Thread: Perenial Crops

Default Perenial Crops

Strawberries- Can you folks recommend some varieties that winter over, and any that can be strawed over and will survive, and not teeny tiny berries either?

Asparagus- Has anyone tried it, my dads has made it two years and is supposed to be pickable the third, anyone else having any luck?

Blackberries- I have heard, RUMOR, they will survive in a hoop house, any fact to back this up?

Apples- I have not tinkered with this for 15 years. My pop has some Norlands, and they're pretty good, any better suggestions, for eating apples that is?
    Last edited by mark oathout; 10-14-2012 at 09:55.

We tried asparagus a few years ago it didn't do well so it got tilled under its 3rd or 4th year. This past summer we put in a couple of dozen apple trees (can't remember which variety's) I don't know how they will do. Have you ever tried horseradish? I put some in 3 years ago the roots aren't very big but are potent.
    Chuck

Asparagus ~ Fail...
    Garlic ~ Fail...
    Both bought at Lowes or Home Depot garden center and were guaranteed to grow.
    I didn't bother returning them because it's more trouble to llook for the reciept. LoL!

Trying asparagus with plants bought online this spring.
    Garlic did fantastic; planted Music variety from Filaree Farms in early September last year, and had a bumper crop this year.
    Jerusalem artichokes did well for us.
    Horseradish was small, but the bears liked it! I'll plant some again next season.

Default artichokes

How big did they get, and how is the quality?

The Jerusalem artichokes were about the size of fingerling potatoes, and were good quality.
    I also grew Imperial Star artichokes from seed, and transplanted them. They did well; I got 3 to 4 inch artichokes from the terminal buds, and maybe 4 smaller lateral buds from each plant. Last fall I cut them back, potted them up, and put them under the house for winter. This spring I planted them back out, and they grew back and produced well again. I started more from seed, and chose the strongest to overwinter again. Imperial Star artichokes will be in my garden again for the foreseeable future, as they did so well.

The one and only time I planted horseradish (Michigan) it never needed replanting, just restrictive planting. ANY rootlets left from the harvest will grow the next spring thus the need to restrict the plant from spreading throughout a space. I put mine in a large corrugated tube, 24" Dia x 36" long. Excavate an oversized hole, put tube in, refill and plant horseradish. Tube lasted 5+ years and I trimmed back any escapees.