Thread: Quadruple Sharptails

Default Quadruple Sharptails

Was able to harvest my first sharptail grouse a few days ago. Myself and fellow forum member JediMasterSalmonSlayer went out on Thursday to a spot outside of Delta Junction. It was a brisk clear morning with temps below freezing. We covered several miles and encountered multiple coveys of sharptails. Also saw multiple pairs of spruce grouse. I was able to harvest one sharptail and my mentor was able to take a triple. A fantastic day for sure but it was only noon and we had additional plans. We headed down to the Delta Clearwater and launched my boat. After running around checking the various holes for silvers, we found them stacked up and started to real them in. All in all we landed around 40 or so. You kind of lose count after the first several. What an epic day we had in the great Alaska outdoors.

Nice job, fellas! Hard to believe their any sharptails still hanging around. I would have figured them to have departed for wintering grounds a week or so ago. They probably did after you two messed with them! Good eating to both of you.

Jim

Wholey poultry Gutleap! Nicely done! The blast & cast extraordinare!!! You and the inimitable Jedimaster.....

Nice! Late fall birds....should have one or two that are of taxidermy quality!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

sounds like a GREAT day...love those bright colored fish!
    I dont see any bird dogs there? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    sounds like a GREAT day...love those bright colored fish!
    I dont see any bird dogs there? :-)
    fire trucks they are....and your correct no bird dogs for us 8 (

"Bandit" my husky/malamute mix is not much of a pointer/retriever and would be jealous if I took another dog out. He gets seperation anxiety...lol
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Nice! Late fall birds....should have one or two that are of taxidermy quality!
    I was hoping to still get one mounted, but all these birds went on the grill. The snow started falling and sticking yesterday, thinking one more try to get a sharp tail for mounting this season. Hoping they stick around the area for a while longer, there was lots of berries still. I sent my first bird to get mounted in September, only to find out it had too many pin feathers. So I was out the shipping cost and told to try and get a late season bird (just like you mention). I have to go to Anchorage this weekend, so I hope I will not be too late and they disappear before I return.

I may have to for go the sharp tail mount and and work on getting a winter rock ptarmigan mounted instead this year
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    fire trucks they are....and your correct no bird dogs for us 8 (

"Bandit" my husky/malamute mix is not much of a pointer/retriever and would be jealous if I took another dog out. He gets seperation anxiety...lol

I understand completely, I get that way too when I'm away from my little britt, Gal. When I got back this last time from a trip, there was lots of jumping around, wrestling and kisses...and she was pretty excited too....8-)