Thread: sewing of hides

Default sewing of hides

In the case i put a hole in the hide. What do you guys use to sew the hide back up with? I don't imagine regular sewing thread.

bumping this back up. I guess most of you don't stitch up your hides when you get a hole.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    bumping this back up. I guess most of you don't stitch up your hides when you get a hole.
    give it some time.. its early in the season and this forum is just getting started back up...

for what its worth.. on larger hides Sheep, cow, etc... we used to use, dental floss. i have seen folks use a simple small thread to tug the edges of the leather together on small critters.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have used dental floss, taxidermy thread and even braided fishing line.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Supporting Member

Waxed dental floss works for me. The waxed string slides easily through the hide and doesn't tear out and make the hole larger. JMO.

You could also use synthetic sinew, Black Elk Leather carries it.
    "Grin and Bear It"

thanks guys alot of different ideas. I was thinking dental floss in the back of my mind but i didn't think it would blend in very well.

I'm not an expert by any means, but have made several pairs of mittens and what not. I really prefer the triangular tipped skin needles over a regular needle...much less slipping on the hide. I get mine from AK Fur Exchange. They also sell a fur thread that is tan colored. Works well too.

I've always used fishing line. When I first started skinning hides, I had lots of practice stiching holes.

Ditto on the synthetic sinew from Black Elk. It works great. It's basically dyed dental floss. They also have a great selection of needles.