Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .380 or 9mm Kahr for my wife?

Default .380 or 9mm Kahr for my wife?

My wife has shot .44s so she can shoot a big gun. That out of the way... she dislikes the recoil of a .38 2 inch revolver. She hates a 10mm( Glock model 20) with light loads similar to .40 cal. She shoots her Buckmark very well.
    We have been fitting her for a defensive handgun for a few months now and she loves the fit of the single stack Kahrs. She has tried all the other single stack pistols but loves the Kahrs. Since I have never shot a 9mm or .380 I am wondering about the recoil in such a light gun with small hands.
    This is real as my super sweet wife was followed home (while I was on the slope) by a guy who thought she was driving to slow(35 in a 45 due to conditions). He even pulled beside her then fell back right behind her. My teenage boys (in the back seats)were very eager to interviene but the driver left after the boys jumped out of the vehicle. She can shoot but recoil is a concern for her.
    If you see a red ford ranger with a red canopy with bars for a canoe on top I would appreciate it as I would like to talk with him personally, been looking. Trying to intimidate a woman and kids is way down on my list of what makes a man. The girly stickers are being removed from her vehicle.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

This took place in Wasilla, sorry.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

My wife has and carries a KAHR CW9 that I smoothed up a little. I bought her a quality holster type purse.
    My bride of many years has injured wrists, so she is recoil sensitive. I found that the Hornady critical defense ammo was the best factory load for the CW9. It had fairly low recoil, shot the best groups and was dead on a 7 yards with the sights.
    My wife is almost half a century old these days and is about 5' 6" and 140 pounds... The small 9mm does have some recoil, but she is able to fire enough rounds to be able to defend herself with it... They are not guns to take to the range and burn up ammo just for grins...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

My wife came out of Freddyís in Wasilla a couple years ago to find some old guy beating the snot out of her car with his cane and a crowd of people just watching. Crazy people are everyplace. Iím glad the nut drove off and your family is okay.

Iíll be at the Palmer range tonight, if you want to feel the recoil of a pocket 9mm stop by and shoot my LC9.

My advice on what gun though would be the 38 revolver unless she is truly into guns, all she needs to remember under stress with that is aim and pull the trigger. Down-load it to something she likes for her practice time and under stress she will never notice full 38 recoil. Unless she is someone that truly enjoys guns and will get real acquainted with her gun an auto is too involved. Too many do-dads to tinker with and and remember how to work under stress is a bad idea.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have fired both. Personally I think the 9mm was easier on the recoil. Those 380 pocket pistols tend to jump around a good bit
    with strong loads. Best to have her try both.

My CM9 Kahr was sold a few weeks ago. If she gets on of those, I have a pocket holster made for that style Kahr you can have.
    PM me if you buy the 9mm and want it. And if I can find it.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I carried a K9 for a few years and have carried various .380s off and on.

The K9 is all steel and soaks up a bit of recoil but has a pretty stout recoil compared to larger 9mm pistols like a SW59 or Hi-power.

All of the blowback .380s have a nasty, sharp bark....all of them- Beretta 84s, PPKs, Sigs 230/232 and when you get lighter and smaller it just gets worse.

You don't mention which .38 she owns but the Airweight have a pretty stout kick. An all-steel revolver like a SP101, M60, or even a 3" K Frame should be very shootable...much more so than any of the small autos.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Gun aside, she likely needs some firearms training. Even very small hands can wrap around a double stack 9mm. Capacity is a big deal to me, and a single stack in 9mm just doesn't make sense, IMO...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The Kahr P380 is a smaller gun than the 9mms

This may be a more significant factor for recoil than the difference in cartridges.

Recoil isn't the only thing to consider, but in a brief comparision of my Walther PPK 380 to Andy's LC9, the 380s recoil was WORSER than his 9mm.

For me, the length of the grip is what's important, and many small autos dont have enough. I'm guessing, the larger gun would be more pleasant to shoot, and be concealable enough.

JMHO
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The Kahr P380 is a smaller gun than the 9mms

This may be a more significant factor for recoil than the difference in cartridges.

Recoil isn't the only thing to consider, but in a brief comparision of my Walther PPK 380 to Andy's LC9, the 380s recoil was WORSER than his 9mm.

For me, the length of the grip is what's important, and many small autos dont have enough. I'm guessing, the larger gun would be more pleasant to shoot, and be concealable enough.

JMHO
    Smitty of the North
    Yup Iíd agree Smitty, suprisingley the LC9s recoil feels a bit better even with more boom but itís not a big difference to my hand. Your PPK is definitely more accurate and MUCH better looking than my LC9 but ether is plenty accurate for the intended use.

Negatives to me are: PPK didnít heart me or anything but I could feel that it would after a couple loads from where those hard corners on the back of the frame rock into the hand. So recoil sure could be an issue for some with it. The LC9s mile long trigger is just atrocious for target type shooting or plinking. I think they have the longest trigger I ever shot but it works fine and it ainĎt likely to ever get pulled on accident. Nether of these detract from their intended CCW use in my book.

PPK is more concealable but the price is that its a 380, LC9 has a little more power but the price for that is itís a little bigger. But ether are good reliable options and just depends on what someone wants.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the objective views. She will carry a .38 chiefs special until she gets her gun. The .38 is a S@W steel version. I want her to have the gun she wants so she will own it and shoot it regularly. Mr. Fields the offer is greatly appreciated and I am sorry I missed it, truley honored though. Mr. smitty thank you. Boliep, hodgeman, and Float Pilot great info and thought. Hunt Ak confused why a single stack is not acceptable? Bottom line she can shoot the .38 ok and not the 10 in any form, but I want her to love to shoot her gun. She learns well and I am a worrier when I am away. Maybe the .38 is the way for her to go. Honestly I do not know but we are trying to learn without the resourses for her to shoot fitting guns. I geuss even a .25 might be ok as no one wants to get shot but I kind of like the idea she could put a predator down with 1-7 shots. She can carry pepper spray but I have seen contrary results even with cops using it.

Your welcome, Iím there most Wednesday nights now so just holler if you want to shoot it so Iím sure to have it rather than the 357 in my pocket.

My wife packs a S&W 60LS 357. She handles 357 with it in small doses fine in it and will shoot up all the 38s Iíll give her and ask for more. I canít take 357 in that gun at all and 38s beat me up pretty good with that little grip. A well fitting grip makes a world of difference but most guns are made by guys with guy hands.

Getting her to love a 38 could be as simple as finding one with grips that fit your wifeís hand and sprinkling some pink or other color she likes on it. Women tend to be very visual and what looks good to us is ugly to them. Then they tend not to like it and form a negative opinion even before they try it. You ask what they don't like trying to better get what they want and they don't seem to know . . . they know they don't like it but don't seem to know why. So, it helps a lot if they are visually attracted to it, then they seem more open to actually using it and learning about it. My wife can talk your ear off about her Ladysmith yet is completely indifferent to any of my guns that she thinks are ugly even though color and grip shap may be the only difference.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My fiance carries a ruger lcp .380. Clearly not the work of art that many more expensive guns are but she's comfortable with it, enjoys shooting it and will actually carry it since it is so small and slim. Its got a bit of a snap to it but not what I would really call much for recoil. She doens't think so either, which is really whats important.

She carries it with federal hydroshocks, they feed fine and seem to be a slightly reduced load. I have no idea how accurate the gun is, its intended range is about 6' so I typically give her a 10 yard target and she hits it most of the time, good enough for me.

The LCP had some feed issues in early serial numbers but I went ahead and bought hers after reading several articles reporting the issues had been fixed. Hers has NEVER failed to fire or feed properly. It was tight until we put about 100 rounds through it.

My wife has had some hand strength issues over the past several years. She can shoot her .38 snub and her Kahr P9 with standard pressure, but not many rounds per session.

The Kahrs fit small hands well. They are tight when new and need a couple hundred rounds of clean and well-lubed break-in. They generally do not run well dirty (in my somewhat limited experience). While the polymer P series carries well, I think the steel frame K9 (or the larger T9) is a superb choice for someone who cannot handle a lot of recoil. Make sure they can operate the slide reliably, as they have a fairly heavy feeling spring for a 9mm. Load it with standard pressure loads (wife uses old school Federal 9BP; standard pressure Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty, Silvertip, Gold Dot and HST would also be great).

I wish Kahr would make either a slide conversion kit or a complete gun in .22LR. Practicing with the same trigger and feel is about the only way to make shooting Kahrs better. But I'm glad they haven't gone cheap and made a airsoft-like 'clone' like the newer 1911 and M&P .22s, nor a 'not really anything like a centerfire Ruger' .22.

I would like to thank you all again. She liked the KAHRs the best but I liked the sig P239 or Kimber solo. Fortunatly all the Sigs were sold out when I went to buy one and the Kimber I couldn't justify buying because she never held one. So she got her KAHR for Christmas. Her smile and enthusiasm at shooting it is wonderful. Mr. Fields you are probably correct in your assesment of getting her what she wants is most important. It fits her and she wants to do well with it. She is happy so I am and I like to shoot it as well. I bought her the CW9 she wanted and I am very happy i listened and didn't get the .380. Thanks again for the experienced opinions and advice.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 2 View Post
    So she got her KAHR for Christmas. Her smile and enthusiasm at shooting it is wonderful.

When Mama is happy, everybody is happy.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default get her a bigger gun..

This brave lady probably wished now that she would have had a BIGGER more powerful pistol so the perp can't come back to harm her in the future: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/06...-con-intruder/
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Have you considered the sig sauer P238 or kimber 9mm's?

tvfinak, she will not shoot a 500 s&w, nor do I want to. She has shot a mild 10mm and couldn't control it. I will have quality rounds in her 9mm and she will be ok. It is better for her to hit her target with a QUALITY round than miss with a powerhouse. That is the same reason I was convinced, by members on here, to bypass the lesser .380 round in a blowback pistol. RECOIL. Wet eNuf, that is what I wanted for her but not what she wanted. She is a quality shooter and I am happy.

Good choice for Mama. I carry my CW9 more than any of my other handguns. I don't have small hands, but the CW9 frame still fits and shoots well for me.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/c...-on-a-handgun/
    well worth a read
    there is a school of though that says your job is 3 fold
    hold her purse
    provide the cash when she buys it
    make sure the counter monkey doesn't force her into a gun she doesn't like...

some basics
    light gun = more difficult to control (try shooting a airweight S&W .357... or a Kahr 40, or the worse one, a Kel Tec P40...)
    the smaller the gun the more difficult to control
    the more powerful the round the harder to control (with cravats, .40/10mm is touted by many to be more 'snappy' than something like .45ACP)

SO...
    some thing like a .32 in a pocket auto is better than .380 because it's better to hit than to miss... (I'm VERY partial to the KT P32)
    a gun like a S&W 3913 (metal, compact, but still a 'whole hand' gun) is better than a micro 9mm...

and for ease of shooting, a comfortable FULL SIZE beats it little brethren.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast