Thread: outfitter guides for bear... who to go with?

Default outfitter guides for bear... who to go with?

My wife has family coming up for a possible spring hunt. We are limited to what to hunt in the spring so they have decided to go with a full guided brown/black bear hunt.

They have asked for some input as to who to use. I have not had the need for a guide so not sure who to point them to.

Does anyone have any good recommendations as to w ho to send them to?

From what I have seen most are 1 on 1 or 1 on 2. If by any chance they want me to tag along are there any out there that will add one to the hunt for one guide and 3 hunters?

Thanks for your inputs.

Mont

It depends on their priorities. What are they looking for in a hunt? Do they hope for as close to a sure thing as possible? Trophy quality? Hunt quality? If it were my dollars, I'd look pretty seriously at Jake Jefferson (aka BRWNBR on these forums), as hunt quality trumps all other factors for me. He does brown/black bear combo hunts and since he is a one-man show, he can custom design trips around the needs of his clients.

I've never hunted with the guy, but in years of reading these forums I am convinced that would be the first place I would look.

What he said about Jake Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It depends on their priorities. What are they looking for in a hunt? Do they hope for as close to a sure thing as possible? Trophy quality? Hunt quality? If it were my dollars, I'd look pretty seriously at Jake Jefferson (aka BRWNBR on these forums), as hunt quality trumps all other factors for me. He does brown/black bear combo hunts and since he is a one-man show, he can custom design trips around the needs of his clients.

I've never hunted with the guy, but in years of reading these forums I am convinced that would be the first place I would look.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I will echo what the others have said. If I was looking for a guide Jake would be the first I would call.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akp...ting/index.htm
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I would talk to Jake.. If you are looking for the upcoming spring I would hurry as the better guides are booked pretty far out.. Just out of curiosity what is their relation to you as you may be able to take them out on a Brown bear hunt under 2nd degre rule...just a thought... if you strike out with Jake feel free to PM me and I can give you a name of a top notch guide or two..
    Dave

Jake Jefferson would be my guide of choice.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    Jake Jefferson would be my guide of choice.
    Dave Leonard of mountain monarchs......is great

Not that Jake is not!

Mont
    thought about this thread a bit.. are they looking for a griz or coastal brown.. no peninsula hunt this up coming spring so choices are more limited...
    need to act quick for permits also if that is an option they want to persue..

Default outfitter guides for bear... who to go with?

Also need to act quick if this is a 2013 hunt. Many guides are booking out now.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Jake has his own service but I don't know who the other good guides here work for.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by monthunter View Post
    My wife has family coming up for a possible spring hunt. We are limited to what to hunt in the spring so they have decided to go with a full guided brown/black bear hunt.

They have asked for some input as to who to use. I have not had the need for a guide so not sure who to point them to.

Does anyone have any good recommendations as to w ho to send them to?

From what I have seen most are 1 on 1 or 1 on 2. If by any chance they want me to tag along are there any out there that will add one to the hunt for one guide and 3 hunters?

Thanks for your inputs.

Mont
    If you just want to "tag along', there may be a very small charge for your transportation to the field and return, and for a minimal amount of food. If you are also going to "hunt", than you're no longer just tagging along, bur are one of the hunting party. You'll no doubt then be charged as an additional hunter.