Thread: Big Pike and Salmon fishing in August

Default Big Pike and Salmon fishing in August

Hi all,

Iím from Italy and looking for some good places and best opportunities in Alaska to fish for these two species in August.
    We are 4 guys and want to spend a week for salmon and one for big pike.
    If you are outfitters or anglers that know what is best, please feels free to give me that information via forum or mail.

If you like I can swap informations about Italy Pike and Huge Cats, Ireland Big Pike and other Europe fishing opportunities.

Thanks

fish the yukon river for big pike, if you have the money go out west for silvers on dry flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

In my searching for big pike, it seems like most of the websites I come across (Goggling "Alaska pike fishing," or something along those lines) are in the western part of the state. And pretty much every one of these outfits targets multiple species, including pike and salmon...they kind of cater to what you want. That being said, a vast majority of these opportunities exist in the Yukon River drainage area, including it's tributaries, as well as, to a lesser extent, the Kuskokwim River drainage area.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I live in Italy (Tirennia pi.) and am very interested in information on fishing there. I won't be moving to Alaska for a while so unfortunatly I don't have much information for you. However I'm willing to share tip's and tricks. I've always wondered how to catch those cat's in the Arno I see from the bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    fish the yukon river for big pike, if you have the money go out west for silvers on dry flies

Hi,
    thank you
    what you consider the best area/rivers system for silvers in august?

Hi MNV,
    to cathc those silurus you could try some spoon, solid jigs, plastic shads or crankbaits with heavy hooks and split rings.
    also propwash topwaters (tally wacker style) when fish are close to the banks
    we use musky rods and 6000 garcias loaded with 80-100 lb power pro.
    One guy caught a 8 feet silurus catfish in the river Po with a lure some weeks ago.

I saw a fishing show once where they targeted those monsters in the Po. Very impressive!
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Fishing Pike in Alaska . . .

You want to target areas that have had pike historically IF you want to go after trophy sized fish. That means the Yukon River and tribs. You'll need to find guides that work and know these areas for pike. Southcentral Alaska (Anchorage and the road system) isn't well known for it's pike fishing. Yes, there are pike here, but it's not yet a big fishery, and the state is battling it in the hope to eliminate pike in this area. It threatens the current traditional fishery (Salmon/Trout/Dollys) as we know it. Northern Pike is a threat to the Southcentral Alaska fisheries that most responsible anglers hope is reduced and eliminated . . . . however, I doubt it will ever be eliminated.

In other words, if you want to go after trophy Alaska pike, look towards fly-in fishing in the Yukon drainage. You won't find TRUE trophy pike fishing on the road system. THAT is a good thing. And let's all hope it remains that way!

As for salmon . . . there are many drainages that offer outstanding salmon fishing. It's likely that any guide worth his weight will be able to put you into salmon. Alaska IS known for it's salmon fisheries. And let's all be thankful for that! If it weren't for salmon, the other fisheries (trout/dollies/pike/etc) would be a mere shadow of what they are today!

Quote Originally Posted by luca View Post
    Hi,
    thank you
    what you consider the best area/rivers system for silvers in august?

I'd go to the Goodnews River Lodge
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    In my searching for big pike, it seems like most of the websites I come across (Goggling "Alaska pike fishing," or something along those lines) are in the western part of the state. And pretty much every one of these outfits targets multiple species, including pike and salmon...they kind of cater to what you want. That being said, a vast majority of these opportunities exist in the Yukon River drainage area, including it's tributaries, as well as, to a lesser extent, the Kuskokwim River drainage area.

the real problem is that is very difficult to plan a trip with some people. they have good websites but don't reply much to mails...

thanks all for informations.

Default Trophy Pike

Check these guys out.

http://www.mstpa.com/

Default Yukon River

Yukon River.

I would love to know more about European Pike fishing and cat hunting.
    What sort of cats are in Italy?

Too many places to hunt and fish and not enough time or money.
    Marc Theiler