Thread: Ethanol in Alaska gasoline?

Default Ethanol in Alaska gasoline?

I just received the Fish Alaska magazine and there was an article by a charter captain describing how to winterize boats. One topic was about filling your gas tank vs. leaving it empty. One problem he said with leaving it full over the winter was that the ethanol in the gasonline could cause problems. A few years ago I checked on whether any gasoline stations in Alaska sold gasoline that contained ethanol and the answer was no. So does some of our gasoline now contain ethanol? Or was the charter guy wrong in what he said?

I believe all gasoline sold in Alaska is ethanol free and hopefully it stays that way. That said, places in SE where it may come up from a Washington or BC refinery could be different.

Wouldn't hold my breath that an article written in fishalaska is coming from an Alaskan-centric perspective. I know it is an Alaskan-based magazine, so maybe this is a mistaken thought, but...

My understanding is that there are very few stations that don't sell ethanol gas. Kgb cheveron being one that doesn't. There is some website where you can find ethanol free gas stations, sorry don't remember the name.

Uh, correction. Quick google search says all of AK is ethanol free. My mistake. Found at pure-gas.org

Default Ethanol in marine engines...

Ethanol in marine engines has been under some intense scrutiny during the past years; ethanol absorbs water (a bad thing for boat fuel) and is suspected of causing component failure as well (o-rings, fuel tank degradation, etc.) Lucky for us in Alaska, none of our fuel has ethanol in it (at least that was the case the last time I checked; about a year ago...) If anyone can confirm differently, please let us know!

Boat Safer! Mike

The first thing I thought when I read the article was that the author was from Outside. But then I went back and re-read and saw that he was talking about a boat that he uses (and stores) in Alaska. Maybe he's from Outside and just doesn't know that Alaska gasoline does not contain ethanol. But you'd think that the editor would catch that, wouldn't you??

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    I believe all gasoline sold in Alaska is ethanol free and hopefully it stays that way. That said, places in SE where it may come up from a Washington or BC refinery could be different.

Wouldn't hold my breath that an article written in fishalaska is coming from an Alaskan-centric perspective. I know it is an Alaskan-based magazine, so maybe this is a mistaken thought, but...
    It has Alaska based Articles, I'm not to sure its Alaska-based ownwership anymore, anybody know for sure.

I thought the same thing....

I also am wondering whether I can just run the wash down hose for a bit while out of the water to stop it from freezing up the pump??

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    The first thing I thought when I read the article was that the author was from Outside. But then I went back and re-read and saw that he was talking about a boat that he uses (and stores) in Alaska. Maybe he's from Outside and just doesn't know that Alaska gasoline does not contain ethanol. But you'd think that the editor would catch that, wouldn't you??
    I would if it could just be that the article was written years ago. If I recall correctly, Alaska used to use ethanol in gas, but no longer does so. I don't know when that change was made. Maybe he wrote the article when we were still using it, but only got published now (or re-published) and nobody caught that part.

Just for S&Gs I sent an email to the magazine asking about it. I'll post here if I get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I thought the same thing....

I also am wondering whether I can just run the wash down hose for a bit while out of the water to stop it from freezing up the pump??
    Run the pump to get as much water out as you can then disconnect the hose and drain. Then disconnect hose connections at the pump and run a little bit. I hve done this for yers and have no problem...other than making sure the connections are tight and not leaking next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    Run the pump to get as much water out as you can then disconnect the hose and drain. Then disconnect hose connections at the pump and run a little bit. I hve done this for yers and have no problem...other than making sure the connections are tight and not leaking next spring.
    I assume you guys are talking about the raw water wash down? I just disconnect the the hose from the pickup and stick it in some RV antifreeze and pump the pink stuff through. I have never been able to completely drain the pump of water with out disassembling, so this works for me.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I hate to hijack but thought this was related enough. I've been using Sta-bil in my boat every fall just before I winterize. I add a bottle, fill up the tank, run the motors for 10-15 minutes to get stabilized gas into the motors and then let it sit for the winter. I've been doing this for the last 4 winters with no problems. The motors start right up and I've never seen any evidence of water in my Racors. Given that Sta-bil is an ethanol based fuel stabilizer, what are everyone's thoughts on using it? This is what was recommended to me by several service places in town but I want to make sure it's the best way to winterize my boat for winter.

The ethanol in the Stabilizer will be diluted significantly if mixing at the correct ratio. I would suspect that you will not see any issues. I believe the issues with Ethanol are those of a chronic use not a once in a while use. Also, I believe that if there is Ethanol in fuels then it has to be noted on the pumping dispenser.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    I hate to hijack but thought this was related enough. I've been using Sta-bil in my boat every fall just before I winterize. I add a bottle, fill up the tank, run the motors for 10-15 minutes to get stabilized gas into the motors and then let it sit for the winter. I've been doing this for the last 4 winters with no problems. The motors start right up and I've never seen any evidence of water in my Racors. Given that Sta-bil is an ethanol based fuel stabilizer, what are everyone's thoughts on using it? This is what was recommended to me by several service places in town but I want to make sure it's the best way to winterize my boat for winter.
    I've done what you are doing for 12 years with no problems. Another benefit to filling the tank is that gas usually costs more the next year, and if I need an emergency source for gas for my generator I can always get it from the boat.