Thread: 44 mag hard cast

Default 44 mag hard cast

need load data for 44 mag hard cast 300 gr gas check and 250 gr. To be used in Ak Backpacker special. Short barrell. Thanks much.

Thumbs up Hardcast

I have used the 320 LBT FNGC in my 44 Mag SW for years with 20.0 of H110.

The factory load Federal Gold Medal 250 FPJ in the 44 Mag is what I know use in my 44 mag in Bear Country.

Default H110

Most of the .44 Mag loads that I've put together were using 240 gr. LSWC and somewhere in the mid 20's gr. H110. Always had good accuracy and high velocity. Been a while since I've loaded them though.

The only other load I've done for that cartridge was a mild one using the same bullets (bought a large supply!) over 8 gr. Unique. That was for a Ruger Vaquero I had for a short time about 12 years ago.

There's certainly no lack of info on this board about .44 Mag loads, or for that matter, all over the net and in numerous loading manuals and books.
    Good luck.

Dave

Default Beartooth Bullets.

Bear tooth bullets had wonderful hard lead bullets with gas checks and also has reloading date avalible on thier site. Go to Beartoothbullets.com and go to the load swap tab on the top of the site. They have several loads presented. The whole site is full of usefull information. The have several programs to calculate formulas that are purtinate to the reloader.
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man
    I have used the 320 LBT FNGC in my 44 Mag SW for years with 20.0 of H110.

The factory load Federal Gold Medal 250 FPJ in the 44 Mag is what I know use in my 44 mag in Bear Country.
    I've a couple of boxes of 325WLNGC from Marshall over at Beartooth and yet to receive and reload for my Smith 629 4". He mentions he fires up with 21 grns with H110 and with his 6" Smith gets around 1200fps per--what are you chroning with your loads? just curious, I suspect 1100fps with mine @ 4"

regards.

I'm loading 20 grains of H110 over CCI mag primers with 300 HC. From my 4" 629 these loads hover just below 1100 fps, around 1175 fps from my 7.5" Redhawk, and just over 1200 fps with my 8 3/8" 629. Both 629's are Magnaported, but I can't say if that's cutting velocity any. To reach those velocities with any kind of consistency requires a heavy crimp, the kind that really shortens case life. Velocity drops a lot and gets eratic, plus powder ignition is a lot worse, with what I would consider a normal crimp.

thanks, BB. I received in the mail from BTB them bullets as mentioned. Had my young daughter help out with resizing and priming and seating-I done the powder weighing. Showed her the importance of detail work and since my boys at present are not so inclined - she took right to it
    Anyways I loaded up per Marshalls load@21 grns of H110 with good crimp and using by the way 155 Feds and fired off 6 rounds. Pretty stout as I supposed and bullets fitted the cylinder just fine as well.
    I loaded 6 more down to 20.5 grns and will use my chrono today. I do not need a long ranger but a hard hitter at close range-have not needed a handgun for any true shooting of meat thus far. Rifle tends to work out just dandy These 6 rounds were pretty accurate, I will set up a 6" round target @25 yds and began to get use to these solids.
    just rambling BrownBear-dont mind me. Generally I carry my Bisley 45 with solids but this Smith carrys quite well.

regards,

Default Beartooth bullets...

Im looking at ordering some 300 hard cast bullets from beartooth today for my .44 Mag.. question for any of you. Do you typically order 1 or 2 thousandth's over .429"? I have used their 425 WLNGC bullets for my Marlin and order them at .460" and they work great. Any thoughts? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnflyak
    Im looking at ordering some 300 hard cast bullets from beartooth today for my .44 Mag.. question for any of you. Do you typically order 1 or 2 thousandth's over .429"? I have used their 425 WLNGC bullets for my Marlin and order them at .460" and they work great. Any thoughts? thanks!
    that is only determied by sizing your cylinder throats-but typically yes. My Smith shoots the .431" dia. and justs about drops thru each throat but requires a "little" nudge. I had some .430 WFNGC that shot quite well but still with solids you need to size them to your firearm to get accurate results.

Default .44 mag hard cast

Thanks a lot!