Thread: got any good references for an instructor & plane in Willow?

Default got any good references for an instructor & plane in Willow?

I'm shopping for a present for a young adult and want to buy him his very first flying lesson. He'd need whatever ground instruction is required, one airborne lesson, and a shiny new official logbook with exactly one entry in it.

Willow is the closest airport. Though I'd be willing to take him to Anchorage for this (its a big deal) I'd rather spare me that pain plus spare him the pain of Merrill Field.

A gift like this was given to me close to 40 years ago, and I only got a few more entries into my logbook, so sorry if 4 decades later it sounds like I know nothing on this subject....... well, because that's pretty much the case.

Any good referrals please post up here. Anyone wanting to pass on info on who to avoid please PM me instead of posting to stay within forum rules here.

Thanks in advance for anyone wanting to help get a new pilot going. He's always wanted this, and right now he has no idea it'll soon be his.

Chuck at alaska aerobatics flys a super decathalon, he does aerobatics and tail wheel and perhaps more. Getting a private ticket is starting to get REALLY hard these days, the only place I know that does it is land and sea and they seem to be teatering on going under. Some people will leave the state and do a 2-3 week intensive course in arizona where you are never grounded due to weather so you can fly and train 8 hrs a day and leave with your pilots licence for probably around 10k. That may soon be the only way to get a private pilots license for Alaskans, or you have a friend of the family who is a CFI.

3 weeks in arizona would make me not want to come back to alaska until I realized their economy is in the toilet and I need to get back to work lol.

If you wanted to drive a little further, you could come up to Talkeetna and take a lesson with Above Alaska Aviation. My son has about 12 hours with them now.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Try Chuck Moore in Willow.

I have heard only positive about Chuck Moore.

Chuck Moore seems like a great option in Willow. Depending on what you are in for...the following may be a great option or a horrible mess, apparently in Wasilla. I like Tri-Pacers and own one, so it looks good to me...but I know nothing about the instructor (or whether there is even a specific instructor in the deal) or the actual airplane...

If the airplane is as nice as it appears then it works out to a pretty good deal if the instruction is decent.

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...Tri_Pacer.html
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Walt taught me in 1983 and lives there. He is CFI/AI has several planes and is a ace pilot hands down. He retired this summer as a comm pilot.

I'll see if he wants to give his no out.

I wanted to get some time with him this late summer/fall but never made it up there.

RR

I have heard good things about Walt.

He has a facebook with his number so I'm sure he's okay with giving it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Legen...60652244048303

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    Walt taught me in 1983 and lives there. He is CFI/AI has several planes and is a ace pilot hands down. He retired this summer as a comm pilot.

I'll see if he wants to give his no out.

I wanted to get some time with him this late summer/fall but never made it up there.

RR

Chuck Moore is the way to go. Professional all the way!

Default new pilot

Thanks to those that responded; all responses were helpful.

My new pilot sat in the left seat today - on his birthday - (on the ground only) and got a little familiar with where things are:

Looks like we have a new pilot, judging from the smile on his face. His first flight will likely be within a week from now, weather-cooperating.

This forum has some of the finest people imaginable among its members. I've just got to say wow. And Thanks.