Thread: Missing pilot and plane. Please read

Default Missing pilot and plane. Please read

Hi guys,

I know this is the hunting forum but I figured more people would read it. Our relative and friend Brendan Mattingly went missing Saturday the 13th along with his super cub. He was last seen getting into his plane at around 9 AM on Saturday morning in Soldotna. He lives in Palmer and we are assuming that he was heading home. There is no flight plan.

He was flying a green, red and white cub. I know many of you may have already seen this on the news but if any of you pilots or hunters can keep your eyes peeled when you are out and about we would appreciate it. I'll try to post photos of Brendan and the plane later.

Also, if any of you possibly saw this cub on Saturday morning flying overhead please let the troopers know which direction it was headed so that they can possibly narrow the search. It would be nice to know if he was headed for the flats East of Soldotna or if he was headed North to Beluga.

Thank you and God bless. ~907~

Sorry to hear about your friend, I pray and hope he turns up soon.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I pray for his safe return..

Just a reminder as to how important it is to file a flight plan at least with a friend.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Terrible news for sure....one thing worth mentioning too, to all the pilots out there is this pilot and a second pilot who crashed a C-1A yesterday were utilizing the old style 121.5 MHz beacons which makes it difficult for our rescue assets to locate missing. As Stid said, make sure you filea flight plan, but also consider changing your 121.5 to a 406 MHz. If something ever happens it will help rescuers get to your location much quicker, which could save your life.

I hope that he's found soon.

Just wondering if there has been any new updates? Still praying for him and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Yes, I do believe this is the missing plane & pilot.
    That is the twin engine cargo plane crash. The OP is looking for his friend in a single engine cub, which is still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just a reminder as to how important it is to file a flight plan at least with a friend.
    A locator beacon is a good idea also, the 406 MHz like Irish suggested. I will also be praying for his safe return.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    That is the twin engine cargo plane crash. The OP is looking for his friend in a single engine cub, which is still missing.
    You're right...post deleted.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I pray that he did not go down in Cook inlet. Most Air Taxis I have used lately have been using SPOTs, Alaska is HUGE and one can't have enough safety gear. When you consider the cost of learning to fly, owning a plane, the maintenance, etc... Quality safety gear is cheap.

I take a 406 MHz PLB with me on all trips.

I still hope that he will be found safe, but the odds with the temps this time of year does not bode well.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I am keeping my eyes peeled for him, as are many pilots. The human spirit is able to endure unthinkable odds...My thoughts and prayers go to him and his for a safe return.
    Pick A Spot

We've had civil air patrol units out of Merrill Field, JBER, Birchwood, Kenai and Seward searching everyday this week (weather dependant). They are following all leads and conducting grid searches over the most likely areas.

The Alaska Air National Guard has also been utilizing their HC-130 "King" to assist in the search. Unfortunately, we've still not found him.

The Rescue Coordination Center is working around the clock to try and find this young man.