Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highways have ice

Default Highways have ice

Saw on the news tonight that a pickup was into the gaurd rail and the glass boat siting on the pavement!

Is this this the offical end of the season for us trailer guy's?

It is for the guy on the news !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Looking at the photo, I didn't see a rear tie-down anywhere. It could have just been out of the picture, but likely wasn't being used. Probably one of those cases that it could have helped to keep the boat attached to the trailer rather than beside it.

hey that's my kicker!

Wonder if it just came off trailer. Does appear to have been tied down on the back end otherwise it would still be on trailer I would think.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Looking closer, it does look like there may have been a rear tie down. Either way, they may or may not save you, but they sure can't hurt.

Couple weeks back it was dang slick from Turnagain all the way through Moose Pass. we saw 4 rollovers on the way to Seward that morning. It may just look wet but in AK you never know til you brake check. Be safe out there guys.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I just came back from Kenai. There was 2-3 inches of snow on the highway from the top of Turnagain to Portage, when I got closer to Anchorage it dried out and there were a couple of 24+ glass boats headed south. I was thinking that they were not going to have a good tow home...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Just below the right side tail light looks like a tie down hanging there. There also appears to be one laying on the left rear corner of the boat.

I purchest a 20 FT alumn. boat motor, an trailer from a dealer near keni in 2000 [ a all new rig ] an they were telling me not to use a rear tie down [ did not beleive them ] went down the street a got one an have not been back to that dealer in 12 year's some one else could own the dealer ship now , [ I don't know ] but a bad tast in mouth

DSCF9042.jpgDSCF9046.jpg

Here was a couple of pictures from driving back from the Kenai this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    DSCF9042.jpgDSCF9046.jpg

Pretty crazy how close our pics are

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    DSCF9042.jpgDSCF9046.jpg

Pretty crazy how close our pics are
    I wonder if the guy who wrecked his boat was taking pictures with his cell phone, instead of maintaining control of his vehicle?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I went through the passes about 9 tonight. Raining like mad. No snow though...Roads wet of course. Did not get slick untill I was climbing the hill at the Dearmon. Bad wreck on the bridge at Omally. It will be one slick SOB for anyone going south in the AM
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I wond er if the guy who wrecked his boat was taking pictures with his cell phone, instead of maintaining control of his vehicle?
    Mine was actually taken from the passenger with a digital camera.But yes, you should really pay attention with the roads if you are out this morning. I

Mine was actually taken from the passenger with a digital camera.But yes, you should really pay attention with the roads if you are out this morning. I
    Lol if u pay attention the pics are both taken from the passenger side

I was out between Sterling and Cooper Landing on Friday.
    There were at least 2 rollovers and a couple vehicles on their sides and a few more in the ditch.
    One was a rolled over SUV towing a horse trailer. The SUV was on its roof and the trailer on its side. He did have the horses out tied to trees and they looked OK but i was trying to focus on my driving. Another one was an enclosed trailer on its side as well as the Suv towing it.
    While headed up it was incredibly foggy and I soon realized it was icefog with blackice on the road.
    I slowed down to 35mph drove carefully and made it through fine.
    On my way back from hunting was when I saw all the wreckage. The Refuge people were there at each end of the accident zone with all their lights flashing warning people.
    Just before I got out of the black ice the state sanding truck came through and was laying down a good thick coating.
    I got passed just before I hit the fog even though I was going 55 at the time. I was suprised not to see the guy who passed me in the ditch.
    I think if most of these people had slowed down and driven more carefully as I had there would not have been so many accidents.
    On the positive side I did manage to bag 4 spruce hen.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Just below the right side tail light looks like a tie down hanging there. There also appears to be one laying on the left rear corner of the boat.
    I figured that's what those were too. I'd assume most everyone uses tie downs on trips of any distance whatsoever... but if a boat that big starts getting whipped around, it's gonna go where it wants to and those straps are officially an afterthought. That said, I always use em, but when the poo really hits the fan, nothing short of chain is going to hold a 4000-6000 pound boat on a trailer.

In general I look at it the other way around. Not holding the very heavy boat to the trailer but rather the fairly light trailer to the boat.

Personally I don't have a big monster boat but I do strap my river runner over the transom for safety and because my manufacturer instructed me to do so to prevent banging the hull on the bunks on bumpy roads potentially causing stress cracks and damaging welds. It's pretty cheap to do so and I can't come up with one single good reason not to do it.

Well, we had a pretty good dusting here (Biglake/Houstan) this morning around 6-7:30. Not much but enough to make every thing white. Winter is coming, best to get them studs put on.
    Last edited by AllAlaskan; 10-15-2012 at 12:20. Reason: Forgot something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast