Thread: Baiting Blackies 100 miles n. of Fairbanks

Default Baiting Blackies 100 miles n. of Fairbanks

Hello all,
    I'm doing my first baiting this year and i need a little time frame assistance. I'm sure i'm just getting impatient do to all the warm weather, but i need to know about what time to start putting out food? I've checked the stand and site over and there is no snow around the area to speak of. I'm thinking about starting my first bait trip around the 5-6th of May. I though this would be a good weekend to start it out due to me hearing people say they will start to come out of their dens around the 8-15th. Is this too early or should i do it earlier? I'm wanting to get a "jump" on it because i'm tired of being cooped up in the house after a Alaskan winter. Any help is much appericiated.

Normally your time frame would be right on, but due to the warm weather, I would put my bate out now. I'm sure there are blacks out of their dens already. Make sure you register with fish and game, and check to see that no one is baiting near you.

Good luck this year!

-Eric

Thanks labman,

I was thinking the same thing about the weather. It is close to 70 degrees here in Fairbanks today. i have read a lot of post that say weather has nothing to do with it. Now granted i'm new to this, but i don't see how it couldn't have anything to do with when they come out. i could be totally wrong though. i hope to have a post on here within a month or so with me and my buddie killing our 2.

before i get flamed i meant to put 60 degrees in fairbanks today, not 70

Default 100 miles north of Fairbanks

If you are planning on baiting on the Dalton about 100 miles north of Fairbanks, look before you leap. I baited there for years when I first got to Alaska in the mid-80's. Then, the G.I.'s found it and we were overrun. After a couple of years of being the only ones in that area, everywhere we turned there was another bait stand, 2 on the trail leading into one of our stands!!!!! We cut the trees down those stands were in, because those analholes knew we were already there by our signs and the trail. I even found out one of them belonged to a guy I took with his wife to take pictures of bears!!!!! What a jerk.

After a couple of years of fighting off the hoard, we just packed it in and left. Now, I understand there is a steady stream of baiters working that area.

Don't get me wrong, I wish every hunter good luck. But, the ones that are jerks about running over already established baits and sites I hope they fail.

And yes, I can complain about G.I.'s. I am a retired Air Force member that spent 8 years on Eielson.......... Ethical G.I.'s are the majority. The unethical is a minority, but a larger number than most think.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default It's still overrun.

That area is still getting pounded. I hunted it with a guy that had a bait there two years ago and the bears we're running the string of baits rather than staying on one. I run the road several times a year and still saw the many trucks last year and the buzz is still going around about the area still being popular.

Allot of them are real nice guy's but with so many in the area and the bears running a string of baits, it kind of limits you're chances of seeing the one you're after again if you don't nail him the first time you see them.

I used to bait futher north from there but in the last few years I've had to many other people hunting my baits, so I've moved on to a completely different area to avoid them.

Heres a little secret.....make your bait test better than everybody elses, they'll be there. Cookie crisps with maple syrup and Hersheys syrup or dog food and grease????

Seriously though there are a lot of baiters north of town and the stringing Woody speaks of can be a real pain in the azz, cuz with bears making there rounds you never know if or when he'll make it to yours. It helps if a guy gets a good distance away from the road, but if you see a trail that looks like its been there a while you can bet your not alone! I would say that you wont have bears actively hitting your bait till the second or third week of May but this year seems a little different to me , they might be hit earlier. Historically for me anyway that far north of Fairbanks we never killed a bear till the last week in May but then again letting bears eat and make trails that lead other bears to your bait is a smart play in the baiting game. Dont recommend shooting the first bear you see unless its a biggun!

The first bear you see is always a big one!

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by chevybowhunter View Post
    Thanks labman,

I was thinking the same thing about the weather. It is close to 70 degrees here in Fairbanks today. i have read a lot of post that say weather has nothing to do with it. Now granted i'm new to this, but i don't see how it couldn't have anything to do with when they come out. i could be totally wrong though. i hope to have a post on here within a month or so with me and my buddie killing our 2.
    I know that area well also.
    I've learned that the bears come in mid June REGARDLESS of weather. My .02 and I paid for alot of gojuice at 2.50-3.00 a gallon to find out.... Get the bait out in mid may and hunt the month of June.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    I know that area well also.
    I've learned that the bears come in mid June REGARDLESS of weather. My .02 and I paid for alot of gojuice at 2.50-3.00 a gallon to find out.... Get the bait out in mid may and hunt the month of June.
    I usually see bears before the middle of june, most of the time I have hits by june 1, but I do hunt on the Tanana which is further south than where you guys are talking about. I did manage to get some bait out earlier in the season, and I may be able to check it this weekend so we'll see what happens.

-Eric

Default The earliest

I've killed bears in the area mentioned was the 20th of May. There seems to be some coming out in that area at that time but I believe its bears denning in the area. Then there seems to be a low in numbers till the first week of June, around the 5th and then it really turns on as more bears come in.

BUT! and a big but at that is it is hard to tell with the bears running a string of baits. One thing is for sure, bears that are not that used to coming into a bait with someone on it will just wander a 1/4-1/2 mile down to another bait if they are uncomfortable with it. Chances are anymore that the next bait is as good as the last as far as tasty.

Some bears don't care and just flop right on the bait but the worst thing that can happen to a good area is when it becomes to popular and the bears have options. To many baits in an area sucks.

So far I'm not convinced that things will be early this year. Sure last year was late with the weather and all but I believe the weathers effect on the food sources really has more to do with it. I have been running the woods allot lately and I'm not seeing much "Greening", from the hills to the river bottoms theres not much green vegie's for them that they hit first out before coming to baits yet.

I usually see green grass around for a week or two before the bears are on it, then a week -2 weeks till they are on baits in numbers worth sitting it. Really this year is looking like normal so far, course the weather could change and hold it off and be late like last year. Some rain would help things in more ways than one, nice and cloudy out right now so I have my fingers crossed.

Father's Day is the magic date 100 north of Fairbanks.

Be on stand around that time frame and be ready--the bait should be getting hit if the spot is kosher.
    And keep the bait fresh and full, if its empty its a hit and miss proposition.
    Its too far (100 miles) to sit in those hordes of bugs for nights on end without consistent action. Wait for them.

I speak from experience...

Frank

Default Whats up chevybowman!

Is this chevybowman AKA (SPEEEERRRY). I too bait in that direction and we didn't get hit last year until the 27th of May. That bad boy is now sitting on my wall now by the way! I do have to agree with the above posts. You better decided quick when a bear is there because you may never see him again. I personally know of three other bait sights witin 2 miles of our stands and I'm sure there are more. I think the key is to out hunt the people around you. Meaning you may have to put in a little more stand time than the guy down the road from you. Once the bears start hittin the bait we try and sit the stand at least 2 days a week and around 12 hours per visit. Be prepared it gets real pricey makin that drive a couple times a week. I get back from my deployment next weekend and plan on putting bait out sometime the following week ( depending on when the wiff will let me back out of the house.) We most likely wont actually start hunting the stand until around the weekend of the 20th. Hope this helps and good luck, hopefully you bag a big one ( but not as big as mine ).
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?