Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Deer reports?

Default PWS Deer reports?

I'm going in a couple weeks but havent heard any reports yet. I'm looking to go to Montague or the surrounding islands for deer. I'm not totally committed to a spot yet, just waiting to hear some good news first so I can put some meat in the freezer. Thanks in advance guys.

Might be waiting for good news for awhile, I think if people were doing any good, then we would be hearing something. I am going to give it a try soon, with lower expectations than years past, I will give a report when I get back
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Well hopefully you go before me and give a kick ass report. I'm going first week in November Do you think thats too early to try hunting along the beach in the mornings or evenings? We have more snow than last year this time, it seems like.

I have heard from a couple folks that have gone and they are not seeing any fawns, and not very many deer in general. We put 80 miles on the boat (so stayed pretty close to port) last saturday without a sighting. We did not stomp around the mountains though, so your mileage may vary. Winter was setting in - I felt a little sorry for the critters that live out there all year long.

We were out for a few days. Covered a lot of ground and only saw one deer.... Not looking good. I am going back out for 7 days to see what I can find.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Hmm, well maybe in the next couple of week well get some snow to push them down. I'm only going to be out for a couple of days and that will be all I can do for hunting this year. Hopefully it pans out. Im going bonkers seeing everybody's stories and not able to get out there myself.

I had a buddy who went out and shot 3 bucks. When he told me where he went, I was very surprised. I would have never thought of stopping there and looking for deer. Look outside the box.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I've never been out there before so I don't really have a good idea of where to start anyways. I'll just cruise along the shoreline until I see some topography I like.

The weather looks iffy, but we are going to try and head out tomorrow and stay through the weekend

I'm heading out sometime with in the next 5 days..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

AK Gray, that's good to hear. Good luck, hopefully you'll have time to get online and let us know how the trip goes.

Good Luck All, shooting for Mid Nov myself...Had luck last season 1st week in Dec.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I've heard that later you go the better, but first week in November is all i got this year. I'm hopeful that I'll have some luck, at the very least I'll have a good time.

We had good luck Thanksgiving last year out on naked and perry island, no nice bucks though. I wish I was able to do it again this year!

Good luck to you guys going out and chasing deer. I hope the deer get an 'easy' winter this year, sounds like they need it. No deer hunt for me this year, buddies got other stuff going on.

The islands already have a layer of snow. Really hoping this winter goes easy on them. We hit Perry a week and a half ago and saw almost no sign, what we did see was very old.

Being this late, will bears be much of an issue at all? Has anybody seen any while cruising around?

Still plenty early for bears. I've run into them clear to early Dec.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default PWS Deer reports?

There will certainly still be bears out. And with the lack of salmon this year they may be a little hungry.

Deer numbers are down as expected, but there are still some out there. We seen two and took one. The wind had us pinned down pretty good, but for the first time, I didn't get poured on by rain or snow. There was a lot of snow on the islands when we first got out, but the sun has been melting some of it during the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast