Thread: Can't eat the horns, heck just leave them here.

Default Can't eat the horns, heck just leave them here.

Here is a nice set of Koyukuk moose horns a hunter just left with the gut pile. Granted it was 20 years ago. It's hard to imagine leaving this set lie. You can't eat the horns, and there is a fair amount of work involved hacking them off the head, and hauling them out. But these were just left behind.(gut pile was a week old when the horns were found).

Guy that found them is my Alaska mentor. Got me started moose hunting talking me on my first two moose hunts, and helping me kill my first two bulls, leaving me hopelessly addicted to Alaska moose hunting. Amazing the impact those early hunts have on young people.

I took my son this year. We traveled 40 river miles(10 of it upstream dragging canoes in shallow water).. hunt of my lifetime. Alaska is simply a paradise. Our moose from this year.. rope come along and an hour later and he was high and dry on the rock beach and cooling out nicely.. we took the horns out.. not as "evolved" as the hunter that left the above set.

Last edited by stid2677; 10-14-2012 at 15:03.

Your doing fine.

There will come a day, when after many a Hunt, you will look at the antlers before you, and very likely the hide, and realize, (first) they weigh alot, and Im tired.....(second) the'yer just another set of antlers , as fine as they are......and you will walk away with your last load and still be as happy as when You caught your first Moose.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    You can't eat the horns, and there is a fair amount of work involved hacking them off the head, and hauling them out.
    It is alot of work getting antlers off and out.....................but your wrong about the eating. Big set like you got pictured could bring 400 bucks on up. The cape can be worth another 400. Check your local taxidermist. They often buy antlers, capes, etc. Or they may sell them for you. If you really want the moola from the non edible parts of an animal...............skin the hide out in one piece and try sell it for a lifesize mount.
    I don't know about you, Anchor, but money buys food where I live. So in truth, you often can EAT the horns!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    It is alot of work getting antlers off and out.....................but your wrong about the eating. Big set like you got pictured could bring 400 bucks on up. The cape can be worth another 400. Check your local taxidermist. They often buy antlers, capes, etc. Or they may sell them for you. If you really want the moola from the non edible parts of an animal...............skin the hide out in one piece and try sell it for a lifesize mount.
    I don't know about you, Anchor, but money buys food where I live. So in truth, you often can EAT the horns!
    I thought it was illegel to sell game parts?

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post

Moose antlers NOT attached to the skull in any way are legal to sell as well as moose capes and entire skins. There are restrictions, for certain animals and parts. Most rules apply to brown and grizzly bears. PAYS, literally to know the rules.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If you really want the moola from the non edible parts of an animal...............skin the hide out in one piece and try sell it for a lifesize mount.
    Yep, we once sold two whole cow moose hides for $800 each. Apparently there were a couple of new Cabela's stores being built and they wanted cow moose in addition to bulls for their displays. It sure didn't hurt to pocket a bit of cash in addition to a freezer full of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Depends...antler is frequently sold for knife handles, pens, chandeliers- you name it. Hides are frequently sold as well for either raw material in clothing, or replacement hides for the taxidermy trade.

Inedible parts separated from trophy value are generally OK to sell, complete trophy mounts? not so much. Game meat? Not ever to my knowledge.

As Steve said- it PAYS to know the rules.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

sometimes it pays good....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yea, I don't think many would leave those horns today.. most are aware they have some value. The state has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

Wouldn't it REALLY change the hunting world if we could not keep the horns - antlers off of ANY game animals???? Wonder how long the hunting shows would last???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Personally i am not much for horns. I started out deer hunting when ANY deer kill was a reason to celebrate. We hunted with barebow recurves and had a blast. Deer kills did not happen often but when they did it was a HOOT! A spike or any buck was a real thrill. Now its all about how many points it will score. If you shoot a small deer people look down on you. Guys are paying to shoot fenced in animals an paying through the nose for a big rack. Not very sporting. People have started poaching just for the rack. Wasting all the meat and that is a true crime. Majestic animals and the thrill of the hunt has been degraded to just rack size. They are forgetting what hunting is all about. Watching the sun come up. Cooking over an open fire. Sleeping in a leaky tents with good friends. The aticipation of a shot. Following a blood trail to your animal. The great scenery. The smell of the outdoors in the fall and so on. There is SO much more to hunting than a rack. I have nothing against people who trophy hunt but lets not forget about the hunt part of trophy hunt. I feel truly sorry and i pitty the man who only has rack size to bring him joy from hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Personally i am not much for horns. I started out deer hunting when ANY deer kill was a reason to celebrate. We hunted with barebow recurves and had a blast. Deer kills did not happen often but when they did it was a HOOT! A spike or any buck was a real thrill. Now its all about how many points it will score. If you shoot a small deer people look down on you. Guys are paying to shoot fenced in animals an paying through the nose for a big rack. Not very sporting. People have started poaching just for the rack. Wasting all the meat and that is a true crime. Majestic animals and the thrill of the hunt has been degraded to just rack size. They are forgetting what hunting is all about. Watching the sun come up. Cooking over an open fire. Sleeping in a leaky tents with good friends. The aticipation of a shot. Following a blood trail to your animal. The great scenery. The smell of the outdoors in the fall and so on. There is SO much more to hunting than a rack. I have nothing against people who trophy hunt but lets not forget about the hunt part of trophy hunt. I feel truly sorry and i pitty the man who only has rack size to bring him joy from hunting.

Yea, it's hard not to get drawn into the horn game. I avoided it for 20 years.. shooting mostly spike fork moose.. but I have to admit those big sets are simply impressive.

I posted this thread cause it's an interesting turn. You hear all the time about guys taking the rack and not all the meat. Interesting to hear about it in reverse. Taking the meat and leaving the horns..

When my son and I shot our moose this year, I told him I had no intention of putting a tape measure on it as this years hunt and moose are simply my best hunt ever...cause of the time I spent with my son..

but I don't think I was home over an hour before I had measured the rack..human nature for us type A folks.. it just is what it is..

Nothing wrong with big racks! Nothing at all. I just think at times people dimish the hunt down to rack size and that is something you did not do. You have captured what hunting is all about. Time out with your son and a great animal on a great hunt. Your son will remember that trip forever and that is what its all about. WELL DONE!!

If you tally up all the potential material gain from a successful hunt.............big moose are likely at the top. More meat, pound wise, from a large bull. More money from the antlers/cape/hide.
    Personally, I think a mature bull, not too in rut, full of fat from a summer eat, provides better meat than the babies/yearlings.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!