Thread: side by side 4 wheelers

Default side by side 4 wheelers

I have been interested in a side by side 4 wheeler. I am not looking for 6 wheels just 4 wheels 4x4, comfortable to take the wife for a drive on trails to get away. What are your best choices?

Thanks,

George

George I was in your position not too long ago. I looked at them all and I admittedly am far from an expert but ended up with a polaris ranger(4 wheels) my wife seemed to like the ride of it better then the others.. I could be wrong but to me it seemed more stable(wider), I really liked the bench seat for putting a car seat in or just buckeling in my 3 year old. We use it around the house for brush clearing and such and it is an amazing machine the dump bed is awesome. Pretty simple for my wife to operate. I was reluctant in not having the option of a 4wd locker like on yamaha or cat but the 4wd on my polaris works pretty darn good.My wife takes the kids out on the trails quite often and really loves it.. also it can handle carrying or towing just about anything I have thrown at it so far....
    Dave

If you look at Polaris Rangers be aware that there are two different sizes. Midsize and full size. The bigger chassis is definitely wider, most noticeable to me in the seating. I'm not a brand loyal guy but I seem to wind up with Polaris wheelers. You should go try a few on for size to see what you like.

I like the rangers. Have 2 crews and a 4 seat ranger, plus a 6X6 ranger. For comfort on our tours (and for my wife..), the crews have full soft cabs with a heater. No matter what brand, I suggest getting the roof and cab. Makes a world of difference. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the hard cabs, but caution on doing a glass windshield. I put in plexiglass and just replace them every 3 or 4 years. I can't keep glass in, and after 3 laps full of safety glass, plus $500, went plexi for $200.

The Crew's are not that much more than the regular ranger's, but you gain a ton of room inside, and we put 6 people in them comfortably, or a moose camp that includes a kitchen sink... almost!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

And don't overlook the Razrs. Lower seating, less utility minded and more sport oriented, better suspension, faster. Buckets of fun if a zoom-zoom toy is what you're looking for. Guys plow and hunt with them, too. Nice machines!

Pid, agreed! My 4 seater Razor I bought rides like a dream! And I took it moose hunting a good number of times. I had the hard top and windshield put on it, and total, new out the door was $14,800. Still a lot chillier than the crew's with the full cab, but a really nice ride. Never had it over 20mph, but it sure rode the trails nice. Best part was the tires stuck out beyond the cab, so I wasn't rubbing the cab in the ruts like I do with the Crew.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

We looked long an hard at side by sides for my wife and I. I list my wife first as its her machine we were shopping for all though she likes me to drive while she takes in the scenery. There is alot to be said for sitting side by side to the one you love while taking a drive in Gods Country. We looked and test drove Polaris Rangers, Yamaha Rhinos, and Arctic Cat Prowlers. We decided on the Ranger XP Limited Edition for many reasons, (comfort, payload, clearance, best bang for our buck and she liked the color red and pretty upgrades, LOL). We added a real windshield, hard top, dual battery (peice of mind) and switch as well as a 2 inch front reciever and winch that we could use both in the front or back. Best 13 Grand we ever spent. There is alot to be said for comfort and when you hit the trail on a cold crisp morning together and you are out of the wind, rain while sitting on a nice warm engine that keeps your butt warm while sipping on a coffee and be able to carry on a conversation without shouting, its a great thing. Bring along a small stove (nothing like a warm lunch or fresh coffee) and tarp as well as food and anything else she wants to bring since you can literally take along the kitchen sink to keep her happy. The tarp is to drape over your hard top and bed. Bungie it down over the cab, and put up a few poles on the back and tie it off so you can stay out of the rain while using your bed like cooking lunch on the tailgate, glass or what ever while your taking a break or hunting. Life is good and momma's happy. And keeping momma happy is the goal, right!

The Ranger is also one heck of a work horse. We use it around the house alot as well as hunting and trail riding.

Hope you guys have many good times together no matter what you decide on.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Congrats on your new ride...I am not brand loyal either but will say whatever one you buy, make sure you check the service department quality and reputation... all off road machines will have reoccurring MX issues, and a dependable shop with outstanding customer service is what makes me go with one brand over the other...To be able to look the mechanic/service manager in the eye and when he says its fixed its fixed!!!

Awesome reviews, thanks. I am surprised that no one mentioned even testing the Honda, is there any Honda fans out there or any info on them?

Thanks,

George

Honda used to be the only machine worth their salt. And I think they're motors are still great. However as a company, or at least their utility powersports division, has not kept up with the innovations of the other companies. Yamaha, Can-Am, and Polaris have done more pioneering of late, leaving the Rubicons and Foremans more for the Farm/Ranch sector.

And as such, no one is really looking at the Big Red for a side by side since they've given up credibility by no innovating.

Don't get be wrong - Honda's are great, but you'll be harder pressed to find diff lock, IRS, Engine Braking, Long suspension travel, etc, on the Honda utility bikes. Hopefully they change that soon. The Rincon is the closest one, but it falls on its face next to a 700 Grizz. And you'll be riding your brakes down every hill!!

My best choice was the Yamaha rhino 450, simply because I got a really good deal on it(used fixer upper) and so far it has been a very tough reliable machine. I put probably 300 miles on it this fall riding and hunting and it has been relatively problem free other than a belt going out on me, which was partially my fault. Hauled 650 lbs of moose and gear in the bed of it thru 20 miles of trail and it handled that great. The 450cc engine sips the gas, burns hardly anymore than my Rancher 350 did(which I sold after riding the rhino). Has tons of low end power as they are geared low. Only thing with these side by sides is once you get them stuck it sucks! Best to have a partner with another rig or have a good solid earth anchor for the bogs or a solid tree and a strong winch, and maybe some boards or something to put under the tires. Fun machines though! Sure is nice to have a roof and windshield to stay out of the elements and the engine puts off a little heat in the cab. I use mine all year long, works great to plow the yard, check the mailbox, do yardwork, pulling trees etc..

Everyone will have their personal favorites. We have a 2010 Prowler and are impressed so far.
    I highly recommend getting a cab kit. Soft side kits are more affordable and worth every penny. The full windshield can be a pain when it rains but rain X helps and I would not go without it. The roof and back window are great for keeping the dust from filling up the cab. We have the doors but they are a pain during the summer months but they will be appreciated in the winter because it keeps the engine heat in. Whatever you do an extended warranty is a good idea.

Great comments, can't get better than actual experience from Alaskan users.

George