Thread: Your thoughts ?

Default Your thoughts ?

With the adult sow Brown Bears taken so far, what do you think will happen to the Boars next breeding season? Will there be more DLP's because of wandering Boars?

I doubt it. I think the boars mating is triggered by smell of sows in estrus.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    With the adult sow Brown Bears taken so far, what do you think will happen to the Boars next breeding season? Will there be more DLP's because of wandering Boars?
    Roland of coures this is just my opinion from my observations but I honestly do not think the sows taken will even put a dent in it on the Kenai. seems that the harvest was pretty spread out. Some of the problem areas i feel are still going to be a problem, just ask the folks in the keys or around smiling rock and places like that...even right in the city of Kenai say around tide waters of the river.. These are some of the areas I would of personally liked to see some bears taken from but you have to be an ace on the regs to figure out what you can and cant do... sorry got a little of track here. Ther are plenty of sows still around for those boars I am sure.. One thing for sure it was a pretty good start.. and A big kudos to Jeff Sellinger on this hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Unless a hot sow wonders through a bunch of homes, I highly doubt that boars would come wandering around homes to look for sows.

Unless I'm mistaken the majority of DLP bears shot are young adults and sows. The ones that aren't quite big enough or in the sow's case worried about their cubs to feed in the best areas, and are forced to areas around homes to look for food.

The same thing as Bear said, the quota of reproductive sows on the Kenai was a conservative limit, and will hopefully get raised as better information comes out regarding population numbers. Shooting less than 10 reproductive sows has actually increased the numbers of bears on the KP, almost everyone that is reasonable will admit the population has at least doubled over the last 20 years.

Some of the numbers from the collared moose on the KP so far, I've heard that at least 5 adult cows this summer were brought down by brown bears, and some in 15A were killed but the exact predator or cause of death wasn't identified because of thick vegetation and problems landing with the majority of the land being on the KNWR. Then the Clarion printed that 40 percent of moose calves in 15C were killed by brown bear. Then let's remember the study that was quoted several times last year back in the late 70's and early 80's on the Kenai that showed black bear killed 34 percent of calves and brown bear 2 percent. So obviously the brown bear population has increased substantially for those numbers to change the way they have.

It could lead to a higher take of spring boars.

Certainly, mature boars know from memory that spring means mating. With a dozen or so females out of the breeding pool some boars may be more active in search of receptive sows. More activity = more exposure, could lead to higher hunter success. Now if the sows taken during the registration hunt were fairly well spread out then the effect would be less but if 2 or 3 were taken from a particular drainage or general area then this could apply.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Personally with such a low amount killed, I doubt it will make a da*n bit of difference. But I ain't complaining......especially now that they are opening the season again on the 25th, which to me was GREAT news...!!!

I just hope more guys will take advantage of it.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My guess would be that like any game species there will be other females move in to vacated turf. There should be a number of young sows in spring that leave mommas side looking for their own home area and should replace the ones that were taken...?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....