Thread: ATV snow plow

Default ATV snow plow

Just got an almost new Grizzly 450. Also recently purchased a home with 2 drives. Looking at a plow for the wheeler to do some of the plowing.
    Are all plow mounts the same? Local dealer says no and they are brand and size specific.
    Anyone have experience with this?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yes, they are specific (brand, at least) on how they mount to the frame. Mine mounts between the footpegs and frame on my grizzly. It doesn't work on my friend's Arctic cats. Now, the mounting bracket is not that complicated and if you have any metal skills, you could probably make it and save some money.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

On my 12 year old zukie the mount to the wheeler is specific, the push bar and plow are all standard parts. I bought a plow and push bar off craisgslist from a guy who bought a blower instead. Then I bought the mounts for my wheeler and mounted it up. Its about all I use the wheeler for now since I bought my boat.

On a side note, spend the extra $$ and get wings for your plow.. that way you keep a bit more of the snow in front of you. If you have any welding skills (I don't) I am sure you could customize the plow quite a bit.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you can come up with a few extra bucks, the Warn Pro Vantage front mount is handy. No loss of ground clearance with the sub-frame mount and push tubes, much easier to mount and dismount, and the plow raises up much higher so you don't get hung up on your snow piles. I have two drives also, so I know how much work it is.

550 Grizzly last January (yes, there is a ditch below that pile)

I went w/ the factory plow and mount for my 06 Grizz, when I picked it up years ago. I think I parted w/ about $500 at the time. I can't imagine winter w/o it!

I second the Warn ProVantage front mount!! They need a couple small modifications from my experience, but much better than most.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Mike i have a shovel you can Bungee on for free
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I second the Warn ProVantage front mount!! They need a couple small modifications from my experience, but much better than most.
    Got any pictures? While my mount works, I would prefer something up front only.

Don't forget the stops on the front shocks. They are not mandatory but will save your front shocks in the long run
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Got any pictures? While my mount works, I would prefer something up front only.

Here is my ProVantage mount, with an updated pulley system that came out this year. The original mount had a plastic guide that the winch rope ran through at the base of the plow mount and then back to the lower mount bracket (where the two empty small tabs are at the mount base in picture) that was prone to break easy. It was intended to be like a shear pin, but just wasn't practical. The update has a new pulley that mounts to the base giving a much better rope angle and won't shear off prematurely.

Default ATV snow plow

Dirt - I posted a couple pics of the front mount over on my 6x6 build thread. Granted they are focusing on something different, but may give you a rough idea.

MOR - thanks for posting those pics - I've been curious what that kit achieved! What I did previously was turn a small pulley on my lathe out of aluminum, then have a grade 8 bolt I uses for a pin. I'm surprised they're still putting that silly plastic lift point in there - it's absolute garbage!!

Default ATV snow plow

Dirt - I just checked. Post #79 of that thread, which is on page 4 has a great pic of the Warn front mount installed!

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I'm surprised they're still putting that silly plastic lift point in there - it's absolute garbage!!
    The new ProVantage does not have the plastic piece, there is now a metal pulley. Still pretty tight angles (down at the winch roller and back at the plow mount) that are hard on ropes/cables but it lifts nice and fast. This new kit to retrofit old plows really eases the angles, but is slow because of the snatch block idea for lifting power. I am still curious to see if the strap included in the kit bends the front rack or not with a heavy lift. I could always go to the lower bumper pipe, but that will make a sharper angle at the pulley. I'll report back later this season when we get MORSNO.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hey mike.. still got that shovel.. its 12 W x 14 tall.. better hurry though LILbit is eye balling it for her toy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default ATV snow plow

I just got a new Provantage set up, and it still has the plastic piece. The metal pulley is a add-on.

That's at least how I understand it - disappointing as it is.

Where did you get it at? Anchorage Yamaha showed me the new style in their shop a week ago. The add on pulley is for the old style with the plastic piece, the new ones have a pulley in the same place as the plastic piece.

Default ATV snow plow

Weird - I got mine from Anchorage Yamaha, but since my 60" blade was custom order, they ordered me push tubes as well since he didn't want to gamble them having push tubes in stock when my blade got in.

I wonder if I got an old version from the distributor or something?

FWIW, the plastic on mine seems more reinforced than the plastic one two years ago. I may call them though and pick their brain.

It was a 54" that I saw, maybe the 60" is still different???? Don't know why it would be though.