Thread: Bear mauling victim found

Default Bear mauling victim found

http://www.adn.com/2012/10/15/266132...chichagof.html What a tragic story! Just hope his death was quick...

"Brown bears there are more closely related genetically to polar bears, than other brown bears"?...

peril straights are tough enough when the tide is running.... sounds like the bears not too accommodating either.

For me places like that with a boat a shore line and anchored in thirty foot of water or so is best. Prayers for his family.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sad to hear. Alaska's been tough on folks this year. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Ironic that this same area was mentioned in a recent deer hunting thread, and similar incident. Those bears may need thinning.

The boat that pulled in to check on the hunter was greeted by an aggressive sow and two cubs...If she was the bear that attacked him, those cubs are learning how to hunt from her, chances are they will become man killers also. Having a dog along, could have alerted him to the presence of bears close by, and he may have had the chance to defend himself.
    My prayers to his family and friends.

A good dog could have very much made the difference. I'm always bragging up my dogs, and I haven't been suprised in years by a bear. If you are thinking of getting a bear dog, I recommend the KBD (Karelian Bear Dog)....
    I know someone who has a few nice males left.. about 3.5 months old...

This poor guy could sure have used an alarm system.... I'm sure he was outdoors savy, but if he had ears anything like mine... he wouldn't have heard a bear until it was way to close... (dog)

reuben....
    Yeah... Alaska sure has had it's share of bear maulings this year...

Horrific. Just to clarify it seems it was a killing and eating or predatory bear activity. Not just those simple maulings that happen every week or two here in AK. Definitely hope the predatory family was dispatched.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Horrific. Just to clarify it seems it was a killing and eating or predatory bear activity. Not just those simple maulings that happen every week or two here in AK. Definitely hope the predatory family was dispatched.
    Correct...we aren't the only hunters out in the woods. As far as I know they haven't found the bear ( bears ) that were involved. There's a chance that the bear that initially attacked could be run off by a more aggressive bear.

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    A good dog could have very much made the difference. I'm always bragging up my dogs, and I haven't been suprised in years by a bear. If you are thinking of getting a bear dog, I recommend the KBD (Karelian Bear Dog)....
    I know someone who has a few nice males left.. about 3.5 months old...

This poor guy could sure have used an alarm system.... I'm sure he was outdoors savy, but if he had ears anything like mine... he wouldn't have heard a bear until it was way to close... (dog)

reuben....
    Yeah... Alaska sure has had it's share of bear maulings this year...
    Yea dogs are amazing. Three nights ago a black bear drug my moose head clean(euro mount)set off.. I was boiling it and it was almost completely clean.
    Dog barked in the night and I knew the bark was probably a bear.. but didn't investigate. Just found the chewed up head today.. he ruined the skull.. and only clipped a few points. head was a quarter mile from the house. I hung meat all Fall, he never touched it.. a rotten brain and some cartilage and he has to have it..lol

prayers to this guys family.. and I agree that sow and cubs should be destroyed.. sounds like there are too many bears there already, and they are showing signs of population stress.

those three bears the world can do without.

prayers to the family. Hopefully the gentleman didn't suffer.

They should suspend the guide requirement for a couple years. I would definitely come up and assist in thinning the brown bears out!

Yes, research has shown a link to polar bears and the brown bears on the ABC's. Do a google search. Jim