Thread: Outcast cats

Default Outcast cats

I'm looking for something more stable than a kayak to float mainly the Kenai R. with. I'm looking at the Fish Cat 9-IR, Fish Cat 10-IR and the Fish Cat Cougar. Does anyone have one of these, or can anyone offer some input or comments on these? I thought I was going to get a bigger raft, but recently I bought a saltwater kayak. Also, I want to adhere to the KISS principle of keeping things simple. I would mainly use whatever I buy to fish and hopefully run a few non-life-threatening rapids, and even do some multi-day camping/fishing trips. Thanks...
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Small cats-

Rip,

The smaller cataraft setups would be ideal for your situation. If you're planning multi-day trips though, you'll want the carrying capacity of the Cougar or any of the larger ones. You shouldn't have any trouble with this boat on the upper Kenai; I see them in there all the time.

You can't beat the price, either!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,
    Why wouldn't you include them as being good for the lower Kenai? Is it due to the motorboat traffic there?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Lower Kenai cats

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    Mike,
    Why wouldn't you include them as being good for the lower Kenai? Is it due to the motorboat traffic there?
    Rip,

My mistake; I missed the Lower Kenai thing- yeah, this boat would work down there too. As you know, there is a lot of powerboat activity down there though, and some of those guys aren't really watching for floaters. I would advise sticking closer to shore just as a safety precaution there. But the cats will work as well there as anywhere else.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay