Thread: Best Place to Hunt

Default Best Place to Hunt

I have the opportuntiy to move to either Kodiak, Achorage, or Juneau. I am interested in blacktail hunting and wanted to know the best spot in order to do that. I dont have a boat so travel is limited. Although I have a 4 wheel drive and a four wheeler. Thanks!

Kodiak every time.

Kodiak,, seen plenty right off the road system.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Out of the three choices you have listed, I would choose Kodiak for sure. And there are plenty of boats there, I'm sure you would be able to find someone that could take you off the road system if you wanted to go that route.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Kodiak has better hunting & fishing. But you can take 4 in Juneau (vs 1 off the road system in Kodiak & 3 island-wide) and there is no need (currently) for any trespass permits. If you don't have a boat, then you are stuck hunting the Juneau mainland + Douglas Island. Doesn't matter that you have a 4 wheel drive or a 4 wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastiemater View Post
    I have the opportuntiy to move to either Kodiak, Achorage, or Juneau. I am interested in blacktail hunting and wanted to know the best spot in order to do that.
    AT THIS TIME you are interested in blacktail hunting. But if you move to AK. and you like to hunt I'd have to believe that, in time, (a short time) you WILL want to hunt many of the other fantastic critters AK. has to offer. Personally I wouldn't limit yourself. To give yourself a good place to set out for any and all of them, then Anchorage would be the place. It's just a better centralized location for access. Of course you'd have to like the "big" city....lol

Just something to think about.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I am guessing you are a Coastie from your screen name..been there done that...KODIAK...job satisfaction AND hunting out your back door...living the dream...Best of Luck...Sempre Paratus

The Coast Guard Station on Kodiak is awesome, they have an incredible fish house to clean you catch, boat rentals and the fine men and women that serve there are IMHO some of the best.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Choice 4...............Cordova

Deer, moose, goats, black bear, brown bear, ducks, geese, Sandhill cranes, grouse, ptarmigan, hares, all kinds of fishing, and trapping.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Well when I was in the USCG I sure wanted Kodiak..always heard what a great station it was... Will be a little different with my answer but do you have family and what do they think... Being an Island and small community sometimes you can feel closed in although the airport or ferry are close by. The thing with Anchorage,not that I like the city much,but you are more centrally located well south centrally and there are more oppurtuinities then black tail within an hour or two drive...I have hunted moose,blackbear,brownbear,sheep,goat all within a two hour drive of anchorage and you can still take the ferry or fly to Kodiak and utilize the facilities at the base..
    no matter what station you decide you will be in Alaska and that wont be bad at all....heck my detailer wanted to send me to a station in the middle of no where with no hunting in sight..LOL

Some great replies. I greatly appreciate it. Yes I am in the Coast Guard and have a wife and son so I am trying to please everyone here lol. I want to hunt but I know my wife will not want to feel alone on an island. Those are the only 3 choices I have but I should be able to get whichever want. Seems like the best place that I getting is Kodiak. Although my job there would be much more boring then Juneau. I have never hunted any big game. I am an avid whitetail hunter but always wanted to try bigger game.

To be real with ya CM,...the isolation factor,.... especially for women, is a Real Deal,....don't short sell that
    It is Notoriously Hard on the girls, .....tho we do have a small size Walmart, for shopping excitement,....

Tho I am pretty big on Kodiak, my first thoughts reading this were, the central location of Anchorage
    opportunities to hunt all kinds of species,
    and Lots of Road System, to get you out there, from cruising all the way up to the Haul Road Caribou Chase
    to cruising down to the Kenai Peninsula for Black Bear Galore

Kodiak, especially if confined to the road system, is not all that awesome,...some 100 miles total I think
    and all kinds of locals scampering around those hills off the Road System,...Lots of Native Land restrictions around the road system

a couple things to look at are the Leisnoi Corporation (Native Land, PAY to Hunt, pick berries, even camp on their land) Land Holdings

Just a thought, from a local perspective,....I love it here, but have a boat, never even remotely consider hunting the Road System
    but I know guys that do,...it's not too pretty, but they do pull down Goats and Deer now and then

Also, for your consideration, It is a Massive CG Base here, which you no doubt are aware,
    and as I have seen around the coast, some of those smaller CG Postings are fairly attractive,
    for the low stress, friendships, etc. made,.....versus the Lost in the Crowd factor at USCG Kodiak (?)

PS: Thanks, Really Big Time,...for your service to us all,....your team saved my life once,...
    Hope you get your first choice, and Just Love Your Alaska Duty,..your wife and son too
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Best Place to Hunt

Cordova should be on your list. But if it is not then it would be a toss up between the big city and the small island town. Juneau would be my fourth choice.

Just think of Kodiak as a small town with a long horrible drive to the next small town.

As a former island dweller - Adak - it's not the size of the town that gets people. It's their attitude about the weather that caves in their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastiemater View Post
    I have never hunted any big game. I am an avid whitetail hunter but always wanted to try bigger game.
    Just so you know....deer are considered big game.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Cordova should be on your list. But if it is not then it would be a toss up between the big city and the small island town. Juneau would be my fourth choice.

Just think of Kodiak as a small town with a long horrible drive to the next small town.

As a former island dweller - Adak - it's not the size of the town that gets people. It's their attitude about the weather that caves in their mind.
    While I don't argue that Cordova has decent opportunities, for someone new to the state with a family the weather there might just be a little to much. I don't think I could enjoy shoveling that much snow !

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    I don't think I could enjoy shoveling that much snow !
    But think of all the cool snow forts the kids can build.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    I don't think I could enjoy shoveling that much snow !
    Two words....Snow Thrower
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson