Thread: Kodiak deer reports?

Default Kodiak deer reports?

Anything from the Emerald Isle?

I'm making my traditional trek to Kodiak again this year, early November, into Uganik Bay area. It's a memorial hunt this year, as it will be in the future.

My best friend Jim Finn, who invited me on this hunt years ago, died this past summer and so his friends and I are making the trip in his memory. If you want hear about Jim and see a buck we shot together on one of this trips, here's a blog entry about his passing.

Anyway, if any of you have come out of Kodiak this season, I'd appreciate a report. Thanks....jim

Just got back from a goat hunt on the south end of the island. We saw ONE doe the whole time, and that was about two minutes before the plane dropped in to pick us up. My neighbor and another guy were a few drainages over goat hunting and they didn't see a single deer. We talked to several other hunting groups as we were heading into the field, and as we were leaving Kodiak, and everybody said the same thing. Hardly any deer to be found anywhere. We even talked to a guide for a while at the airport and he said the deer hunting had been very poor. I hate to rain on your parade, but I certainly wouldn't bother going there this year if your focus is on deer. On a bright note, the goat hunting was good.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. The hunting may not be as good as year's past, but I'd still go and celebrate your friends memory with all of his buddies. Can't think of a better way for anyone to honor a passing fellow hunter's memory than spending a few days in the field doing what they loved. Hopefully, you'll be able to still harvest a few deer. What a great tribute to a friend.

Thank you both for your input. We're going no matter if there's deer to be found or not. I've talked with Larry Daele in Kodiak about the deer die off last winter and it appears to be at least 30%.

We've been there before when those same conditions existed and scratched out 2-3 deer in the week, so we should have some deer to go home with. But that's not what we're after on this trip. We have some ashes to spread at that spot in the blog photo...

Cover ground and keep your eyes peeled. They're still hear, I've bumped into a few everyday I've been out playing, not as many, but enough.

We just got back from the southern part of the island yesterday. We were unsuccessful with the goats, but did see a fair number of deer and we ended up taking 8 between the 4 of us. My biggest deer sighting day was about 25.

151.jpg156.jpg

Man, nice buck! Things got a neck like Brock Lesner!

Jim- you running the boat from Homer?

Btw-have a good trip.

Not taking the boat down there this time of year. Sometime in the future I may try going to Afognak in August, but not November.

I'm glad the reports from guys coming out are positive!

I'd like to make the run one of these days too, missed out on my elk tag this year due to weather, but August sounds nice!

cliffhanger,
    I'm headed to Larsen Bay on Friday. I'll be there a week. It's a boat-based hunt so hunting the north side of Spiridon is a possibility. Will post a report when I get home.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today