Thread: Hogue, Bell & Carlson, or other stock?

Question Hogue, Bell & Carlson, or other stock?

Hey folks-

I bought a 338 Howa barrelled action and am trying to decide which stock to put on it. I had ordered a JRS Classic laminate from Boyd's in January. They told me 90 days then. Now they are telling me middle of June, so I am gonna cancel that and try something else.

I think I have narrowed it to two choices, either a Hogue Overmolded or a Bell and Carlson Medalist. Both would have the aluminum block bedding. I like the fact that the B&C comes with a Pachmyr, whereas Hogue has their own recoil pad. However, from the descriptions on the web it seems like the Hogue might be a bit stiffer with the skeleton frame, whereas the B&C is one-piece synthetic. The Hogue seems like it might also be a bit softer and quieter, but I haven't had my hands on either, so I am hoping some of you folks can give me some first-hand knowledge.

Thanks.

Me personally I would go with the B&C medalist or there Weatherby style one. To me the JRS and the Hogue are "clubby" feeling. The WBY style will make up into a nice handling and trim (thou not too light) rifle.

JMNTBHO

Default B & C

I put a B & C Medilist stock (green with black web) on my Browing A-Bolt 308.

It came in on the scale at 6 lbs. Best feeling, shooting rifle I own. I shoot Federal 308 hot 180 grains loads thru it. Ft. lbs are higher then a 30.06 & shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yards. Its a no brainer from my experiance

I really like my Pacific Precision (now Rimrock) on my 338. It reduced my groups from 1.5 to below 1 inch and reduced the felt recoil too. Jim

I would also choose the B&C Medalist over the Hogue stock. The Hogue stock never impressed me much.

Default Stocks

My vote would be for the B&C over the houge. But then again I think I would rather have a McMillan over either but that is just my own preferences.

I just got a houge for my .30-06, and I love it. I've never tried those other stocks, but you wouldn't go wrong with the houge. It very quiet, and has grippy feel that is amazing compared to a regular synthetic.

-Eric

I have a hogue and a b&c.

go b&c unless you can afford a REALLY good stock.

Thought I might toss this out there. Keep an eye on that internet auction site. I've picked up some nice stocks on there cheap. Picked up both high end synthetics and factory laminated take offs for my Remington 700's. Last one was a H-S Precision with a Dead Mule recoil reducer installed annd optional OD/black web finish. I priced this at nearly $500 on the H-S website, and got it for $97.00!