Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW to HARVEST a Alaska BLACK BEAR in the Fall.

Default HOW to HARVEST a Alaska BLACK BEAR in the Fall.

This will be short and to the point. The rifle does NOT matter, the Knife does NOT matter, you can use a cheap pocket knife and a ratty old military surplus clunker that shoots 7" groups at 100 yards, you can still tip over a Black Bear at 300 yards with a 20" kill zone. The trick is seeing a lot of relatively open country, with the best binoculars you can afford or borrow or steal. It is best to start glassing from a road that has elevation, like Seward Hwy. through Turnagain or Summit Pass. RESULTS are directly related to the time spent with your eyeballs glued to the binoculars. If you don't see a bear glass the area again and again as they are often walking/feeding through a slight depression.

Don't waste time on the beach or in the woods, it is all about open hillside in the fall. Glass and glass and glass some more. After you spot the bear now ask, "can I get to the bear"??? You can't cross a raging river, or fight through a mile of Alders. If the bear seems un-get'able, try a predator call, but don't over do it. And Keep looking for other bears. Make sure that there are no cubs around and it is a legal bear.

Right now is as perfect as it gets in South Central for bear hunting, the bears are feeding, there is not much snow, but enough to make them visible. (Make sure it is a Black Bear, if you get to excited you don't want to harvest a very dark Brown Bear). If you like to hike try Summit Cr. Mills Cr. Devils pass any high open country. If you are NOT seeing bears, it is because you are NOT glassing enough, it is that simple. I have only seen one bear digging, they are all just feeding.

A good spotting scope can save you time and anguish by allowing you to judge the bears size and look for cubs. If the bear is moving at a solid pace like it is late for a meeting, find another bear, or figure out how to get well in front of where the bear is going, you will NOT catch a bear that is walking away, even if it is not spooked.

My best advise is sell your $1,800.00 rifle and scope and buy a $299.00 rifle and spend the other $1,500.00 on good binoculars.

Good hunting. (That is everything I know from 43 years of studying bears) O'yes....... be warned Black Bears look much larger alive than dead, so expect to be slightly disappointed when you walk up to the harvested bear. That is just a trick of the light, dark animals look larger alive, and white animals look smaller alive than when approached.

I forgot to say spend a lot of time glassing, and don't give up hope.

i would only add to glass a lot.

LMAO..that is funny..never met him..but hope to make it to Hope someday and get some of these black bears, shake his hand. Seems like a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Someone mixed his meds today...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

A black bear drug my moose horns off two nights ago, and I've decided he has to go. I hung my meat for 7 days and he didn't touch it(out in the open). a Euro mount moose head.. almost completely boiled down to bone and he has to have it. Saw his tracks, and the tell tale scratches on the roof of my beach truck. I'll find the horns no doubt,,, but the euro mount is toast.

This bear rolls pretty much nocturnal only... and loves the rotten stuff. He dug into my compost this Summer.

Made the mistake of trying to get at one through "a mile of alder" last weekend, we got through it but by the time we did it was 3PM and the snow made visibility about 20'...

Maybe next weekend, weather looks like it should be good.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

WEll HopeAk... i may have to come have coffee with ya one day... you forgot to mention how much time a guy should spend glassing an area...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

How 'bout a Mosin, czeck ammo, my old Hickory pareing knife and Stieners predator bino's ?

I've been passsing Black Bears up for years now, since the Sons and nephews grew up and moved on.....as the 5 daughters and wife wont eat Black Bears, like Jews to pork, what I need is a crew to eat the meats
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

AGL4now-I am so confused by your post. Let me get this straight-I need a .50 BMG and some $10 Tasco's?? LMAO and sooo true!!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    as the 5 daughters and wife wont eat Black Bears, like Jews to pork,
    Really....that's interesting. Is that the main reason? Is it because of the possibility of Trichinosis, or do many natives have some type of religious belief for not eating black bear meat? I'm just curious as I've never heard that before. I saw grizz steaks in your frying pan once, so I'm just wondering why they differentiate between the two?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Most women here refrain from Bear meat in general, its cultural, but some do munch down anyway.

My wife ate her first willing bite of Bear when she caught her own Brown Bear, permissable I guess, but mostly it gos to fellows my age and older, its an aquired tatse, but BLack Bear , another womanly 'no thanx' is a Better Meat than Caribou!! She ate one and only one steak and said it wasnt for her, but she was happy to give away her First Brown Bear anyway, another cultural thing.

August caught, blueberry fed mountainside Black Bears rocks and Im quite fond of it, but to plug a whole Black Bear in my freezer is not fair, as the freezer, its small, cant dry it either, so I just eat at other folks houses or get some when a friend scores.

Do not, however, expect my wife to ever eat Bearmeat again.....Roustabout brought some most excellent Black Bear sausage, which we cooked up and made a most excellent feed from, well, the wife nearly killed him in 'self defence' , as she was declareing that he poisoned her ~~LOL!!~~
    Seriously, its ingrained, much like others reaction to Pork,and my wife never mentioned Trecinosis.......but she surly loved Erics Fat Moose meats What stew!!....... Maybe Ill hunt Moose in the same fashon......

Most women here refrain from Bear meat in general, its cultural, but some do munch down anyway.

My wife ate her first willing bite of Bear when she caught her own Brown Bear, permissable I guess, but mostly it gos to fellows my age and older, its an aquired tatse, but BLack Bear , another womanly 'no thanx' is a Better Meat than Caribou!! She ate one and only one steak and said it wasnt for her, but she was happy to give away her First Brown Bear anyway, another cultural thing.

August caught, blueberry fed mountainside Black Bears rocks and Im quite fond of it, but to plug a whole Black Bear in my freezer is not fair, as the freezer, its small, cant dry it either, so I just eat at other folks houses or get some when a friend scores.

Do not, however, expect my wife to ever eat Bearmeat again.....Roustabout brought some most excellent Black Bear sausage, which we cooked up and made a most excellent feed from, well, the wife nearly killed him in 'self defence' , as she was declareing that he poisoned her ~~LOL!!~~
    Seriously, its ingrained, much like others reaction to Pork,and my wife never mentioned Trecinosis.......but she surly loved Erics Fat Moose meats What stew!!....... Maybe Ill hunt Moose in the same fashon......
    Yes, it's hard to beat a fat berry fed blackie. Sorry you can't have one taking up space in your freezer. But you know what they say......."If momma ain't happy...".....lol

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

it is quite prevalent around here also... i would offer meats to mnay of my neighbors, some took it, some wont... one got particularly upset with me for offering a second time, to her husband, and honestly i had NO IDEA why, so a few days later, i took her a moose roast and politely asked... WHY...

a... "I'm native, and we are not allowed to even touch bear meat once we come into women hood"... was my only explanation, and the subject was promptly dropped... Her husband would on occasion gratefully accept some snacks made with our bears, but always... said.. DON'T TELL THE WIFE.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Really....that's interesting. Is that the main reason? Is it because of the possibility of Trichinosis, or do many natives have some type of religious belief for not eating black bear meat? I'm just curious as I've never heard that before. I saw grizz steaks in your frying pan once, so I'm just wondering why they differentiate between the two?
    My grandfather, who was very traditional Tlingit told me, "I don't hunt bears, and they don't hunt me". Its not religous, or trichinosis, but culture. At least where I come from.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I once has a self proclaimed animal rights activist call the State of Alaska Racist.

Her reasoning???

Cause the State allows people to hunt the black bear and the brown bear, but not the white polar bear, and that is racist.

I kid you not and swear that is what she said (she was in her 40's and was ex-army, she was also from Panama )
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Yupiks seem to have no problem with black bear meat. My wife loves berry fed black bear roast with au jus. I don't know any Yupiks, however, who eat brown/grizzly bear, which they call carayak, meaning monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I once has a self proclaimed animal rights activist call the State of Alaska Racist.

Her reasoning???

Cause the State allows people to hunt the black bear and the brown bear, but not the white polar bear, and that is racist.

I kid you not and swear that is what she said (she was in her 40's and was ex-army, she was also from Panama )

That's way too funny.....and yet still somewhat believable.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    My grandfather, who was very traditional Tlingit told me, "I don't hunt bears, and they don't hunt me".
    Now that doesn't surprise me in the least and is something I can understand, given the beliefs of many native Americans. I can see how that way of thinking could be very....well.......logical.

"I don't hunt bears, and they don't hunt me".
    I wonder if that is what the poor guy from Sitka was thinking as he waited for help on the beach.

My second son was walking up a hill to a house in an old town we salmon fished by, to "see the Bears across the river" as he was called up from our fishing spot on the river below the house. Some elders were makeing a cookout annd hasd spied a Mama and cub across the river and wanted the wife and kids, who were below the hill that there was a Bear, and Jon walked up .........

Being 5 , he took tothe willows along side the trail to the house, avoiding the churned up Honda trail that was now flowing as a creek, he headed up hill till the front of the house was in view and walked t'ward the yards small opening, he bumped into what he thought was an odd Dog. It sniffed his chest and then his crotch till it was swiped aside and a MamBrownBear stareted sniffing his belly/crotch......meatwhile, Mike, who had called him up had the Bears about 10 feet from his front door got up from his dinner table and picked up his .22, his only gun, hung around the door and shot the mamma in the ass as the cub was walking in the door.
    The Mamma jumped over the boy and dissapeared in the dense willows, the baby almost knocked him over, running by and Mike had a 5 year old kid in his sights, finger on the trigger, shell inthe chamber ....

Mike told us at first, he was scared, especially of Jon, as he had just seen in a flsh, that a Bear turn into a little boy...... but he called him over and saw that besides steaming snot on the boys belly , he was fine, and told to get the hell home and send him up a real gun, PLEASE!

Jon desrcibed the story with wonder and awe, not knowing he was in any danger at all, just too big to gulp, and too small to be a threat......That same Mamma Bear was around us and our camps for more than 12 years with only that as an "incident".

Everyone that heard that story around here says/said, "So Jon wont Hunt Brown Bears now" kinda matter of factly....

The next day, Mike had all the willows cut down for a 40 yard foot radious around his house ~~LOL!!~~

My second son was walking up a hill to a house in an old town we salmon fished by, to "see the Bears across the river" as he was called up from our fishing spot on the river below the house. Some elders were makeing a cookout annd hasd spied a Mama and cub across the river and wanted the wife and kids, who were below the hill that there was a Bear, and Jon walked up .........

Being 5 , he took tothe willows along side the trail to the house, avoiding the churned up Honda trail that was now flowing as a creek, he headed up hill till the front of the house was in view and walked t'ward the yards small opening, he bumped into what he thought was an odd Dog. It sniffed his chest and then his crotch till it was swiped aside and a MamBrownBear stareted sniffing his belly/crotch......meatwhile, Mike, who had called him up had the Bears about 10 feet from his front door got up from his dinner table and picked up his .22, his only gun, hung around the door and shot the mamma in the ass as the cub was walking in the door.
    The Mamma jumped over the boy and dissapeared in the dense willows, the baby almost knocked him over, running by and Mike had a 5 year old kid in his sights, finger on the trigger, shell inthe chamber ....

Mike told us at first, he was scared, especially of Jon, as he had just seen in a flsh, that a Bear turn into a little boy...... but he called him over and saw that besides steaming snot on the boys belly , he was fine, and told to get the hell home and send him up a real gun, PLEASE!

Jon desrcibed the story with wonder and awe, not knowing he was in any danger at all, just too big to gulp, and too small to be a threat......That same Mamma Bear was around us and our camps for more than 12 years with only that as an "incident".

Everyone that heard that story around here says/said, "So Jon wont Hunt Brown Bears now" kinda matter of factly....

The next day, Mike had all the willows cut down for a 40 yard foot radious around his house ~~LOL!!~~
    Great story...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast