Thread: Anyone get any birds today?

Default Anyone get any birds today?

Just wondering if anyone saw birds in any numbers today... Going tomorrow but I was just curous how anyone did today 9-13?
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

I got 3, but only saw about 20. Some guy set up on top of me, so a buch of the birds that may have come in flared off because he was standing up or farting around in his decoys all morning. I wasn't a happy camper.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I put the studs on the wifes car today, ask me tomorrow afternoon when I'm watching the football games. Bud
    Wasilla

I sure hate that
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    Just wondering if anyone saw birds in any numbers today... Going tomorrow but I was just curous how anyone did today 9-13?
    Was going to take my son out for his first hunt today but the wind stopped us. I know how miserable it is in high wind and didn't want his first hunt to be a bad memory.

I hope everyone else had a good day.

JM

I went out on the costal refuge and found a spot to set up some decoys. I managed a mallard and two widgeons. It was cold sittin there with the north wind pelting you. I didn't see many and shot a bird from each group that came in to my spread. I doubt there is much open water out there now. I'm starting to think the end is near for my season.

out before the football game today, got 4 nice fat northern mallards, sure were pretty. came home and watched the last 12 minutes of the game, which seattle came back form being down 20-10 to win 24-23. Yea seattle. Bud
    Wasilla

Nice Bud!

I finally broke my dry spell and came home after a beautiful day hunting. I came home with six, 2 fat mallard hens, a double on greenheads, a widgeon, and a gadwall. I also have to put two ** next to todays take as the first two birds were shot but flew away as though nothing happened. I watched close and both of these birds flew over the horizon probibiting any chance at retrieval by the doggie. It was wierd... I knew I hit 'em because there were feathers floating down after the shooting stopped. I hate crippling birds and I figured I'd see them drop in a delayed fashion as they do sometimes but both of these birds were flapping strong as they disappeared into the distance. I counted them toward my take so in a strange way, I guess I limited...kinda. Those ballistic down vests are hard to penetrate I guess... even with #2s.

Dodger

Dodger,
    Were you hunting down south? We went out Saturday morning & thought I saw a light in your blind. We went a little closer to the mtn from where we lost the shotie. It started snowing early down there & the visibility was low but only geese were moving. Had two mallards come in as we were standing up getting ready to pick up decoys & they flared off. The came back twice while we were picking up but they got a pass for this year. Those were really the only ones we saw, which was surprising. There were only a couple shots heard to the north, & a few to the south but it was fairly quiet

got 17 or 18 between 3 of us. Few puddlers, divers, mostly sea dux, only 1 scoter. Saw thousands of ducks and several hundred geese. It was snowy, cold, rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    got 17 or 18 between 3 of us. Few puddlers, divers, mostly sea dux, only 1 scoter. Saw thousands of ducks and several hundred geese. It was snowy, cold, rainy.
    Where were you hunting? Around south central?

My brother, my son and I were out this last weekend. We had a great day Saturday. 13 mallards, 6 widgeons, 3 gadwalls and 2 teal. Birds were coming in most of the afternoon on a high tide and with the rain and a little wind the decoys and mojo did thier jobs. Ruby had lots of retrieves including one with an eagle picking up and dropping a duck (Ruby didn't miss a beat and got the duck) and two really long retrieves of winged ducks that were swimming and diving. She spent most of yesterday either asleep or eating!

Attachment 64589
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I'd like to know also, don't care about specifics, but if in south central area or not is important. I have suspected TriIron is in SE area, but who knows. If he is hunting off that boat, he could be lots of places that offer no comparison to southcental where most of us hunt. Bud
    Wasilla

going to go out on a limb here and say he was hunting the sue tidal flats. as the marshes and smaller watersheds lock up...birds are going to move to the salt before they push south..rivers as well. looks like you guys are going to get some clear skies and cool temps In the next 10 days or so. birds will be moving soon, better get out there..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I sleep in my bed in south anchorage at night. We left the house at 6:22am and got back home at 5:20pm. I put about 80 miles on my boat and 120 on my truck.

thought so

I sleep in my bed in south anchorage at night. We left the house at 6:22am and got back home at 5:20pm. I put about 80 miles on my boat and 120 on my truck.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

You are wrong....I think - LOL. I had to go through a tunnel....and the weather is always S*hittier over there. I also got a 40$ parking ticket for parking by the boat ramp which is just plain WRONG IMO.

They are crazy about the parking there in the winter. Any Scoters around yet, or was it mostly Harliquins and Goldeneyes?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

LMAO...good stuff..yeah, I hate walking that 1/4 mile back to the boat..I parked there a few years ago closer to the ramp..got the same ticket..lol

You are wrong....I think - LOL. I had to go through a tunnel....and the weather is always S*hittier over there. I also got a 40$ parking ticket for parking by the boat ramp which is just plain WRONG IMO.

There were quite a few scoter. A couple flocks of 20 or 30 birds that I saw were rafted at high tide. Hard hunting where we went, tore the dogs up pretty good on the rocks.