Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A call to arms: How do we give a positive voice to hunting rights?

Lightbulb A call to arms: How do we give a positive voice to hunting rights?

My thought is this, we need to support any and all Pro-hunter interests at a local and national scale. If we dont have a voice, then the CRAZIES will yell louder, and i think most Americans are neutral, they don't care if we hunt or not. But if the Anti hunters yell long enough, loud enough and we hunters are silent,they could swing the minds of the masses over time.

So i heard rumors that Melissa Bachman got kicked off of her job from National Geographic. Seems like there were too many gun nuts that didnt like what she said, and National geographic just gave her the boot. A feller did a NICE write up on it, and it shows how anit hunters think, and the extremes they are driven to. Great info if you ever have to argue with an anti hunter!

http://www.realtree.com/hunting/arti...d-anti-hunters

That last article shows the internet as a "force" to be reckoned with. If something goes "viral" even if it is an idea or funny video main stream media is beginning to pick up on that and react to it. If you can get National Geographic to Fire someone that is a hunter with just a lousy petition of 18000 people, how can we combat that? The only way it can start i guess is make a counter petition... i sighned it.

http://www.change.org/petitions/natg...ort-of-hunting

I think that over all to protect hunting rights sites and boards like this one will be instrumental. I just wish that we hunters could get a viral video of what we stand for out there. I understand why Ms. Bachman's photot went viral... Hot chick with a BIG bear and Pink Fletch arrows in cammo... kind of hot and sensationalist. So how do we hunters do it? Can we make a video go viral that is pro hunting?? Maybe some one has a wheeler bloopers video and a short bit of hunting in it, and then moose for dinner???

For me , it all about Food, the chase and economy based on Hunting/Gathering/Fishing.... Litterally the sum of its parts are well worth the persuit, in health, in food, in doing something good to be involved in and in Cash to carry on the cycles of persuit.

Gulf coast Subsistence Hunters/gatherers/fishermen/Gaterfishers? didnt get a voice or a settlement that I know of from the Deep Explorer blowout inthe Gulf. It effected many folks in Food, health and economy and because they couldnt put a $$ price on such living , they get nothing.

My expressed idea, if I should get to convay it with little or no editing, is that liveing part or full time from the materials/fuels/animals and fish around you is an Earth friendly Thing as it is healthy in cultrue, food and inner happyness. Its good to hunt in so many undescribable ways, I must just say its "Natural" and all that it entails.

At the very least, the Hunting shows that are all over the TV at least show people shooting animals , and not just each other, as TV used to.

If they dont like that, Nuke 'em till they glow.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

We've already covered this issue...and I will say again that for the life of me I don't know why anyone would sign a petition asking to reinstate a non-resident on a reality tv show that is supposed to be about surviving in Alaska.

And Spookum, I think some of the points the author made in that article precludes the notion that we should support "any and all" pro-hunter interests. There is a lot of bad things going on out there in the world of "hunting." We see it on some of the shows as the author brings up, and I too "cringe." Think about it, if hunters cringe at things they see, what do you suppose non-hunters think? In many ways we are our own worst enemy.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Well it happend.. I received my FIRST message from a Non/anti hunter on face book this week, due to my comments on another hunters page.. i must admit i am quite surprised a her tone, and respectful opinion.

thank you I appreciate your posts. I agree on the slaughter house. I also understand population control. However, I do not condone hunting, I feel we are at an age in time in which population control could be much more humane and innovative (ie birth control, as we do our pets). Shooting an animal who is sensitive and kind, social in its associations, I find violent. I do not care about financial profits and losses, such as car insurance, when discussing the life and value of a sentient creature. I am not ignorant, I just feel astounded that we live in a world of such violence.
    while i did address the concept of Birth control on wild animals, and how expensive it was for the state of Ak to undertake when they tried it. i also. confirmed i would not attempt to change her mind on her opinion... and thanked her for being open, honest and freindly in her message to me.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Though most of the drive by online posts by anti, or however they choose to be named, hunters are rude and ignorant, not all are. When a channel like nat geo calls an ar-15 "long rifle" on one show, then an ar-15 "assult rifle" on another show says it all. They are not all ignorant, just hypocrites, self serving, and unchangeable. The only thing you or i can do is be a positive influence on our friends, family, and others we meet in respect to hunting. I agree though, we are our own worst enemy, sad to see.

So what can be done if hunters and non hunters both agree that hunters are the enemy?

Bring forth the iocane powder and let them settle this battle of wits.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Well it happend.. I received my FIRST message from a Non/anti hunter on face book this week, due to my comments on another hunters page.. .
    I think you can adjust your settings so you don't receive messages unless they are from your friends. If you look around on the internet some, there are some very distasteful hunting photos out there, the ones I saw were of coyotes. Though I am a hunter, I found them to be somewhat disturbing, and why someone would post a photo like that in the first place is beyond my comprehension.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I think you can adjust your settings so you don't receive messages unless they are from your friends. If you look around on the internet some, there are some very distasteful hunting photos out there, the ones I saw were of coyotes. Though I am a hunter, I found them to be somewhat disturbing, and why someone would post a photo like that in the first place is beyond my comprehension.
    lol I am not that type.. beside i have had a fruit ful conversation... and awarded a "THANK YOU FOR EXPLAINING THINGS TO ME< I UNDERSTAND" from this lady... where her first response to the photo of a shot elk... was.. " your mother should have aborted you" and i welcomed her to ask me anytime should she have a question.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

lol I am not that type.. beside i have had a fruit ful conversation... and awarded a "THANK YOU FOR EXPLAINING THINGS TO ME< I UNDERSTAND" from this lady... where her first response to the photo of a shot elk... was.. " your mother should have aborted you" and i welcomed her to ask me anytime should she have a question.....
    It's interesting that she would call the killing of an animal "violent". I'd have to ask her if she ate meat and that if she views the killing of the cow violent? Even more so I'd also have to ask if she thinks abortion is violent or if it would be "ok" if it was just about aborting you?

I'm definitely glad you got the "Thank you and I understand" from her....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It's interesting that she would call the killing of an animal "violent". I'd have to ask her if she ate meat and that if she views the killing of the cow violent? Even more so I'd also have to ask if she thinks abortion is violent or if it would be "ok" if it was just about aborting you?

I'm definitely glad you got the "Thank you and I understand" from her....
    If they eat a MickyDs burger, a good place to start is to discuss the quality of life that cow had. Or the exact method of its death. I'd rather not get into details but both are a sad story, especially compared to an animal I might harvest.

I second/third the congrats for winning another one over.

Violence.

Thats what its all about, this Deathly enterprize we call Hunting. What is life without a proper application of Violence?? There could be no Life without Death.

Death dosent scare me, its the violence and pain it takes to get Dead I am scared of....someday the Worms will come for whats theirs......

Untill then, with thegood advice of AGL, we will come for the Bears.........

Mortisa Adams said "What is common for the Spider is Chaos to the Fly"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    If they eat a MickyDs burger, a good place to start is to discuss the quality of life that cow had. Or the exact method of its death.
    Or how it lived before if was "violently" killed. I can remember a place on a freeway in CA. where you new you were getting close to a cattle "ranch".....(if you would call it that). You could smell it for miles before you got there. By the time you could see it from the freeway you were already feeling a bit nauseous, then you got to see what you were smelling. There were dozens of what were supposed to be black and white cows, that were now almost totally green from lying in their own crap. At that time when I saw them there had to be hundreds of them in a pen about the size of a McDonalds. I also think that not many people realize how a calf raised for veal lives before it is killed.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Vince I was part of a deer cull in the east coast many years ago at a park where they needed to thin out the heard.. Had several of these conversations with folks like this and asked them what thier solution was and a lady looked me square in the face and said let them get runned over by cars,I informed her of how much a deer could damage and injure or even kill the person who hits it an she was unphased...I was floored that a human life was worth that little to her very sad how some of these folks minds work..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Vince I was part of a deer cull in the east coast many years ago at a park where they needed to thin out the heard.. Had several of these conversations with folks like this and asked them what thier solution was and a lady looked me square in the face and said let them get runned over by cars,I informed her of how much a deer could damage and injure or even kill the person who hits it an she was unphased...I was floored that a human life was worth that little to her very sad how some of these folks minds work..
    those are the ones you sit down in front of the zombie sheep movie that came out several years ago... theyll understand then

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    We've already covered this issue...and I will say again that for the life of me I don't know why anyone would sign a petition asking to reinstate a non-resident on a reality tv show that is supposed to be about surviving in Alaska.

And Spookum, I think some of the points the author made in that article precludes the notion that we should support "any and all" pro-hunter interests. There is a lot of bad things going on out there in the world of "hunting." We see it on some of the shows as the author brings up, and I too "cringe." Think about it, if hunters cringe at things they see, what do you suppose non-hunters think? In many ways we are our own worst enemy.

Let me clarify and try to focus. As a community of hunters we come from a variety of backgrounds. Some of us hunt to fix broken relationships with family members. Some of us hunt to keep memories alive. Some of us hunt to fill the freezer. Some of us hunt to push ourselves and to test our mettle aginst the elements. Some of us test ourseves against the most wise and unforgiving of quarry and the bigger, the tougher and better.

If you look at it from a different point of view we hunt for many reasons:

I hunt for nearly religous reasons- i feel closer to God; the life/death cycle people ignore plays out every season and so much more!

I hunt for the trophy value; I love plotting myself against another wise living creature that is more at home in the inviromant than i am

I hunt for the mental challenge; I have to prepare for every eventuality, from mechanical failures to freak storms... my life and others hang in the balance.

i hunt to fill the freezer; eating beans SUCK!!!!! I WANT MEAT!!!! <<dont worry im currently persuing winter hunts>>

I hunt for tradition; I have been hunting since i was way young, dad grandpa and other kin. Im passing this down to my daugthers, and any that come after.

I hunt for the adrenaline; Some folks throw themselves off of bridges bunjee jumping, or drive race cars. Pulling down on a legal animal and having a chance to be successful is what i live fore

I hunt to keep my head strait; Dad and grandpa have taken me to the wilds when i wasn't right in the head. Love getting my priorities simplified.. No BS... just the basics. Stay warm. Eat Sleep, take time to LVIE.... Depend on family that is what is important.

I hunt to stay stong; I know some folks run marathons to be healthy, me, i push myself physicly hunting. The next legal animal could just over the next ridge. Or maybe it is religion.. if i put out long enough, hard enough ill be rewarded... or is it just the odds..

The point is, that if you roll all these words into just a sentence, it only sums up half of what hunting means to me. How can we put this one sentence out into the main stream so regular folks can see what it means to us to hunt?

What could be even better is to put it into a photo.

What does hunting mean to you????

what you should do Vince,

Is discuss with your new Facebook friend, that in a way, she's a racist. If she's indeed so against hunting they she can't take into consideration that hunting in some of the remote regions of North America, far away from the cities bloated with produce, far away from the roads, is a way of life that goes thousands of indigenous generations deep.....than she's a racist. I've done that a time or two, they don't know what to say. They stumble on "sustainable agriculture" as if they're recalling some trendy/stupid farm down the road from San Francisco. They never take into consideration of how vast, inhospitable, and remote some regions of North America are. It at least gets em thinking.

Heck we don't even respect each other on this forum and its a very small sample of new/old hunters.To me hunting has become a fashion show and the old average Joe hunter has become trophy minded.Boone and Crockett and SCI records as hopes for all instead of elitist patting themselves on the back.We are our own enemy and now days easy to spot in hundreds of dollar hunting togs big rigs and trailers hauling whatever spouting rights and forgetting the non-hunter has the same exact rights to enjoy the outdoors in their own way.We fight against their rights so they fight us and their numbers are legion compared to us.
    When the younger group here stomps on the way the elders have done it all their life its not hard for them to think much along the lines of the anti's on the new wave of hunters. Most old timers I know have become very environmentalist in ideals as they aged.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Remind me to rep Will when I can...and I love the JMOFO at the end! <grin>

The hunter gatherer is the only group that can sustain itself for long periods of real world time and will continue as always when the big cities fall to decay.. We have these hunter gatherer groups around today that have lived their life the same for tens of thousands of years which is something no enlighted group has come close to doing.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The TV shows of hunting are disturbing. I vividly remember some goose hunting tv show where the guys connected quite well on a flock of geese from the ground blinds. They put on this heavy metal type back-ground music and began violently shaking the dead geese by the neck gutturally screaming out of excitement. It was so disturbing, that I've never watched another hunting show since. Bizarre group of uh........necks that don't tan but.......

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast