Thread: AOSS, Hydrosorbs, Bungees... etc Beneifits/Flaws Vs Cost

Default AOSS, Hydrosorbs, Bungees... etc Beneifits/Flaws Vs Cost

With a bungee strut you are going to have and adverse recovery of the gear due to the stored kinetic energy of the gear itself. Basically you tend to bounce or hop. I realize that this has a lot to do with your landing and of coarse WHERE you land. Bungees are the least expensive of the options but if i plan to do off-field work I am thinking the investment in a better system might be merited.

I have heard a lot of praise for the AOSS. I am curious as to whether someone can give me some of the dis-ads or possible issues other than cost. Also, if as i stated earlier i plan to do a fair amount of off-field landings are they worth the investment in the opinion of those people who have experience? Are there other options?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingblind View Post
    With a bungee strut you are going to have and adverse recovery of the gear due to the stored kinetic energy of the gear itself. Basically you tend to bounce or hop. I realize that this has a lot to do with your landing and of coarse WHERE you land. Bungees are the least expensive of the options but if i plan to do off-field work I am thinking the investment in a better system might be merited.

I have heard a lot of praise for the AOSS. I am curious as to whether someone can give me some of the dis-ads or possible issues other than cost. Also, if as i stated earlier i plan to do a fair amount of off-field landings are they worth the investment in the opinion of those people who have experience? Are there other options?
    There will no doubt be occasions when you will wish you had bungee gear. While oleo struts tend to soften the bumps, there may well be times when you will appreciate having been "bounced" off the ground. This will be especially true when using gravel bars and other less than perfect surfaces. The same might be said for mechanical, rather than electrical, flaps.

I'm not recommending any particular pilot techniques, just saying that there are times when hydraulic gear may not be the best bush gear.

I'd like to see a responses from Mr. Pid and Float Pilot on this matter . . . . . As for bouncy landings, those are more closely related to landing techniques, in my estimation.

As far as i know, the AOSS is not an oleo strut, rather a hysteresis (compressing of polyurethane) system. are you referring to the hydrosorbs or just lumping the aoss in.. or is there something else i don't know about?

My first cub had bungees and the cub I have now has AOSS. While there is no doubt in my mind that the AOSS is a better system, by no means do I consider it a must have mod. Most pilots would be much better served to spend the money on fuel and learn to hit your spot, smoothly, at the slowest speed possible and bouncing is not a problem. Especially if you plant it with some forward sitck on a wheel landing.

That being said, if you are a compotent off airport pilot and have the money burning a hole in your pocket, the AOSS is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    My first cub had bungees and the cub I have now has AOSS. While there is no doubt in my mind that the AOSS is a better system, by no means do I consider it a must have mod. Most pilots would be much better served to spend the money on fuel and learn to hit your spot, smoothly, at the slowest speed possible and bouncing is not a problem. Especially if you plant it with some forward sitck on a wheel landing.

That being said, if you are a compotent off airport pilot and have the money burning a hole in your pocket, the AOSS is nice.
    have you experienced issues where you would like the bounce back or recovery of the bungee over the aoss? Oh, and Grizzly 2, is the reason you were stating the desire for the bounce due to the slow recovery of the aoss? ie. you land, the gear spreads and begins a slow recovery all the while your gear is still splayed out and rocks are ahead...

AOSS applies to Cub gear only. I was never a fan. I never had a gear rebound that made me bounce that I didn't cause with poor airspeed and descent control. That's a problem with me, not the shocks. If I was worried about bounce on a particularly short LZ I'd rather lower the air pressure in the bushwheels to about 3#. There won't be any bounce with that. I played with it but never required it. 99% of Cub guys wouldn't require it. The other 1% aren't asking the internet about it.

If I was building a plane and didn't already have good hydrosorbs I'd probably buy AOSS. If I had good hydrosorbs I'd use them until they needed replacement and then consider the best replacement strategy. I don't think either one will make any difference in aircraft capability.

have you experienced issues where you would like the bounce back or recovery of the bungee over the aoss? Oh, and Grizzly 2, is the reason you were stating the desire for the bounce due to the slow recovery of the aoss? ie. you land, the gear spreads and begins a slow recovery all the while your gear is still splayed out and rocks are ahead...
    I was referring to takeoffs, not landings. I'd always favor the bungees for takeoff. My landings always did, and still do, depend upon airspeed, approach angle, and landing configuration. All things being equal, and if the stick is held in your lap where it belongs, landings won't be bouncy at any rate.

with regard to stopping time.. is it significant, the difference that is...?

have you experienced issues where you would like the bounce back or recovery of the bungee over the aoss? ...
    No, I cannot think of any situation where I would prefer the stock setup vs the AOSS.

I have heard a few pilots say that AOSS is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't agree with that. It is a nice system for various reasons, maintenance free being one of them. However it does not turn a cub into a completely different airplane. If a cub came with the AOSS (which my second one did) great, but I would fly one without it and rarely miss it.