Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Nu-way propane stove question

  1. #1
    Member AKMarmot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    783

    Default Nu-way propane stove question

    Anybody have experience with the nu-way stoves in a A.O. 10x10. I am thinking about the application specifically for a Kodiak hunt in early Nov.
    Will it actualy produce dry heat to help take the dampness out of the air & possibly dry clothing in the tent?
    Also would you feel confident that on 20lb propane cylinder would last a week? I understand it all depends on temp, & how much you run it but thinking a few hrs in the evening, warm up in the morning, & the possible two days that your are weatherd in that it will run a little longer.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    i have the big one.. the 4000... its a great stove in wet areas... i put a stove jack into the vestibule of the 8 man cabelias guide tent, and keeps things dry and tent warm... my ONLY issue with the 4000 ... is you burn a LOT of propane... i dont think a guy could pack enough for a long hunt in BAD weather...

    i also use it in the winter in my camper at -30/-40 it heats it well but will burn a 20lb bottle in 16 hours..


    i took it for a week on the hual road fly in the kids and i did... warm days cold nights, two 20lbs ( fiberglass tanks) JUST lasted the duration.

    but to answer your questions.. nice dry heat, even like a wood stove, but you dont have to put a log in the fire. I was going to take it to the wall tent moose camp this year but scored on a small oil drip and used it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Anybody have experience with the nu-way stoves in a A.O. 10x10. I am thinking about the application specifically for a Kodiak hunt in early Nov.
    Will it actualy produce dry heat to help take the dampness out of the air & possibly dry clothing in the tent?
    Also would you feel confident that on 20lb propane cylinder would last a week? I understand it all depends on temp, & how much you run it but thinking a few hrs in the evening, warm up in the morning, & the possible two days that your are weatherd in that it will run a little longer.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    I have a AO10 and the single burner Nu-Way stove,, that setup is just like sleeping at home. Warm and dry, don't even sleep in my bag. clothes hung near the stove and pipe dry over night. I run mine all night on low and 20lbs will last me 7 to 10 days. Use mine a lot, I also added a dampener in pipe to capture more heat from the pipe.

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I have the big one also for my AO 10X10. It's awesome. Nothing like being able to get the tent warm fast when you want to get out of the sleeping bag yet keep it cool enough to sleep in. I had Tent and Tarp put a grommet in the back wall of mine to pass the hose from outside in. I also bought a flexible stove pipe that goes to 90 degrees to put it closer to the tent to give me more room inside. I have hardly ever needed to use the second burner on mine.

    Stid...how far up are you putting the damper. That seems to be the only complaint I have...there sure is a lot of heat going out the pipe!! What size pipe is it in?

  5. #5
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    I considered the Nu-Way, BUT I've also compared it to the trekker diesel heater. No heavy propane steelys, and far less consumption of fuel due to the btu's that diesel puts out. Hoping she'll be a dandy one....whenever I can afford one. .12 gallon per hour on high pushing 12,000 BTU's aint no joke!

    http://itrheat.com/products/pioneer-...aters/trekker/

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
    I have the big one also for my AO 10X10. It's awesome. Nothing like being able to get the tent warm fast when you want to get out of the sleeping bag yet keep it cool enough to sleep in. I had Tent and Tarp put a grommet in the back wall of mine to pass the hose from outside in. I also bought a flexible stove pipe that goes to 90 degrees to put it closer to the tent to give me more room inside. I have hardly ever needed to use the second burner on mine.

    Stid...how far up are you putting the damper. That seems to be the only complaint I have...there sure is a lot of heat going out the pipe!! What size pipe is it in?
    i put my damper up in the top of the second section...( about 30" above the stove) as thats as high as i can in my tent.. i would run it as high as you could to get the heat off the pipe too.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I considered the Nu-Way, BUT I've also compared it to the trekker diesel heater. No heavy propane steelys, and far less consumption of fuel due to the btu's that diesel puts out. Hoping she'll be a dandy one....whenever I can afford one. .12 gallon per hour on high pushing 12,000 BTU's aint no joke!

    http://itrheat.com/products/pioneer-...aters/trekker/
    I tried a small drip stove first.

    For one even on the lowest setting it was way too hot in the tent. It had a tendency to try to go out and fill the tent with thick black soot when trying to run it on a low setting.

    The black soot got on everything.

    The Tent smelled of fuel all the time.

    Took some time to light and was not easy to quickly turn on and off.

    The Nu-Way, lights quick, I roll over and light it with the lighter I keep near, easy to tun on and off it it gets to hot.

    Unlike the drip stove the Nu-Way can be turned off and relit, The oil stove must cool before relighting. YMMV

    I use LITE propane tanks, they are very light weight with no sharp edges and you can see how much fuel you are using and have left. I bought mine at the sports show, but I think Alaska raft and Kayak sells them.


    Like Vince I put the dampener as high as I could. In the photo is is about 6 inches down from the color change on the stack.

    Steve

    http://www.litecylinder.com/
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    i use the same tank... the ONLY thing really tickes me off about these tanks.. is that the normal bulk adapters for colman products dont fit it... the Y wont fit between the handles with out trimming them... and if you do, no one will fill it, the stands are a real pita to use and its a constant fight with the narrow space around the valve outlet... single lines, single appliance only
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,602

    Default

    The little nu-way wood stove is very nice and uses free fuel. Their stove pipe kit is a fare value for what you get. I still have one of their fuel oil stoves thats probably company one old
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  10. #10
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    I did see those propane tanks at the show too. Stid, what oil stove were you using?

    My interest is for winter use only, as I won't be hunting in an area without an abundant supply of wood, and the high setting will probably be the only setting I'll use.

  11. #11
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I did see those propane tanks at the show too. Stid, what oil stove were you using?

    My interest is for winter use only, as I won't be hunting in an area without an abundant supply of wood, and the high setting will probably be the only setting I'll use.
    One just like this.

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  12. #12
    Member Grayling Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Just ordered a 3500 model from their new website. Shipping was only $20 flat rate. The entire package with stove pipe and hose/regulator was under $300 shipped.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have a AO10 and the single burner Nu-Way stove,, that setup is just like sleeping at home. Warm and dry, don't even sleep in my bag. clothes hung near the stove and pipe dry over night. I run mine all night on low and 20lbs will last me 7 to 10 days. Use mine a lot, I also added a dampener in pipe to capture more heat from the pipe.


    So are you running the 2000, or the 3000.....and do you still like it. I am very interested in one of them, just want to know what size to buy. I am going to be heating an AO-10 as well. Thanks. Ron

  14. #14
    Member Grayling Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    728

    Default

    I went with the 3500 because I wanted dual burners. At -15 below one burner on low kept it about 50. Both on high was a sauna at over 100 near the top of my AO10.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have a AO10 and the single burner Nu-Way stove, that setup is just like sleeping at home. Warm and dry, don't even sleep in my bag. clothes hung near the stove and pipe dry over night. I run mine all night on low and 20lbs will last me 7 to 10 days........
    I have both a single and a double burner and 10x10 tents. I mostly use them for ice fishing. It's true that they make an AO tent like a bedroom. The heat is easily regulated, no stinking, and it's dry. In winter ice fishing use, I seem to get about 4 days out of a tank. The single burner seems to be enough for me to -10, and that is pure comfort without overworking it or concern. If I was to use it for, say, a Kodiak deer hunt in November, I'd bet a tank would last a week for a single burner.

    No doubt, it is the most comfortable and convenient tent/stove setup I've ever seen.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i use the same tank... the ONLY thing really tickes me off about these tanks.. is that the normal bulk adapters for colman products dont fit it... the Y wont fit between the handles with out trimming them... and if you do, no one will fill it, the stands are a real pita to use and its a constant fight with the narrow space around the valve outlet... single lines, single appliance only
    http://www.litecylinder.com/

    Just a heads up that it looks like these tanks may have been recalled:
    http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...ompany_Inc.pdf

  17. #17
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,602

    Default

    Knew they were selling danger,shame.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  18. #18
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I have a 3000 that I no longer have a use for if anyone wants to buy one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •