Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK

Default Walther PPK

i was given a Walther PPK and am looking for some history in regards to this model. It has the following markings: Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thur) Cal 7.62 m/m. The hand grips are brown with black swirls with a Walther banner/flag.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but I would bet that you have a 1931-45 (probably Nazi-era) Walther. http://www.gunclassics.com/ppk.html

In short, you have a bad-guy gun.

Yep, definitely Nazi: “Walther’s original factory was located in Zella-Mehlis in the state (Land) of Thuringia. As that part of Germany was occupied by the Soviet Union following World War II, Walther was forced to flee to West Germany, where they established a new factory in Ulm.” http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...46#post1188946

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I'm no expert, but I would bet that you have a 1931-45 (probably Nazi-era) Walther. http://www.gunclassics.com/ppk.html

Bad-guy gun because it was a Nazi era gun??

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post

thanks, the pic at the link looks exactly like it.

Its a keeper for sure,congrats someone loves you
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My Mom gave it to me, it was my Dad's gun. You are right, lot's of love there.

Nazi-era manufacture doesn't necessarily equate to a nazi weapon. Most of those were marked as such. There's a war era PPK in my family too (as well as a few of more recent Interarms manufacture. It's a very well engineered and manufactured pistol that I think is a joy to carry and shoot.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Nazi-era manufacture doesn't necessarily equate to a nazi weapon. Most of those were marked as such. There's a war era PPK in my family too (as well as a few of more recent Interarms manufacture. It's a very well engineered and manufactured pistol that I think is a joy to carry and shoot.
    I had a Walther (PP?) in 7.62 (.32ACP) from early in the same era and it was Nazi marked...quite probably a WWII "bring back". It was a very well made piece and shot surprisingly well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I had a Walther (PP?) in 7.62 (.32ACP) from early in the same era and it was Nazi marked...quite probably a WWII "bring back". It was a very well made piece and shot surprisingly well.
    I've been shooting it and it is a nice little pistol. But I haven't felt like James Bond, yet!

Probably more the Agent 86 type anyway
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Probably more the Agent 86 type anyway
    Come on Will, Get Smart!

There are 99 reasons to do so

Are you talking in your shoe again?

The mid-late '30s were a time of prosperity in Germany and they made many fine weapons for the civilian population as well as military weapons under contract to other countries. My .40 / .338 wildcat is built on a '98 made for Portugale while my 1936 Merkle drilling was made for the civilian market. Both show very fine attention to detail; the Merkle drilling is as finely made as any gun I've ever seen.

I've got a 1967 PPK in .380/9mm Kirtz; this thread reminded me I've got to go out and shoot it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I remember the classic lines from the first James Bond movie, when they took away his Beretta and issued him his Waltehr PPK in 7.62mm...
    '"Stopping power like a brick through a plate glass window." Even as a grade school kid I about rolled over laughing...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I believe the metric designation should be 7.65m/m. .32ACP goes by aka 7.65 Browning in Europe.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I believe the metric designation should be 7.65m/m. .32ACP goes by aka 7.65 Browning in Europe.
    You're right, I had to read the small print again on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I've been shooting it and it is a nice little pistol. But I haven't felt like James Bond, yet!
    Shooting the Walther never made me feel like Bond, it was all the gratuitous sex did that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default .380

Even though the .32s PPKs are far more common James carried a .380 / 9mm Kurtz. After they stopped importing them in 68 the .380 PPKs were quite popular of many years; they even made the stainless ones in the USA later.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I remember the classic lines from the first James Bond movie, when they took away his Beretta and issued him his Waltehr PPK in 7.62mm...

'"Stopping power like a brick through a plate glass window." Even as a grade school kid I about rolled over laughing...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast