Thread: Adak Caribou

Default Adak Caribou

Was thinking about heading over to Adak for a little caribou hunting. Is the hunting any good around Adak between now and Christmas?

It would be fine. The tend to move around when ever and where ever they want to. Rent an atv and head to the south side of Shagak Bay or take off on foot from Finger Bay towards Lake Betty on the west side and hunt the valley between Betty and Constantine Harbor or Lake Bonnie Rose.

A buddy and I went to adak about a month ago. We got three small caribou each. We rented an atv and house. Next time we will rent an Argo. We didn't see any big bulls. But we saw a lot of caribou. Mount Reed by way of Husky pass is where we found the caribou on our first day. And also between heart lake and mount reed on the third day. Both locations or relatively close to town. The guy we rented from said that the caribou tend to be found nearer to town in November and December. It was an awesome hunt and I plan on doing it again in a year or two. Beware of the wind!!! We were there for five days and the calmest we saw was steady 35 mph with gusts to 50. On our first day we encountered winds gusting between 80 and 100 mph. NOTHING I read could have prepared me for that. My hunting buddy was jealous of my ski goggles and wind proof face mask.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by SamWiseGamgee View Post
    Beware of the wind!!! We were there for five days and the calmest we saw was steady 35 mph with gusts to 50. On our first day we encountered winds gusting between 80 and 100 mph. NOTHING I read could have prepared me for that. .
    as kids, we would get the day off school, and dad would come home on leave from the comsta... because the wind stopped and it was sunny out... of course there were many days we got off school early, because the weather was soooo bad... we wouldnt get home if we didnt.

spent many a christmas, waiting three extra days because dad couldnt get home too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A buddy and I went to adak about a month ago. We got three small caribou each. We rented an atv and house. Next time we will rent an Argo. We didn't see any big bulls. But we saw a lot of caribou. Mount Reed by way of Husky pass is where we found the caribou on our first day. And also between heart lake and mount reed on the third day. Both locations or relatively close to town. The guy we rented from said that the caribou tend to be found nearer to town in November and December. It was an awesome hunt and I plan on doing it again in a year or two. Beware of the wind!!! We were there for five days and the calmest we saw was steady 35 mph with gusts to 50. On our first day we encountered winds gusting between 80 and 100 mph. NOTHING I read could have prepared me for that. My hunting buddy was jealous of my ski goggles and wind proof face mask.
    Can you give me the name of the guy you rented the house from sounds like a great trip? Thinking about heading over there sometime soon.

It was an awesome hunt and I plan on doing it again in a year or two. Beware of the wind!!! We were there for five days and the calmest we saw was steady 35 mph with gusts to 50. On our first day we encountered winds gusting between 80 and 100 mph. NOTHING I read could have prepared me for that. My hunting buddy was jealous of my ski goggles and wind proof face mask.
    Too bad no one said or reported anything as it can be nasty in southwest alaska, kodiak, and the Aleutian chain ... except of course for that little spot towards the end of the chain that is named Adak aka "Birthplace of the winds" http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabird/563342421/

I read about the wind and understood it to be a force to be reckoned with but it still caught be by surprise. The guy we rented from is Jack Stewart. He is a good guy and will treat you right.
    907-592-3165Jackstewart@adaktu.net

Some time ago we posted a whole page on Adak Caribou Hunting. Feel free to look it over and offer any suggestions for changes via PM.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

We rented a place and a truck from Cynthia @ Little Micheal Lodges 572-9864, when we went out hunting in Adak, she is a very nice lady.

We are heading out in December. We are still trying to figure out the best method for shipping the meat back to Anchorage. We are thinking sealed plastic bags of meat in plastic totes, 50lbs each. I have read through numerous posts and can't find anybody talking about shipping methods. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    We are heading out in December. We are still trying to figure out the best method for shipping the meat back to Anchorage. We are thinking sealed plastic bags of meat in plastic totes, 50lbs each. I have read through numerous posts and can't find anybody talking about shipping methods. Any suggestions?
    There are some tips on this on out Adak Caribou Hunting page. Your idea will work just fine. You should also consider shipping it back from Adak as cargo. Call Alaska Airlines air cargo for prices and details.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    We put our meat in heavy plastic bags then in fish boxes. We found what worked for us was fill them up to very close to 100# check them in as baggage then pay the extra charge of $50. We bought home about 450 # of meat at a cost of $200.

Default adak caribou

We used Rubbermaid totes. They are lightweight and cheap. They made it to adak fine. But the flight out broke one of the totes and several of the lids. We were lucky and didn't lose any meat as we had put the meat in bags first. Next time I'll be using action packer totes. In adak the airline people let us take on totes up to 60lbs without an overweight charge.