Thread: What's my address?

Default What's my address?

I have built a cabin in rural Alaska. Near Healy. Now I want to know my address, what numbers to put on my mailbox? How do I find it? Flag down a US Postal Service employee?

In Valdez the numbers were assigned by the City as I live in the City of Valdez even though I am 10 miles away. So finding who has jurisdiction in the area might be my first step. I think it is the towns responsibility to locate your address after the start of the 911 system being in place.

I know a few years back my house number was changed because someone goofed on the original numbering and I was notified by the city.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Nikster, you have to call the post office, probably in Healy, let them know where your at, and they will tell you. We had to do it for our place. So the lodge is in the far corner of the Matsu, but our post office is in the Denali, in Cantwell. Our voting spot is Sheep Mountain... talk about a cluster! lol. Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

The Bourough just sent me a letter 5 years after I purchased my property and changed my address, said it had to do with emergency services response. So I bought the old address property, right next door, and then I could keep my address, I know it sounds strange. So I would say ask emergency services in the area or the Borough assessor.

Thamks for the help so far, do you suppose I hang a box out on the highway or closer to the house? The place is about 1.25 miles in you gotta cross a small creek about 90% of the way there. I don't expect much mail but the junk needs to go somewhere, right?

You need to contact the post office in Healy. They will let you know if there is even a highway contract that services your location. If so, you may be required to add a box to another cluster of boxes closest to your property. They don't usually just allow a box at the end of every road. In most rural Alaskan towns you have two choices; mailbox off the highway, or post office box in the post office. No house service. If you don't check it every day, I would highly suggest getting a post office box.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sounds like I need to call the Post office. I'll then do as they direct. I am excited to establish a house in Alaska!!!! I travel on business and own a house in Idaho that I rent out. I'd like to have a place in Alaska I can use in the summer and early fall then head south for the winter!! I gotta call some place home, right??