Thread: My First, Successful Grouse Hunt!

Talking My First, Successful Grouse Hunt!

Grouse Hunt
    Bagged my first grouse today! Went down to the Kenai last night and camped. I missed a grouse there last week and decided to try the sameplace. Hunted a bit last night before it got toolate and didn’t see anything. Got upthis morning and started walking the unimproved road from legal shooting timetill about 10AM. Then some guy in a pick-up passed me road hunting in his truck so I went back and moved to my secondary covert. Which I have never been to until today. Did some recon and it ended up being my second covert, (new guy). Walked a single track for about a mile or so. There were a lot of berries here, more than my other location. There was alsomore bear scat than I have ever seen except down by the Russian river. So any way, I’m walking from one group of spruceto another. Kind of crunching throughuntil I could stand in a spot I thought I would be able to at shoot fromwithout being tangled in the brush. Allof a sudden I hear this guy flush with no chance for any shot whatsoever. But, he flew a very short distance and landedagain and I saw where he went. So Istarted to move to get a better angle and off he goes. I instinctively shot toward him and feathersflew! I was standing therecongratulating myself when I looked at where he went. Through this little clear spot into a draw Iwas sure a giant bear was living! Ittook me almost 30 minutes to get to the downed bird through the alder fromwhere I shot from and another 10 to get back on the trail. I was singing no “bears allowed’ and “yea I walk…”in hopes of warning a bear I was there. Those are my bear warning chants usually accompanied with some Barney Fifeclattering. If my shotgun had a bayonetlug I would have fixed bayonets because it would have been bayonets and brass knucklesdown there by the time I got my revolver out… Here are a couple pics.

This is where he went. You can't really tell from the picture, but it goes down a steep ravine filled with some "mature" alder!

Nice grouse....nice SxS too!

I hate it when they fly into the thick stuff but congrats!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well done! What kind of gun is that? Looks like a Filson vest as well. I love my Filson strap vest. Do you run a dog?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Great photo, and your story,...a classic !!

the Bear factor,...is what keeps it all entertaining right?,.... and your writing,...even more so, for us,....

Congrats on the Fine Table Fare,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Congratulations, and welcome to the grouse and ptarmigan hunting fraternity! Good choice of gun, IMHO!

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Hoyt, the gun is a Smith & Wesson Elite Gold and the vest is Filson. I'm a big Filson fan. I don't have a hunting dog yet. I have a reservation for an English Setter form a breeder in Michigan. So I should have my Llewelin pup here in early December.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Congratulations, and welcome to the grouse and ptarmigan hunting fraternity! Good choice of gun, IMHO!

Thanks for sharing.

Jim
    Jim, thank you and thanks for putting your experience and passion for all of it in your book. Many paragraghs highlighted and is a great reference point other than previous upland hunting for pheasant and quail. I'm looking forward to the ptarmigan as well. That will be another first for me. As stated below, I'll have a dog soon and will begin that whole relationship of training and hunting with a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Great photo, and your story,...a classic !!

the Bear factor,...is what keeps it all entertaining right?,.... and your writing,...even more so, for us,....

Congrats on the Fine Table Fare,
    Kodiak, the bear factor will certainly keep folks on their toes. I ran one out of the bushes last week. I think someone has a bait station or had one back there.
    I don't know why some of the words are connected in the text though. I usually write on a word doc first then cut and past it over. Maybe it is a spacing issue... Anyhow I'm glad you liked it and got the mental image. That usually comes from someone having been there as well! You know those conversations with self on, "how bad this is going to hurt" or "this is not a good place to be in if (fill in blank) happens". I hope when I get my dog, he has a liberal amount of "Lassie save you master, again" bred in! Perhaps I can teach him to use a cell phone, find a place where it will work and give a GPS lat/long position to the right agency? All I'll need to do is shoot.

Keep tuning in here, Mark. Nice to have you along. Good crowd here.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    from legal shooting timetill about 10AM.
    Is there an illegal shooting time outside of duck hunting?

Nice sprucie btw, I wish we had those guys around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Is there an illegal shooting time outside of duck hunting?

Nice sprucie btw, I wish we had those guys around here.
    There are not, I used it pretty much as a reference to time. Shooting times are usually directly proportionate to how cold it is outside of the sleeping bag. Unless of course one is hunting migratory birds which are federally regulated.

Nice Job, Congrats
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Hoyt, the gun is a Smith & Wesson Elite Gold and the vest is Filson. I'm a big Filson fan. I don't have a hunting dog yet. I have a reservation for an English Setter form a breeder in Michigan. So I should have my Llewelin pup here in early December.
    Nice gun! Comig from a guy with two setters, I'm a big fan!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful gun.

Looks/sounds like a great day. Those grouse sure are attractive birds.

Very nice write up and great picture.

great job on your first spruce grouse!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Well now that we have snow down here on the peninsula it will be changing the game a little, but if you come down here again and want a hunting partner get a hold of me on here and I would be happy to meet you and get together for a hunt