Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing Burbot around the Matsu Su side?

Talking Ice fishing Burbot around the Matsu Su side?

I am born and raised Alaskan, I have spend much of my summers fishing for salmon and trout but I have not done much ice fishing. I have never caught a Burbot let alone acutally catch a fish ice fishing lol. I have been trying to find as much information as I can on ice fishing for burbot and have come up with very little. What I have found was fish guts (or parts ) just off the bottom from 10-25 feet during the winter. I also read that night time was the best time of the day.

That said I know Biglake has Burbot in it but I also know that there is a lot of polution in that lake. I have seen many trout and char caught that were deformed with extra parts and would rather not eat any thing out of that lake lol. I have heard that there are other lakes around here that have them and I know many wont say which lakes which I can understand. I am just wondering what to look for in a lake to see if it may have burbot. This winter a friend along with my 6 year old son and myself are looking into where to find burbot or how to find them. We have an ice auger and I am going to build or buy a portable Ice tent/shanty. I have a snowmachine if needed but would like to find some places close to home (Biglake area) that we could possibly drive to so I could make a family trip out of it a few times.

Any advise on what to look for or how to fish for them would greatly appreciated. My son and I are already getting amped for ice fishing and looking forward to getting out there and possibley bringing home some tasty fish. My 6 year old is already asking if there is ice on the lakes so we can go ice fishing lol.

ask at the palmer F&G office, i'm sure they know which lakes have burbot.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Most of the died in the wool burbot fishermen I know jig with spoons at night for them.
    The time is usually during the spawn in Feb/March in those 10-25 foot depths.

Some good burbot ice fishing info here: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...php?board=38.0

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Most of the died in the wool burbot fishermen I know jig with spoons at night for them.
    The time is usually during the spawn in Feb/March in those 10-25 foot depths.

Some good burbot ice fishing info here: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...php?board=38.0
    Thanks for the Link Drifter.

homerdave, I was looking on their website and found a couple but they were about two hour drive from where I live. I think I will give them a call and ask them. Thanks for the responce.

Long Lake, Mi 86 Glenn hwy has Burbot. Or maybe I should say used to as I haven't ice fished there in several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Long Lake, Mi 86 Glenn hwy has Burbot. Or maybe I should say used to as I haven't ice fished there in several years.
    Thanks, I just so happened to look that lake up earlier and seen it was listed for burbot. I also seen that Buyers Lake does also. I think both are equally as far away too lol.

I think this up coming Weekend me and a buddy are going to go up north to some of the creeks that mouth into the Susitna and try for some burbot from shore. I am thinking about hitting some where like mouth of Kashwitna, Sheep creek maybe Caswell where the clear water runs into the silt.

I do have one question, I am planning on hitting places where bait is allowed so I am just wondering would Salmon eggs work? I have 2 gallons of salmon eggs from the last couple years frozen solid in my freezer. I have read fish guts and flesh will work so im just wondering if the salmon eggs would work just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Thanks, I just so happened to look that lake up earlier and seen it was listed for burbot. I also seen that Buyers Lake does also. I think both are equally as far away too lol.

I think this up coming Weekend me and a buddy are going to go up north to some of the creeks that mouth into the Susitna and try for some burbot from shore. I am thinking about hitting some where like mouth of Kashwitna, Sheep creek maybe Caswell where the clear water runs into the silt.

I do have one question, I am planning on hitting places where bait is allowed so I am just wondering would Salmon eggs work? I have 2 gallons of salmon eggs from the last couple years frozen solid in my freezer. I have read fish guts and flesh will work so im just wondering if the salmon eggs would work just as well.
    I don't think burbot are a particularly fussy eater. One time my kids put small ( 1 inch ) pieces of hot dog on their hooks and they caught burbot. I've used pieces of troll herring. Figure 8 lake down in the Su Flats also has some burbot in it. But in recent years it's been kind of hit and miss.

I've used salmon eggs for burbot and they worked well. FYI- I was using BIG chunks.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Ok, good.

I want to try to hit places where I can use bait. Correct me if im wrong, but you cant use bait in places like Montana Creek or Willow where trout are catch and release correct? Thats why I am wanting to hit places like Sheep or Kashwitna or Caswell where there is no Catch and release on trout so I dont need to worry about using bait. I keep reading that they like smelly bait (One reason I figured Salmon eggs would work good) and being my first time fishing for burbot I would like to use what they are most likely to go after. That and like I said, I have about 2 gallons of eggs I have aquired over the years and need to use it up some how lol.

Default Re: Ice fishing Burbot around the Matsu Su side?

Are there exceptions allowing bait use for the Eastside Big Su tributaries when icefishing for burbot? I've never seen any, but I've never looked.

OK, I found it now that I actually looked. Bait is legal when fishing for burbot as long as you're not fishing in trophy trout regulation waters, use proper sized hooks, and proper number of lines. Page 22, right there in the box labeled Burbot fishing.

Thats why I was planning on fishing places where there are no trophy or catch and release only waters for trout. Thats the way I understood it also.

I start ice fishing for burbot when it gets dark outside. I fish in about 5-6feet of water and bait the lake bottom with chopped up herring. I then begin jigging a glow in the dark grub just above the chopped herring. Every so often recharge the grub with a flash light so the glow is more intense. I have had a lot of success fishing this method.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I start ice fishing for burbot when it gets dark outside. I fish in about 5-6feet of water and bait the lake bottom with chopped up herring. I then begin jigging a glow in the dark grub just above the chopped herring. Every so often recharge the grub with a flash light so the glow is more intense. I have had a lot of success fishing this method.
    LOL and freezing your ass off trying to recharge your jig in the hut without the heater. For some reason that place just doesn't sound to appealing anymore. I swear when I'm doing that I go for minutes upon minutes trying to see down the dark hole. Imagine a MuskRat coming out of the hole while you are doing that!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

bigcox LOL!

We are actually either going to modify a large tent (modify the floor) and us a heater or I may try to make some kind of a Off the back tent for my Bronco possibly. Im sure we wont use it all the time, but on those nights when its say -10 or colder it would be nice to be in a semi Warm place while fishing through the ice lol. My son is pretty tough for a little guy (6 years old) but im sure when it gets really cold outside he wont last too long before he starts getting to cold to stay out.

Lol. The glow in the dark jig is all you see in the hole. All is dark except the dancing glow of the glow in the dark grub and then......it dissapears. Hook set! Fish on or off but thats how it is. You see it dissapear and set the hook. Pretty exciting and you are completley focused on the glow. And then a muskrat jumps out of the hole and scares you to death! lol

I will have to give that a try. Sounds pretty fun to be able to watch your lure vanish in the darkness and know that its a fish on

Default Ice fishing Burbot around the Matsu Su side?

Lol. The glow in the dark jig is all you see in the hole. All is dark except the dancing glow of the glow in the dark grub and then......it dissapears. Hook set! Fish on or off but thats how it is. You see it dissapear and set the hook. Pretty exciting and you are completley focused on the glow. And then a muskrat jumps out of the hole and scares you to death! lol
    Curious do you have to keep the heater off to keep light down. Or does it not effect the fish?

Default burbs

If there is enough water for a fish to swim under the ice you will catch them there too. Back in the early 80's we would catch them out of Flathorn where there was only a foot of water under the ice, some nice ones too. The lakes in the valley which hold burbot are limited now, because of the pike which are in any lake that has a stream connected to the Big Su, the source from which the burbot comes from to the local lakes.
    One of the lakes, however, does have monster burbot in it, at least 37 inches, and one which would not come out.(lol)
    In my opinion, the best burbot fishing within a couple hunderd miles of Anchorage, Wasilla, is the lakes in the Lake Louise area. They are better than the late 90's but are still marginal compared to the fishing before the mid 80's. The bigger lakes are good, but sometimes grabbing a map and searching for others connected by streams to a large water source, can be the bomb.

Thanks for the Info guys I had a thought, if jigging works good for Burbot, would jigging with a hearing work better? Or is it best to just let bait lay still?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast