Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freakin in Juneau

Default Freakin in Juneau

Been out on all thawed, semi thawed streams over the last week with negative results. Anyone seen anything closely related to a fish rolling or turning or anything lately? Dont want to know your spots just looking for some hope.

By the way, for those whom have not made it out in the Juneau area, heres the scoop on the streams, rivers, etc.

Peterson Creek/Salt Chuck/Amalga - stream is clear of ice from the highway bridge to the salt chuck. Some deep crunchy snow on the banks, but it's workable. Water is super clear and getting deeper. No life showing yet but I did see some Terns circleling today. Cast a fly in just below the falls (oceanside) for dollies or steelhead with no joy.

Cowee Creek - Creek is clear of ice as far as I can see and i have a good report that its clear all the way from the bridge to well past the cabin downstream. The banks on the other hand are covered with about 200' feet of snow and snowshoes are a must for going downstream. Dont know much about upstream. No signs of life, but I have not been down to the mouth area yet.

Auke Creek - Tried fishing it last Thurs and it had a little ice on the UAS side, nothing much in the way though. Fished it because of a report of dollies showing up in the wier on the other side of the bridge. No signs of life here, but I believe we are moving in the right direction here.

Dredge Lakes area - Walked it today in hopes of some open water, but was unpleasently disappointed. No action here, but soon.

Does anyone have a report on conditions at Windfall Lake? Would love to make the hike up there but want to be productive while there.

Heres to good season. Tight lines.

fish the slat chuck and twin lakes saturday, didn't see a fish, looks like dedge will be another week or so. Lots of smolt down auke creek today, may try the mouth of lake creek tomorrow, should be some cutts around. I'd bet windfall is pretty icebound still considering dredge are. I think the "hot" place right now would be twin lakes, they outta put the stockers in soon eh?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Out in the salt: that big super-pod of orcas that follow the first run of Kings into the area was spotted yesterday just south of Grand Island, near Snettisham. I'll be dragging dead herring near the Taku river all week...

Outer/False Outer Pt. is also producing a few spring Kings from the rock...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm ready for some fish!

Thanks for the heads up on the Orcas. Will be out that way this weekend.

Fished False Outer today. Saw a pretty nice king pulled out. I guess it's getting better over there. Still find it hard to beach fish over there when I have so many other options (non-combat options) but the pieces fell just right today for me to go out there and NOT catch anything. I really have steelhead on the brain.

Heard this morning at work that there were fish jumping in Twin Lakes. Looks like it might be worth trying. At least it will be a little practice before the steelhead show up.

I am jealous up here in South Central! I am drooling bad!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Bears

When do they start their migration out of their winter habitats?

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    When do they start their migration out of their winter habitats?
    Around now,

Looks like the mouth of lake creek will be clear in a day or two. Will report when I catch something! Steelhead fishing in Yakutat 1.5 weeks away!

****, I got invited over to Yakutat but passed on it cause I did not want to combat fish. I kinda wish I had gone forward with it now though. I guess I will continue to put my 4-5 hours every off-duty day in at Peterson/Cowee creeks until the steelies show there sweet little faces to my fly. Good luck over there.

Saw 2 kings (or maybe one jumping twice... MAN they can move fast!) jumping in Gastineau Channel just yesterday.... all the way up by the bridge.

Going whale-watching tomorrow to look for them Orcas.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    ****, I got invited over to Yakutat but passed on it cause I did not want to combat fish. I kinda wish I had gone forward with it now though. I guess I will continue to put my 4-5 hours every off-duty day in at Peterson/Cowee creeks until the steelies show there sweet little faces to my fly. Good luck over there.
    let me know when you see one in Peterson, I got a friend coming up who's never caught a steely. And in Alaska there is no combat fishing for those who walk (I don't even not have enough room to fish at the russian!)

Default Not so much as a bubble

Haven't been to Windfall, but guessing from the snow at my place at Tee you will still need snowshoes up there. Probably still frozen. Super high water at Peterson right now and they put in a weir. 2 days ago they said they've seen nothing. Will be checking again this weekend for sure.

Silver Surfer,

Thanks for the update. I will be out around the Peterson area tomorrow for most of the day hoping this rain and high water has stirred some life into that creek. May even make the hike down stream at Cowee. I am feeling the steelhead this weekend. I think I will load some Creedence into the IPOD and cast away.

No joy at Peterson today. Will definitly be trying again tomorrow. May even get the snowshoes and head out to the mouth of Cowee. Anyone else going out tomorrow or Sunday? I think I will fish the creek in the AM and then troll for the afternoon on the breadline.

caught a 16 inch cutthroat in the mendenhall today, fish big water, catch big fish.

Sweet. Sounds like dinner to me. Other than the 32 fish a friend of mine pulled out of twin lakes (he said they were little kings) thats the best **** news I have heard all day (firend of mine broke the tip off my Sage this morning getting into my truck, I almost threw-up). Were you around the Dredge Lakes cut out?

Thanks for the update.

Erich

Yes I was, by dredge lakes, I think there sould be quite a few at the mouth of montana with the amount of pinks and chums that spawn in it might try there tomorrow. How do you catch the little suckers in twin lakes?

Knowing this guy that pulled them out of Twin Lakes, he probably uses a pink pixie. I have not been over there yet, I have a stigma against fishing where I can still see traffic (maybe it's just me). Montana Creek sounds prime for something right now, I have not heard any reports from over there yet, but it's still worth the walk I guess.

Trolled the Breadline today for about 7 hours. No luck. Anyone else out there today? I saw something jump in and around the Huffman Harbor area although I never did see what they were, saw silver though. Giant bait balls showing up on the fishfinder. Did they release those fry from the Amalga fish farm yet?

AKPM, did you go to Montana Creek today? I thought about heading over there after I cleaned up the boat, but I just went home (I suck). I think tomorrow will be another early morning, but to the creeks instead of the open water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast