Thread: Any sailors here?

Default Any sailors here?

Was wondering if any of you guys has sailboat experience. If so what did you think about it? Are they worth considering for fishing out of ? Short trips out of k-bay?

I grew up sailing, I would have a sailboat over a powerboat any day if it were not for the great distances to cover and short amount of time to do it in. If you are just staying in K-Bay than I would think a sailboat would be great, it can handle bigger seas and larger variations of weather-typically when comparing same size vessels, it's quiet, it's less costly to operate, and generally you get more usable space than on a power boat and if your motor dies you can still sail. Fishing is not that different really; you can even sail at trolling speeds, heck people did it for years up in Bristol Bay.

I have to admit not having to worry about an expensive motor is a major attraction for me. Or the expensive gas! A powerboat that I would like to get would run me a few hundred bucks in gas just for the weekend.

Also after kayaking all summer I like the experience of quiet boating and fishing

They seem like they would be a lot of work though to sail and might be distracting from fishing. Also I roll solo alot and help with it won't be there.

I would be looking for something like a catalina 22 from what I have been researching on the net.

What's the learning curve on one? Could I read and watch videos all winter long and be prepared for a light wind day and not roll it?

Sorry duplicate

I watch this forum...... and my boat is a sailboat.

You must realize, sailboats are much slower. But to me, as soon as you slip loose your lines, you are on the water and in heaven. So to me, speed isn't a factor. I just don't get the "gotta go 40 miles to fish" mentality. If you are on the water to break records with numbers and size of fish.... then get get a speed boat. If you are on the water to enjoy being at sea, get a sailboat. That's my opinion. By the way, I fish from my sailboat, or the dingy.

I'd get something bigger than a Catalina 22. But you can have a lot of fun with even that size. Living space on that size will be about the same as a small pickup truck camper. I you work your way up to a 27-32 foot sailboat, it's more like a small motor home. 40 foot sailboat is like a large motor home. Beam is as important as length. There are advantages and disadvantages to a beamy boat. Not all sailboats have the same amount of stability.

Don't be afraid to start somewhere. If you started with a Catalina 22 you are not likely to swamp it. You would have to work at it or be very unlucky to knock it over. Sailboats tend to "round up" when healing too much..... between that and the sails spilling most of the wind when it starts to heel a lot, you will find that it's not all that easy to get into trouble. Take some classes if possible, or go with someone with more experience or dig into what you can lear here on the net (lot's of good instructional videos on youtube).

Sounds like you want to go play in the ocean but just to let you know there is a sailing club on big lake that holds classes every spring. They also have many boats that you can use. Really the cheapest and easiest way to get started. Sailing is a blast and not that hard to understand and one can read up for sure and get a understanding of how it works, but nothing like real time at the helm. Don't think that sailing is free. Even if you don't burn as much fuel you still have to take very good care of the sails as they can get costly if they are damaged. Also you need to remember up here some of our tides are so strong and you need to travel around them. I wish their was enough people on this forum to want a sailboat forum of it's own.

Was living near SF the last 8 years and got into sailing. If you have the time ("snailboat") I enjoy sailing much more than power boating. Also, spent a lot of time on a Catalina 22 and 36, if you learn how to sail on a 22 then the larger boats only get more forgiving. Good luck.

P.S. I don't know if you make it up north but I brought my catamaran up with me, it sails a bit different but the concept is the same if you want to try it some time.

Matt,
    I have looked at the sailing aspect for boating in AK, and there are two negatives for me, and its not the speed or lack thereof (my ideal boat would be a trawler). Most sailboats are not set up well for fishing and most sailboats in the size you are looking at means you will be out in the weather most of the time. This is not Florida where the water is warm, there are simply many times here when its just lousy weather and you could still be comfortable in a powerboat.

And it depends on your use, if you have the time sailing would be great, or you live near the water and can pick the days. If like many of us with limited time to do things a sailboat could become a bit of chore, unless you leave it in the water you will have to step the mast and rig each and every time you take it in & out of the drink. Not a big deal....but its another thing to do.

Now, I have dome some sailing and its a very pleasant way to travel, and rather satisfying to use nature to get somewhere, if it was warm water and I had the time it would be my first choice. There are some pretty cool boats out there, Macgregor makes a 26 footer that is rather interesting, may be considered a bit of a compromise but still it could do a lot, one very posistive aspect of most sailboats is they are designed to handle seas better than most comparble sized powerboats
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

We recently acquired a NorSea 27 sailboat. She belonged to my folks down south (I grew up with this boat in the family like another family member!) and came to live with us when they could no longer sail her. She's not the optimum SE Alaska "do everything" boat, but she's roomy, dry, extremely seaworthy, and can cruise at 6 knots on a 1/2 gal of diesel/hour. Wind power is _sometimes_ an option. We're going to give her a go for fishing and hunting - if we decide we need to go faster, we'll reconsider later. With a sailboat, having the attitude that getting there is part of the adventure is a big help. Learning to sail a dinghy or other small sailboat on inland waters is great training for the bigger boats. The little boats are so responsive to your actions that you quickly learn what works and doesn't work and why. Spend a summer dinghy sailing and a week at sailing school on a bigger boat and you'd be well on your way to being a better sailor than a lot of folks at the tiller.

Friend of mine had a sailboat moored in Valdez. He got it because he wanted to fish in the ocean but couldn't afford a powerboat. He never touched the sails in all the time he owned it. Every year I see "blowboats" fishing right along with the fleet out at Pony cove in Seward, they look impressive! I have limited time and need at least a 20knot minimum for any boat I own, don't have the time for a trawler or sailboat. Seward, would be perfect for sailboat use! They have some serious sailboat rallys/events/races, the fish come right into the bay, and Pony cove is a easy trip when the fish are out there. You could practice inside Caines Head until you want to venture to Pony cove and fish all the time.

I don't know about taking one out of K-Bay, you certainly can stay off the rocks better there I would think.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah I'll admit watching the videos of people cruising around warm water with the best girl in her swimsuit and a cocktail looks awesome!

But I'm a realist. And this is Alaska. More often than not I can picture myself huddled up against the rudder, rain pouring down on me, doing 5 knots with ten miles to go, best girl huddled up in the cabin with helly Hansens on!

I think I would enjoy sailing. If I had the time and our weather wasn't so crappy.

Mmmhh back to figuring out how to get a expensive boat.

Maybe I'll just get the sail kit for my hobie

Another issue with sail boats is you have to get a slip. If money is a concern, a slip might be out of question.
    Good luck

what if the wind isn't cooperating??

We fire up the "iron wind" - aka the Yanmar.