Thread: Another 12 v cig lighter plug install

Default Another 12 v cig lighter plug install

I see there is another post on installing a cig plug. here is one more.

Saved a kit from previous years. This is a pretty easy install and can be done on most any machine without a battery. Machines without a battery run AC power and that is not good for accessories.
    Here is a link to the kit, it sells for about 50 bucks:
    http://snobunje.com/public/store.php...on=show_detail

So here is the kit:

Pretty simple. Battery, wires, and cig lighter plug. Next pic is where I am going to install the plug.......I have removed the primer for better access:

Here is the installed plug. You have to cut the hole for it. Choose a place where your drill, hole saw, etc. won't ruin something else on the machine:

Next pic is where I hooked in for power. This bravo has a resister for the hot grips. I spliced on to one of the wires. So the red wire in the photo is the power wire. I attached the ground wire to the screw for the volt regulator:

I had the primer laying in there so it is in the pic but has nothing to do with the installation.

Next you have to mount the battery. As you can see I mounted it on the belt guard. I have also done it this way on the RMKs I used to own in Nome. The kit comes with the clamp, screws, and wing nuts to mount:

That more or less completes the installation. You need to run and secure the kit wiring from the power supply to the battery and then up to the plug. There is no "right or wrong" way to do that. Just make sure you don't run the wire wires where they will get worn or caught in moving parts.

This last pic is the mounted GPS I am going to try and use on the machine. It is a Garmin 296. I'm worried it is too heavy for this and the bouncing around it will get will break the mount. But I will try.
    The mount is a RAM mount. The base is screwed down to the cowl and the rest is clamped.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Nice! I need to do this on my Tundra. I can't keep changing GPS batteries!

Don't you need to rectify the AC voltage to DC before chargin that battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Don't you need to rectify the AC voltage to DC before chargin that battery?
    Yes, It just not mention.

I have a Tundra that has a small battery mounted in the tub and the wires run up the dash to a cigarette lighter where the GPS plugs in. It is not tied into the machines electrical system at all. The battery is a Lithium battery from an emergency exit sign about the size of the one pictured above in the OP's pics. I charge it once a year before season and it lasts all year. Replace it with a new one if need be every other year or two.
    Very simple install and easy to maintain.
    BK

I would be afraid that the ram mount will break the plastic on the machine.

rm