Thread: Viekoda bay cabin damaged

Default Viekoda bay cabin damaged

Spoke to Hans at the Kodiak wildlife refuge yesterday and he said that the Viekoda Bay cabin has a damaged foundation and cannot be used. I found out yesterday and had reservations for next Tuesday. Would have been bad to show up with no tent expecting a good cabin and had the plane leave before we found out that the cabin was unusable. If you had reservation phone and ask for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Would have been bad to show up with no tent expecting a good cabin and had the plane leave before we found out that the cabin was unusable.
    But just think....then your inner most "Survior Man" could have been awakened in you again........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well, you have the skinning shed outside to bunk in..

Yes, a nice metal building, I wonder if there are any bears in the area that have learned how to open that door. I've seen their teethmarks right on the metal doorknob.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Well, you have the skinning shed outside to bunk in..
    I would bunk on top of it!
    "Grin and Bear It"

I'm wondering what happened to the cabin.. It's about as new as they come for FS cabins.

Sow/Cubs right down the beach from the cabin

Skinning shed will be at least good storing stuff, and keeping it dry. It's a pretty good size.

Default Viekoda bay cabin damaged

Sounds like foundation failure, maybe due to settling or bear damage. Likely not unusable from a hunter's perspective but untenable for the landowner to rent due to liability concerns.

That isn't the cabin that we stayed in, it's been awhile since we were over there hunting. I think we rented ours from the Native Corp. and they also had a solid metal flat top building for hanging your game. That cabin in the photo looks like a regular palace compared to the one we were in.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Man, that's hard to believe,....I was just there in late August, just stopping by, but I was inside, walked all around the structure

and i can hardly believe it has a problem, with the foundation (?)....as 270ti's photo show, it's really excellently built

Let us know Casper what you find out there

as you say, would be a serious hitch in a plan, to fly out, and find a shambles,...
    but I'm betting you're going to find something habitable
    or at least, the shed alongside will help you guys out a lot
    (that was totally clean by the way, you could stay inside that building, get out of the weather anyway)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    That isn't the cabin that we stayed in, it's been awhile since we were over there hunting. I think we rented ours from the Native Corp. and they also had a solid metal flat top building for hanging your game. That cabin in the photo looks like a regular palace compared to the one we were in.
    It's new. They moved it further into the bay, than the old cabin site. It's rather comfortable accommodations for hunting.

Just looking at the picture it wouldn't be hard to imagine the hill sloughing off with all the recent rain. The foundation may have moved.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Let me shed a little light. With all the rain we have had this year and this being a newly constructed facility, built by a local contractor, the ground around the building has sloughed. In the picture above the area of instability is on the left side, where the stairs are at and the fuel tank is located on the deck. The stairs are tilted and the deck is sagging causing an unsafe condition (for public use). The high winds they had this year damaged the roof and has been replaced already. This cabin has been on the schedule to get repaired but the weather has not been cooperative in this effort. It is the next on their list to get fixed and if the weather cooperates they will get to it in the coouple of weeks. This cabin has been marked as unavailable to rent for a while on the recreational cabin website. I am not sure where you had your reservations booked.

I'll be surprised if a bear doesn't eventually break into this cabin. In a former life I setnetted around the corner in Uganik Passage and each spring, the first thing we'd have to do was clean up the bear damage. We'd nail the door shut and the bears would still claw/bust their way in and just make a mess. Bears seem to not like to go out the same way they go in too. They'd bust in the door, then bust out through the back wall. Same thing happened at the neighbors' cabin.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by OHTroy View Post
    Let me shed a little light. With all the rain we have had this year and this being a newly constructed facility, built by a local contractor, the ground around the building has sloughed. In the picture above the area of instability is on the left side, where the stairs are at and the fuel tank is located on the deck. The stairs are tilted and the deck is sagging causing an unsafe condition (for public use). The high winds they had this year damaged the roof and has been replaced already. This cabin has been on the schedule to get repaired but the weather has not been cooperative in this effort. It is the next on their list to get fixed and if the weather cooperates they will get to it in the coouple of weeks. This cabin has been marked as unavailable to rent for a while on the recreational cabin website. I am not sure where you had your reservations booked.
    I had this cabin booked for 6 months through recreation.gov. I am not sure when Casper50 booked. I just canceled Tuesday the16th. Until then the reserved time blocks were clearly shown on Rec.gov. The only way I found out there was an issue was when Viola at Seahawk gave me aheads up and Hans' phone number. I had previously talked to the refuge to get the exact lat/ long of the new cabin without being told of the issue. Once I established contact with Han's he kept me informed of the progress (or rather lack of progress) pretty well. I saw Casper's original post and was able to warn him in time. I have not been able to get any information about other cabin users from Recreation.gov and had planned on getting Hans to warn other users when I saw discovered Casperís post. We had the only booked time slots on thesite.

At this point I have been told work on the cabin is off for the winter.

Stuff happens, but the lack of communication was very poor. If I had not had help from Seahawk, both parties could have shown up to a condemned cabin.

OHtroy, sounds like you may have some inside track on this. If so, could you use you influence to get a better procedure in place. The folks at recreation.gov are not very Alaska savvy and told me I would have gotten a refund "when I showed up at my campsite" which was why it was unnecessary to call or e-mail me. As Imentioned Hans was very helpful when I got him, but he assumed Rec.gov was doing all the communicating. Finally it was always helpful in the days when the refuge cabins were locally managed to be able to get hooked up with the folks who were using in front of you by asking that they be given my name to contact me if they saw fit. This idea seems to be total unworkable to rec.gov

I shared my thoughts on this with Hans and Rec.gov, but as I said if you can reinforce the need for communication in the future I would appreciate it.