Thread: Have a buddy looking for a James Bay

Default Have a buddy looking for a James Bay

Anyone know of one for sale?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Anyone know of one for sale?
    http://www.kanoepeople.com/sales.html is there in Whitehorse there, right?

I don't think Scott at KP has any used for sale this year. I was talking to him just last week.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Any idea how much a new James Bay canoe would cost? I am having no luck figuring... Also, do you think a 20 hp SS would work on the JB and how well as compared to the "up to 40 hp" recommended. Thank you.

I think you would be a bit underpowered with a 20. I had a 24 foot Wood Freighter in Nunavut with the same lines as the JB and found a 35-40 HP was about right. My much lighter Hudson Bay Freighter likes a 20.

Of Course a 20 would work but driving against current or in big water you would be a bit underpowered.

Thank you, North 61, for sharing your experience with us. I appreciate it! Have you got a lead on what the JB and the HB cost these days. I have no idea. Thank you!

Scott Canoes will ship to KP in Whitehorse. The shipping and retail cost tends to push the price of Scott Canoes past the reasonable mark. Driving over from Alaska and trailering a Scott back adds another fairly big chunk of change with the price of fuel and the horrible condition of the Canadian Highways means there is a good chance you will damage something in the process. All in all it makes no sense to buy a Scott Canoe. (from Alaska) The way for Scott to remedy this situation is to get an Alaska Dealer and provide for reasonable shipping cost. Scott appears to be content with the current status quo... I won't be buying a Scott anytime in the near future. One other feature of Scott Canoes that I don't care for, is their use of pressed matt type fiberglass instead of a good weave type "S"glass or other composite material lay-up that is stronger and much lighter. For the price that you are paying, you should be getting more for your money. End of rant....

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Scott Canoes will ship to KP in Whitehorse. The shipping and retail cost tends to push the price of Scott Canoes past the reasonable mark. Driving over from Alaska and trailering a Scott back adds another fairly big chunk of change with the price of fuel and the horrible condition of the Canadian Highways means there is a good chance you will damage something in the process. All in all it makes no sense to buy a Scott Canoe. (from Alaska) The way for Scott to remedy this situation is to get an Alaska Dealer and provide for reasonable shipping cost. Scott appears to be content with the current status quo... I won't be buying a Scott anytime in the near future. One other feature of Scott Canoes that I don't care for, is their use of pressed matt type fiberglass instead of a good weave type "S"glass or other composite material lay-up that is stronger and much lighter. For the price that you are paying, you should be getting more for your money. End of rant....
    Don't think it's Scotts' (canoe builder not Scott @ KP) issue to deal with.
    You've had this rant before. We're a capitalist society, so here's a business opportunity for someone. Unless of course there's not enough market for freighters in Ak to justify starting a distributorship. Kind of like me complaining that there is no Wooldridge distributor in Whitehorse and having to drive to Anchorage to buy one over the horrible old AlCan. Yet another one of the trials and tribulations us Northerners face eh?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I don't know how they build them but my HBC is one heck of a boat. Very strong and for the huge size pretty light. Don't know anything else at 250 pounds that is as capable. My job has me putting thousands of miles on Yukon highways in a month and with 160,000KM on the work vehicle I haven't broken anything yet, except the occasional rock crack in the wind shield. So Alaska Woodsman I'll check the Whitehorse price for you if you send me a PM and are serious about it. Great town to visit!

As a rough estimate The HBC is about $3600 and the JB about $7100 + Shipping to WH. If you order for the Spring you can get a break on shipping as they bring a wack of boats up at once and you can nest a lot of boats in a James Bay. With our strong dollar it might be too dear but I sent an email to KP on your behalf.

North 61,

Thank you for writing back to me and giving me a ball park estimate. I will pm you.

It must have been my imagination that was bottoming out the suspension on my truck as I drove from the Border to Kluane. Not one road repair crew in site. No one even marking the frost heaves that at times looked more like earthquake damage. I wonder why the business owners I talked to about the road condition in Whitehorse said they were aware of the problem and that there business was down (with alaskans) because of it. Must be my imagination. For an hour or more over by Beaver Creek you could maybe do 25mph tops without bottoming out in the frost heaves.
    Also there was an attempt to sell Scott Canoes by a Boat Shop in Fairbanks. It was too expensive by the time they got them to Fairbanks to compete. Scott wouldn't ship past Whitehorse.

I met a guy who destroyed the front axle of his one ton ford truck last year. He only hit the particular section going about 35 mph. I was considering delivery to Whitehorse of up to four canoes for 500-700 total shipping (depending on fuel costs). But the trailer has to be custom made to handle four 22 ft. freighter canoes, with boat trailers, AND motors in abusive conditions.

I've been looking into older military trailers extended by a welding shop. We used to run the crap out of those trailers in Iraq, and they were bullet proof. Only problem, they need to be re-wired to 12 volt. I've been eyeing auctions, and brainstorming with welders too. The plan is to combine two HUMVEE trailers to get the nice suspension and TWO axles.

If I can't deliver my canoes personally, I won't be selling them. Thus, a Whitehorse dealer is the furthest I'll go. Other n that, delivery along the Alaska road system is cake.

From what I've drawn up, the canoes will sit on their trailers all facing rear-ward. I will have a lift boom that will be built onto the trailer. The copperhead motors will be bolted to mock-transoms inside my truck bed.

Logistics.......it's been my biggest head-ache thus far.

Canada does not build roads to no where as much as Alaska does.If you consider that probably 90% of the traffic from CarCross to the border is American why would canaa want to spend the money.I don't think there would be a road if we hadn't built it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

right on with that one

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    North 61,

Thank you for writing back to me and giving me a ball park estimate. I will pm you.
    My private messages was full. I have cleaned it up now so if I get a message I'll be ready.

To be fair I have never been past Destruction Bay so have no idea of road conditions from there to the border. Most of my Driving is on the highway to Dawson. Mayo or Faro.

I remember the roads from Dawson,Whitehorse and Watson Lake to Haines were good so folks could come catch fresh salmon
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Canada does not build roads to no where as much as Alaska does.If you consider that probably 90% of the traffic from CarCross to the border is American why would canaa want to spend the money.I don't think there would be a road if we hadn't built it.
    Here's a good link explaining the whole Shakwak project, capital costs and O&M funding.
    http://www.hpw.gov.yk.ca/pdf/shakwak...brochure09.pdf
    if a prospective dealer in Ak wanted to, could you get a bunch of them barged to Anchorage with Lynden?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Thanks for the link Yukoner. Very informative, I guess they haven't figured out how to stabilize the permafrost, so it is a stalemate over funding also. Canada owes the majority, followed by the US/Alaska, then the Yukon. So what is the answer? Sodium tubes?

Thanks for the link Yukoner. Very informative, I guess they haven't figured out how to stabilize the permafrost, so it is a stalemate over funding also. Canada owes the majority, followed by the US/Alaska, then the Yukon. So what is the answer? Sodium tubes?
    Having driven the Alcan,Dalton,Elliot,Tailor,Denali, and Steese hwy's since 82 and just came up the Alcan last week, I can say there ain't nothing wrong with it and if if you you ain't got the sense to slow down to the road conditions, I guess you should travel in the cub.And as far as the Scott's inferiority because of poor materials, there is a mountain of boats that have stood the test of time built with mat glass and polyester resiin.

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    And as far as the Scott's inferiority because of poor materials, there is a mountain of boats that have stood the test of time built with mat glass and polyester resiin.
    I have not heard anyone use the word inferior before. Don't like that word used on a Scott...

I and other members here have posted how incredibly strong I have proven (against many many rocks) that my Scott hull actually is.

While its probable that there are stronger weaves/etc. than they use, what they use is tough as nails. And if I ever do knock a hole in it, it can be patched riverside, in mere hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast