Thread: 416 Taylor project coming together

Default 416 Taylor project coming together

IMG_0032.jpgIMG_0038.jpg

Here we have a Stevens 200 action that I began by ditching the stock, barrel and trigger. Replaced the latter with a Boyds laminate stock and a Timney trigger. The triggers on those Stevens 200's feels like shifting from park to drive. Garbage.
    Barrel is a 22" ER Shaw barrel, heavy mag countour finished chambered in 416 Taylor, 1-15" twist.
    Wild west headspaced it and did their best to make me feel inadequate for owning a Savage. They also glass bedded it for free because the laminate stock has a giant cutout/void under the barrel and only 2 tiny bedding areas for the barrel to actually rest on.
    The scope is a Leupold 4x fixed that belonged to my late father in law. It should be perfect for the 250 yard max range that a gun like this should have.

I'll be using 350 grain Speer soft points and 76 grains of RL-15. I'll give a range report when I get a chance to take it for a test drive. We'll see if that low priced barrel was worth the wait.

By the way, if anyone wants the unfired Savage 110 30-06 barrel, shoot me a PM.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

An idea of the size of the cartridge. It's the 458 Winchester with the top 1/2 inch necked down to .416.

taylor cartridge.jpg
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default 416 Taylor project coming together

Very cool, great thumper
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author