Thread: How Long will Caribou meat stay good

Default How Long will Caribou meat stay good

I harvested my first caribou this year. I had the meat processed and wraped and frozen. How long will it stay good for

Thanks for your opinion

Jim

Much depends on how well it was wrapped and the method used. In my experience wrapped only in paper, best if used in a year, vacuum sealed up to 3 years, but still best within a year.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default How Long will Caribou meat stay good

Also depends how quickly the temp was dropped on the meat in the field. If your field care was stellar, a year is no problem, assuming it was well wrapped. Two is pushing it unless vacuum sealed, but certainly still edible and perhaps even delicious if it was well Saran wrapped.

Hmmm, I regularly eat game meat (moose and caribou) for up to 10 years, sometimes longer if I find that stray package that got wedged in a corner. Wrapped in celophane first, then freezer paper. Never had a problem unless it is REALLY old. Don't even see a difference between 1 year old and 8 year old meat. I try to mix my meals, so don't just eat all of what I got on a particular year. I am still working on some parts of 2005 and 2006 moose that I mix inbetween more recent caribou (haven't gotten a moose for a while).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Mine never lasts a year... its all eaten long before the year is up.... but i have had meat over a year old given to me..with an edge burned or other... a trip through the grinder and sausage stuffer.. makes it all brand new.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I ground up about 15lbs of moose, caribou and deer that had some freezer burn, made awesome jerky. Had some today.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I found some '08 or '09 moose roast and a package of burger in the far reaches of the freezer while restocking it. Made jerky out of the roast and cooked up the burger, all tasted fine. Still have some black bear sausage from '10 and '11 that i'm finishing up. Most of our meat is saran wrapped than wrapped in paper. But most meat is well gone within a year at our house.

field care is key as was mentioned... I decided this year the fresh stuff really is better.. and have moved to a new strategy of eating the fresh stuff(crazy right?).. I gave away all the 08/09/10... most of the 11... and we are really enjoying the 12... lots of pressure this way as I'll be pretty low come next hunting season, but the wife and kids suddenly love moose meat.. who knew?

If you carve off all that is discolored...the core red stuff can be still awesome.. and your four legged friend will be happy to help out with the trim...

I have foundthat if you wrap in saran wrap and then waxed paper it will last for years andlook just as fresh as the day you wrapped. Vacuum packed is a bit different Ihave had it last 1 yr only unless it was a chamber vacuum that was used andthat will help it last much longer. If the freezer is cold and it got a goodfreeze and stayed frozen. Meat cutterswill know what the proper freezer temp to keep meat the best.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam