Thread: Indy Lite GT 340 Good,Bad or Ugly

Default Indy Lite GT 340 Good,Bad or Ugly

Anybody have any thoughts on these ? Good, Bad or Ugly ? Could not pass up the deal I got .Was looking for an extra machine for the family coming up this christmas. Found 2 1995 Indy Lite GT 2 up in mint condition 400 miles one 1 and 500 on the other brand new tilt trailer and 2 pull sleds $2800
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

That is a great deal! They were not built particularly strong (flimsy cowlings and other covers), but they do the job if you treat them well.

Frickin' horrible machines. Drop them off at my house and my kids will dispose of them properly
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That is a great deal! They were not built particularly strong (flimsy cowlings and other covers), but they do the job if you treat them well.
    You have 1? I need to ask a rear shock question

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Frickin' horrible machines. Drop them off at my house and my kids will dispose of them properly
    On my way over , As soon as they move this car in the yard :P

I had two in the late 90s. One GT and one regular. I used them for everything including hauling wood and caribou. I traded the GT in on a Skidumb 503 Skandic, which turned out to be a pos. I regretted getting rid of the IL. But stay away from impacts, those injection molded cowlings are fragile. Don't know much about the shocks, as I never did anything with mine other than an adjustment.

I bought one for $200 a couple years ago and have beat the snot out of it with few problems. The 340 motor is bulletproof, but the track needs some deeper lugs ( I swapped it out for a 136"x1.25") and the tub likes to break. In fact I just swapped the tub out with a parts machine and am letting my g/f have it.

btw, mine would still hit 55mph on packed straight trails, so keep an eye on your kids lol

Yea, get rid of them...................I'll give ya 2000 for the 2. Haha!
    The kids will tear them up if given the chance. Good machines otherwise.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Kids are going to be here only 2 weeks Just wondering would the rear shocks go bad just sitting in closed storage since 1996 LOL!! Only started a few times a year. The rear shocks on both seem to be week like after I sit on it the shock will only come back up half way? Maybe new shocks or I was reading the manual and it says to adjust the springs in the rear. Just wondering if shocks go bad sitting idle for 16 years Before I start messing with other stuff

Correct me if I'm wrong here.....it's been a while since I messed with my '96 GT Lite. If I remember correctly, the rear shock is mainly for dampening the ride, to stiffen up the rear suspension I adjusted the rear spring (one side connects to an eye bolt that you can tighten up). It helped with the saggy rear. It took a bit of searching but I also was able to find a set of new springs that I haven't installed yet.

Springs control height. Shocks control rate. That a 15 year old sled might have weak springs is easy to believe but I'd check the ride height settings before I did anything else. You don't want the suspension to be fully extended anyway. Especially with a rider seated on the sled.

My family had a Lite GT for a few years. It was a good sled. The cowl wasn't up to the snow sliding off the roof onto it but it was simple to repair. The biggest thing I remember was that the 340 wasn't the easiest engine to start. That limited what my kid could/would do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Springs control height. Shocks control rate. That a 15 year old sled might have weak springs is easy to believe but I'd check the ride height settings before I did anything else.The biggest thing I remember was that the 340 wasn't the easiest engine to start. That limited what my kid could/would do with it.
    Agree with Pid. Springs might be weak. If the kids are light, under 100 pounds might be OK. I have owned 2 340s. Seemed easy enough to start. Harder in below 0 cold. Put a primer on the first one I owned. That helped with the cold temp starting.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Kids are going to be here only 2 weeks Just wondering would the rear shocks go bad just sitting in closed storage since 1996 LOL!! Only started a few times a year. The rear shocks on both seem to be week like after I sit on it the shock will only come back up half way? Maybe new shocks or I was reading the manual and it says to adjust the springs in the rear. Just wondering if shocks go bad sitting idle for 16 years Before I start messing with other stuff
    answer is YES... the shocks will fade over years of non use just as they will with regular use. they are an Oil shock and the seals all eat up with time...

when i had my sled shop, the Indy was a mainstay of my business,. the lites were good machines requiring minimal regular maint, compared to some of its larger family members, the air cooled are tough little motors, and are simple to work on. short of rider error, they'll do you well for a long time...

sitting that long, i would consider, chain case and sprocket bearings swapped out this winter also... don't forget to drain and refill the chain case. and take a GOOD look at the chain case seal...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks!! It all sounds good will check it out when it stops snowing Snow today then sun for a few days