Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nallo Tents

Default Nallo Tents

Any of you guys have experience with these tents? I am looking for a 2 person tent for sheep hunts! Light weight but a good overall tent for the mountains!! What suggestions o you guys have?

I love mine.Get the three man it's worth it's wieght for extra space.Did fine for it's first season exept the time we set up in the chugiach at the top in early September...Then the hurricane winds set in and broke two poles.We were then stuck in a 3 man bivey for 15 hours holding down the tent for dear life wrapped like a burrito trying not to get blown off the 15 foot cliff below us while hopeing not to get nailed bye a piece of flying shale every hour or so.That really sucked,stupid rookie sheep hunters.Took a day in a half to walk out and replace a tent.

Default Nallo Tents

I have the 4 GT and use it as a base camp that can be drug out as a backup if I decide my Tipi isn't enough. The Nallo is a well built tent and bullet proof set into the wind. Swirling wind and broadside hits can show its weaknesses though!! I know of a couple different people that ended up spending the night cuddled up with their partner wearing their tents as a soaking wet poncho after the poles were destroyed.

One thing to remember, the pole sleeves are designed to take two poles if you wanted to double up.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have the 4 GT and use it as a base camp that can be drug out as a backup if I decide my Tipi isn't enough. The Nallo is a well built tent and bullet proof set into the wind. Swirling wind and broadside hits can show its weaknesses though!! I know of a couple different people that ended up spending the night cuddled up with their partner wearing their tents as a soaking wet poncho after the poles were destroyed.
    Hey now I've only been on one sheep hunt that we had to get close,not cuddle and this wasn't it dang it!The wind did pick me up and throw me on Angelo a few times but no cuddling just a friendly Fu lol.There was no setting into the wind on that one.Should of listened to warnings from you and others about what was comeing in...rookie sheep hunters!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I know of a couple different people that ended up spending the night cuddled up with their partner wearing their tents as a soaking wet poncho after the poles were destroyed.
    do you know if they had the the tent guy lines staked . I have heard about more then one pole failure and even seen a tent rolling down a hill side and always wonder if they used all the tie downs.. When I stake my tent it look like a spider web and in sheep country I tie the guy lines to big rocks....works great for bears too,if they get too close to the tent they simply tie themselves up...

Snyd that is a great point bout doubling up on the poles....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    do you know if they had the the tent guy lines staked . I have heard about mort then one pole failure and even seen a tent rolling down a hill side and always wonder if they used all the tie downs.. When I stake my tent it look like a spider web and in sheep country I tie the guy lines to big rocks....works great for bears too,if they get too close to the tent they simply tie themselves up...

Snyd that is a great point bout boubling up on the poles....
    Me and my hunt partner had everything staked possible.Wish we had the double poles!Neat to know,think I'm gonna try to get doubles for this falls trip to kodiak.Would be extra insurance!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Me and my hunt partner had everything staked possible.Wish we had the double poles!Neat to know,think I'm gonna try to get doubles for this falls trip to kodiak.Would be extra insurance!
    Ya know Kotton I have never had it happen to me but sure thought it was going to a time or two and have some bent poles, I am sure it was a longgggg night...thanks for the info...
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    ....Get the three man it's worth it's weight for extra space......
    Fully agree with this statement. I'm sure the Nallo 2 is doable, but the 3 is WAY better for less than 1/2 lb difference.

I like the Nallo for a sheep tent. I really like the ability to set it up and take it down with the inner tent attached to the fly. It's easy to get used to that perk.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Fully agree with this statement. I'm sure the Nallo 2 is doable, but the 3 is WAY better for less than 1/2 lb difference.

I like the Nallo for a sheep tent. I really like the ability to set it up and take it down with the inner tent attached to the fly. It's easy to get used to that perk.

Yk
    YK or anyone with one for that matter, anything you dont like about your tent.. I am thinking about getting one for next year,,I really hate the closeness factor of my marmot and think its time to retire it.
    Last edited by Bear; 10-15-2012 at 22:42. Reason: content

Default Nallo Tents

I have the namaj and love it. I would get the gt version of any of the tents. Sure Is nice to put all your stuff in the tent with you in the rain. Got the nammaj rather that the nallo because I really liked he door. Here is a pic from this years sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    YK or anyone with one for that matter, anything you dont like about your tent.. I am thinking about getting one for next year,,I really hate the closeness factor of my marmot and think its time to retire it.
    I prefer a side opening tent for convenience getting in and out and a dome type tent for wind resistance... but no tent is perfect, and I like the Nallo 3 a lot. One strong advantage to the Nallo 3 vs 2 IMO is that you can fit two barneys frame packs in the standard (non-GT) vestibule and still crawl between them. Set up is super quick with the attached inner.

For someone worried about the strength of a tunnel tent, the Nammaj is supposed to built with larger diameter poles and a even thicker fabric. I haven't tried that model yet.

Yk

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Nallo3 GT is great, roomy and only a few ounces more that the 3...those winds were brutal and my son destroyed his poles on a REI brand 2 man...A second set of poles are now included on mine were about 120 bucks for the aluminum ones...

I have the 2 man nallo and love it. Weither you get the 2 man or the 3 definetly get the GT the extra room is well worth it. A friend of mine that guides has the 3 man GT and he just bought the 2 man free standing and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    I use a Nallo 2 without the inner tent. Mostly I use the footprint or floorless and have zero issues. Great shelters in my experience.
    What kind of weight are you looking at with the Nallo 2 without the inner tent? I've been thinking that would be a sweet floorless setup.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunter7 View Post
    I have the 2 man nallo and love it. Weither you get the 2 man or the 3 definetly get the GT the extra room is well worth it. A friend of mine that guides has the 3 man GT and he just bought the 2 man free standing and loves it.
    Which one? Jannu, Staika, Allak, Tarra? Just curious.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    I use a Nallo 2 without the inner tent. Mostly I use the footprint or floorless and have zero issues. Great shelters in my experience.
    That's not a bad idea, and I've considered it. Besides cutting weight, it would certainly give two guys more a little more elbow room inside of a Nallo 2. They stake pretty tight to the ground, so I imagine they would still keep out weather just fine.

Yk

I guess that I am just too claustrophobic, my Nallo GT3 is about as small as I could go with two hunters that don't sleep naked together (I sometimes hunt with my wife).

I have wondered how it would be without the inner tent to save weight and take it on a bivy hunt....sounds workable.

Thanks guys for the info I cant seem to find anything bad about the tent how many of you guys have had them a long time and put them through some weather conditions and are totally satisfied......

I have had a nammaj 2 GT since 2004 or 2005. I haven't had any major issues to date, no problems with poles breaking. A couple zipper tracks are starting to get sticky from to much sand & grit & not good cleaning over the years, & I have a tear in the small triange mesh window, & door mesh screen from when the dog was shut in on the haul road one yr & tried to scratch out, but other wise no complaints.
    Used it on Kodiak goat & deer hunts, haul road bou, wrangell mts sheep, swd & homer beaches & bays, etc... In the big storms just make sure all lines are guyed out, & stake loops used. I have been hit in the face with the fabric / walls while trying to sleep but it always has straightend right back up. I have a buddy use it while climbing on Marcus Baker, & somewhere else, & they said that is where it shines the most when you are weatherd in & can build small snow walls on the outside & just sit inside & play cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast