Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to tip? FISHING ONLY!!!

Default How much to tip? FISHING ONLY!!!

The other thread that is on this BBS got a bit personal. The thread showed me some things that should be cleared up.. One thing is that people don't really know how much to tip a guide.. I got a ways down the list, and sounds like shotgunning answers.. BUT, I AM NOT GOING FOR BEAR, ELK, Etc...

I am on my way to Alaska to do some fishing for salmon and halibut.
    Three basic ways to get the fish 1) Charters, 2)Road System, 3)ATV Rides,, and one more A flyout...(could use help in figuring this out as I am trying to get one scheduled during my stay)

Most guides, for the island I am looking at, are in the $200 to $275 range.. From road system truck rides, to halibut off a boat. As far as I can tell these all are about 8 hours. So, what are the guidelines for these types of charters, or guide services?? I am not staying at a B&B, or bunk house with these guides/captains. Their services are AlaCarte, if you will, chosen through word of mouth, or one of AA's books on fishing Alaska.

What can a fisherman from the lower 48 be expected to pay, in "tips" to the captain/gude, and any crew/assistants for the day's event. Let's just say, for example, we got out/in and caught some fish. We were satisfied with the catch, tired, and ready to call it a day.

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT??? Nobody wants to get a rep for being cheap, nor do they want to go broke trying to be fair. I am trying to figure out how much cash to bring, or have available through ATM... THESE FIGURES HAVE TO BE ACCOUNTED, AND BUDGETED....

Your thoughtful input is appreciated.

guide tips range quite a bit. i've received tips from $5 to $500!!! the guide doesn't expect you to break the bank in order to provide a good tip, so don't worry about offending the guide or anything...they understand finances and budgeting like anyone else. I would say an average tip would be about $20 per angler, but a little more or less isn't a big deal... and don't worry about it too much - enjoy your trips.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Tipping

I've mentioned this many times and I totally believe in what I am saying:

The absolutely best tip that you can give to a guide is a reservation or deposit for your next trip. I would much rather have a guest compliment me and my efforts through repeat or referred business than $20 or even $100. Don't get me wrong, the money in hand is great and a blessing, however I would much rather build an enduring friendship/business relationship.

The bottom line, tip as you feel led. If you feel that the tip you are giving is obligatory, then something is wrong!!! So, bless you guide/captain in a way that makes YOU feel good and you don't have any second thoughts, such as was it enough or was it too much...

I agree with the last writer. I've gotten $10.00 to $200.00 per person. But I want the person to have a great time regardless of his budget and I am going to treat them great either way. If they use a deckhand, that deckhand is a little more dependent on the tip. I feel, at least on my boat that deckhands shouldn't have to split the tip they get. I will split any given to me though.
    $20.00 is a safe amount.

10% of the trip cost around $20.00 is safe I like the others have gotten tips ranging from $5 to $200 but knowing you had fun and a repeat visit are the best tips of all. Most guides are in it as much for love of the sport and seeing peoples faces light up as the money.

Rick P

Default Tips........

Don't forget the reason behind a tip though. If you only get mediocre service, don't bother! Tips originated as a bonus for those providing the service who go above and beyond what is expected. I figure when I pay for the service, I am already paying for "good" service. If the provider expects a tip for "good" service, I believe they are asking too much. If a provider wants a tip, make it a memorable trip and not just an average experience that could be had with any 'ol guide.

It drives me nuts that tips are "expected" and you are looked down upon if you don't give generously.

Just my $.02
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Agreed AK Mud I'm notorious for not tipping bar tenders, if it takes me 10 minutes to order a beer and no ones standing at the bar but me, no tippy.

My wife got kinda irate with me once for tipping a really bad waitress $0.01

IMO, i think that the $275 or whatever the cost of the charter mainly goes for gas and other operating expenses. The guides do make a fair amount off it, but i think as long as your guide isn't a total jerk, tip him as much as you can....
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-23-2007 at 23:08. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by Joefishin View Post

I am on my way to Alaska to do some fishing for salmon and halibut.
    Three basic ways to get the fish 1) Charters, 2)Road System, 3)ATV Rides,, and one more A flyout...

1) Tip the deckhand 50 bucks, don't tip the captain, if no deckhand tip the captain 25ish 2) Round up to the nearest $50 like if a trip cost 225 pay 250 etc. 3) No clue, never heard of ATV guides for fishing, a flyout, tip the guide $75-$100 and tip the dock boys (they load your bags into the plane) $25

Make sure to tip the little guy they usually get paid very little and make most of their money in tips.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I think you can liken it to tipping in a restaurant...15% being base, and it varies from there. A buddy and I took a muskie charter on Lake Vermilion in MN, and we didn't catch anything (we moved two fish), but man did that guy try. He even stayed out an extra hour or so, hitting some spots on the way back. He got a good tip, though not giant cuz we were no Trumps.

By the way, if you guys go there, get Muskie Tom...he's fished the lake for 25 or more years, and is a great guy. You should see all the scars around his shoulders from clients hooking him with big pike/muskie lures.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default The friendly press...

I always seek out the key person responsible for handling me during my activity and give half the amount upon the very start. That slight whisper of "take care me" delivered ahead of time makes a world of difference. I pay the balance upon completion. Amounts vary, but it ususally in the 15-20% range.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Knowledge, Gear quality and experience

I take it your coming over to Kodiak, you will have a great time. There is so much to consider when it comes to Guide services. I personally am with some of the other guys that repeat business and a smaller tip is more appreciated.

If you get someone that has gear that is not well maintained, bikes not in running order, boat that is a mess, has you ride double (illegal) on a ATV, rusty reels you name it. Your paying for not only the experience but also the gear your renting.

Don't always judge the tip by how much fish you catch but the over all experience. I don't think you will have any of these problems because Kodiak is pretty small and if you don't run a good operation you usually don't get referral's.

Hope this helps.

Shawn Gornall
    www.ultimateislandadventures.com

Default same here

Pretty much what everyone else said repeat/ referral buisiness is the best reward, a tip is nice and very appreciated, but don't tip so much it hurts, let your trip quality decide, just like a waitress tip for what you get. If you can't afford a tip most guides will understand and greatfully except your heartfelt thanks. Just don't forget the little guys, the assistant guides, and deckhands make very little and a tip is a huge part of there earnings, so if they have earned it, they will definatly appreciate your tip.

Wow I didn't know you were suposed to tip guides.

I like to tip 10-15% The amount of fish shouldn't be a big factor in th tip either. If the guide worked hard, and gave you an enjoyable day, he gets as much or more than the grumpy guide who found you a huge fish.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    If you can't afford a tip most guides will understand and greatfully except your heartfelt thanks.

Very true! I didn't expect tips from the down to earth trout bums, my job was more fun then too (back when I was a lodge slave)

Of course if you are staying at a $7000 a week lodge you dang well better tip
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Interesting views on this subject …having made the long journey twice before and back again in 2008 we tend to go $40 per head plus a nice bottle of Scottish Single Malt Whisky ….the guides eyes just light up when they see the Malt

Cheers

Default you can fish in my boat anytime

MY wife would not have been pleased, but when I was guiding am man with single malt and a good cigar to spare was popular indeed.

Thumbs up Tokens of appreciation

Along the lines of the single malt, small gifts like pocket knives or flashlights are great tips and I'm not talking leathermans or maglites. I seem to remember them longer than a $20 bill.

Default my opinion

i must disagree about tipping before the trip commences..... as a guide -my service wouldn't be altered (positively or negatively) as a result of a "pre-tipping," and as a matter of fact, I have been most annoyed by folks that give a pre-tip and a wink, as if I'm going to treat them better than the other clients as a result of being prewarned of their ability to dish out more money than the rest. i've even had guys think i would give them the best bait or lure or whatever because of their generosity... it just doesn't work like that on my boat. they will get the same service they would have, even if they prewarned me of their inability to tip at all! i'd be interested to know if other guides feel the same way, or just the opposite? it's just my policy and opinion... i'm sure there are others.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast