Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders?

Default Waders?

Last weekend I was wearing my Hodgeman breathable waders when I went out duck hunting. All was well as I was walking in for the few miles that I have to walk to get to my pond, then Igot my decoys set up, and shot a pintail! As I walked over to get it, I noticed my leg was getting a cold sensation trickling down. I knew what that means, however it was getting cold really fast. I got into some shallower water and found a hole about the size of a quarter ripped in the leg. DARN! As the day progressed I noticed more and more leaks happening, followed by the zipper failing on me as I was about to walk out. By the time I got back to my truck the waders had 5 holes and a broken zipper. And this is only the second season I have used them!

Needless to say I will NEVER buy hodgeman waders again. I am looking for a replacement pair, I was checking out the Macks PW All season breathables Does anybody have any experience with the Macks waders? Anybody have any recommendations for a new pair?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Waders?

Cabelas 5mm stockingfoot late season. Simms zippered waders (my fishing waders) early season.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I have a really nice set of Hodgeman 5mm....uh oh! Hopefully these don't fail on me as well.

Default Waders?

Get a pair of Simms, guide series. If you like waders with the boot in them Simms will make you a pair with Mucks incorporated. I have had mine for 4 years with no issues...and I am hard on stuff.

Does simms make them in camo?

Im going to need a new pair as well seeing as how I was looking for mine to put them on the boot dryer and realized I forgot them at the Fing boat launch.

Default Waders?

No camo but part dull grey and part light brown. Nice waders, very reputable company and good warranty but $$. simms.com take a look.

simms does not make a wader with muck boots anymore. just called them about it last week. they are currently looking for a company to supply boots for them. its a shame because ive had mine for 2 years and they are great. i hate to say this as i pay the electric bill for macks at least for a month every year but dont buy the light weight from them we went thru about 7 returns from our gang. no quality control in china i guess? you can call macks and talk to the wader guru in person if you want. i did. dont know if anything change this year or not. i gave up on them and went with the g4.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat103895280

Early season I like to go with just some light breathable thin fishing waders with neopreme socks and some old boots..later on when it gets cold I only use min of 1200 insulation. These look nice and will probably get them for next year. I have two older 1200 with some holes I patched up with aqua seal and I swear by that stuff for neopreme waders. Best stuff for patching large and small holes. Dry them out, put on both sides and clamp with medium pressure to secure. never had the same hole open up again...just make different ones..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Wow, those G4's are spendy! $600 is a little too much to spend on a set of waders. Looking for something a little more in the $200 range.

Go for the Cabelas waders... Not my first choice because the Simms waders are the best I've owned. Ive been looking for a new pair of waders but I'll probably wait till next spring. I love the Simms waders and they are far superior to all other waders... but they cost an arm and a leg. They have a warranty and you can send them in for repairs but they sure are pricey. DS56, I recommend the cabelas waders because they are in your stated price range and we will soon have a cabelas store here (2014). Cabelas' customer service is top notch so when the cabelas waders start leaking, take em back.

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Im going to get these for the rest of the season...
    http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MPW112S

DS56, these waders below should suit your needs..
    http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MPW412S

Talkin trash over there huh?! We'll see who is laughing when you try to kill something with those shotshells that I switched out while you weren't looking.

I just wear neopreme all season along, don't do much hiking with them, usually just to the boat and back, the ones i have now i bought late season last year at sportsmans, don't recall the name, but very heavy warm neopreme for about $250. like them very much so far, I'm sure if i was doing a lot of hiking in like u guys do, i would use lighter weight, at least in early season, but no need for me. actually if i was to do it again, i would get some from cabelas with the front zipper, convienance would be nice. Bud
    Wasilla

Default Waders?

What size you wear? I have a pair from Sportsmans collecting dust if you need them to get back out doin yer thing. XL tall I think.

Seriously high, if you spend a lot of time in waders I'd buy the best you an afford. I slogged in some serious nastiness this fall, crawled in the rocks and played in beaver lodges moving sweepers and not a scratch on my Simms G4s.

Neoprene can keep you warm, but after a while you develop that itchy neoprene butt, none too comfy.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

600 divided by six years = 100 bucks a year. staying dry and comfortable = priceless

The math still works out with the $200 pair. 1 $200 set lasted me two seasons so 6 years would be 3 waders and still cost $600, and I can get them in camo! But seriously $600 is too much to drop on a set of waders at one time for me. I have no problem dropping that on a tent, or pack, but not a pair of waders. I may not be doing the hikes in next year anyway if the ATV trail is open again. I just don't see a need for $600 waders for a short hike or for sitting in a boat all day.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What size you wear? I have a pair from Sportsmans collecting dust if you need them to get back out doin yer thing. XL tall I think.

Seriously high, if you spend a lot of time in waders I'd buy the best you an afford. I slogged in some serious nastiness this fall, crawled in the rocks and played in beaver lodges moving sweepers and not a scratch on my Simms G4s.

Neoprene can keep you warm, but after a while you develop that itchy neoprene butt, none too comfy.
    I appreciate the offer, but this is probably going to be the last weekend for me. I am heading down to Kodiak for two weeks next weekend, so the birds are going to be long gone by the time I get back. I still have a set of 5mm for hunting sea ducks. I still have a set of 3mm neoprenes with one leaky foot. I spent $89 on those and they have lasted me 6 years, and now finally sprung a leak last weekend, I will just wear my glacier socks with them.

Some of the best waders I ever owned were Hodgman. Bought them before I joined the military in 1998 and had them for about ten years, no kidding. They weren't the warmest as I bought them for Texas hunting, however used them for about six or seven years in Northern CA. Needless to say the croth finally blew out of them and a replacement pair was in the future. Went with a pair of Winchesters because that was all that the local sporting goods store carried. I love Cabela's and their products but would not go with their waders. Biggest problem I've found with waders today is finding the pair that fits perfectly from top to bottom, side to side.

I have a pair of redhead bone dry that I have had for about 4 seasons that are nice. I probably should have worn those instead of my Mack's Grand Prairie 1200 neo waders the other day when I went out with AK Marine and ended up completely soaked from sweat. I had a blast though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast