Thread: New Member, Looking for some 12x16 cabin plans!

Default New Member, Looking for some 12x16 cabin plans!

Hello everybody, i know im not from alaska, but i came across this site while looking for some plans for a cabin. I live in the woods of PA, about 20 miles from anything on a 110 acre farm. Im looking to build a 12x16 cabin to build for my senior project in high school. how are you guys doing the foundation? i was going to use 6x6's (treated) as piles and build on that after i cut them level (with the help of a laser level). I need some floor plan ideas, anything would be greatly appreciated. Im going to use 16" stud spacing for a stronger structure, and am going to use a loft for the sleeping. I plan on using 2x4x10 for the walls, so i can have 8ft ceiling with an extra two feet for the loft area (im 6'2" and not getting shorter so i need the height haha)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Hey there, good to hear. I built a 16'x20' timber frame cabin that went up fast and easy. Can be done with no skilled helpers. I am a carpenter by trade and my buddy is a carpenter and we had the timbers and walls up and roof on in a weekend. Then cut in windows and roofed with metal as I could afford but it was a warm dry spot to camp as I continued building. Woudl love to help ya as it is a great and rewarding journey. Email me.
    Bryant: bglofgren@gmail.com
    Thanks.

If you could get some used RR ties they make good pilings.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729769...in/photostream

Heres what i got so far. Keep in mind, there will be a 12 foot loft with an open four feet to allow air circulation

Quote Originally Posted by dlettie9 View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729769...in/photostream

Heres what i got so far. Keep in mind, there will be a 12 foot loft with an open four feet to allow air circulation
    You're going to need quite a bit of storage space. I'd recommend overhead cabinets on three walls (windoes cut down on this storage space). Not only for food, but for broom, mop, dust pan, and other cleaning stuff. I'm presuming that additional storage space (clothes, boots, etc) will be found on the upper level . . . . . ? Shelves on the upper level, I presume.

Music Man has a good idea about the railroad ties. They have a better moisture proofing than do the 6x6 materials you plan for pilings. The ties will last much longer. With 2x4 walls, be sure to include solid blocking between the studs at mid-height. For walls 8'-0" high, that's not necessary, but 10'-0" walls will require it. It would be best if you could surround your pilings with gravel, which will promote drainaga around the piles and allow a longer life for them.

You don't say what your "furnace" is, but it tells me that you expect to use the cabin in colder weather. In that case, you might want to consider 2x6 walls for their deeper insulation space. 5 1/2" as opposed to 3 1/2". Framing the walls on the ground (on the floor deck) will allow you to frame in the windows before erecting the walls. Neater job, and the walls are then finished when erected.

Finally, I'd consider 2x6x10' studs. That would give you an additional 2' of vertical space on the upper level. You will NOT be happy with a 2' loft, I'm sure.

The elements provide quite a few considerations, such as insulation, vapor barriers, roof ventilation, etc. If interested in addressing these and other matters, PM me. I'll respond right away. More than three decades of cold weather architecture and engineering has taught me a lot. Perhaps I can help a little ...................................