you are interested, or even if it's doable that time of year, but there are folks in the Cooper Landing area that will take you in on horses if you're willing to put that kind of $$$ out. I would think that would be a real exciting hunt for your boy. I just remember how as a kid I always dreamt of how great a horseback hunt would be. I guess it would also depend on how much snow there is by that time.

Just a thought......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If they open the Palmer Creek road to snow machines, you could try that in late Nov. and Dec. for caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If they open the Palmer Creek road to snow machines, you could try that in late Nov. and Dec. for caribou.
    Isn't the whole area subject to the every other year regulation...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If I recall, homerdave mentioned in the past that this hunt hasn't had a successful December harvest in a looooong time (if ever?).
    Yep, that's a "never". As a matter of fact, F&G pretty much considers the hunt about done by now. Hostorically only a handful of hunters have ever been successful after october.
    Harvest right now is 23 i think, and that is likely where it will stay.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Yep, that's a "never". As a matter of fact, F&G pretty much considers the hunt about done by now. Hostorically only a handful of hunters have ever been successful after october.
    How does one find out what the current number of harvested animals is?

Default Late Season DC001 ideas

Call Jeff Selinger at soldotna F&G , 262-9368
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Seems like half the hunters that got a DC001 caribou are forum members
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

250 people get this rewarding permit each year. Of those, somewhere around 150 "look into it" after seeing the draw results and realize that, although it requires the least amount of travel from Anchorage to bag a caribou, it is both a physically and mentally (in my opinion) demanding hunt. Those people don't even hunt it, or at least they check that box when they report it. That leaves 100 (ish, remember this is a guesstimate) lucky hunters. Typically, somewhere around 20 of the remaining hunters harvest an animal. I think many of the lucky ones hike the trail waiting to bump into a caribou on the weekends, and they may well do that. I saw 'bou tracks on the trail on my way out less than two hours from the car, and that was after five fourteen hour days away from the tent hunting. Frustrating, yes. Some of the other hunters just don't give themselves enough time. There are a lot of stories out there about folks hiking for a day to their reserved cabin, hunting up high for two days, then hiking back for another day. Two hunting days is just not enough to satisfy my thirst for blood. Then there are, of course, the folks that put their time in hunting long and hard for several days throughout the season, and they don't give up until they have meat in the freezer. Those are the 20 or so that harvest an animal. I think this is a hunting opportunity that will absolutely get you an animal if you want it bad enough. But the people that want it bad enough want it by the end of September, and that's why nobody bags one later in the season. That said, I can tell you that, with the amount time and effort I put into this hunt this year, I would not hesitate to take it into December if I hadn't already notched the tag. In short, everybody that takes this hunt seriously gets their animal before having to consider the late season. However, for the folks that aren't able to hit it hard from August to September, go for it! Sure nobody has filled a tag that late in the season, but I am willing to bet that very few have even hunted it that late. If you have the proper means, the caribou are not necessarily farther away or harder to get to. It's just colder and darker, but it's Alaska. Good luck to anyone still planning to head out, and end of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Isn't the whole area subject to the every other year regulation...???
    Palmer Creek is NOT part of Resurrection Creek Trail. Most days there are 8 to 12 caribou behind my cabin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast