Thread: Browning X-Bolt or Tikka T-3, in .243,...Opinions, Experiences, Please

Default Browning X-Bolt or Tikka T-3, in .243,...Opinions, Experiences, Please

So, I'm shopping to replace a stolen Tikka .243, that I Loved to shoot,...
    is primarily for my 11 yr old's first big game rifle,...but I enjoyed that .243 Immensely also

The Finlander rifle was amazingly accurate, out of the box, responded Nicely to custom Handloaded rounds

there are a few issues with Tikka, that seem a little cheap, but the Action, Barrel,...Flat Out Phenomenal

Then I had a Browning A-bolt in the past, one of my favorite all time rifles,.
    AND,....(this is probably a bigger factor than it should be,).....they have a .243 X-Bolt down at Macks Sporting Goods in Kodiak,....right Now

So, what are the Experiences/Opinions on this comparison,...??

Browning is nearly twice the price, on the shelf, for $1120,...yikes,....
    versus $600 something for a Tikka plus shipping, and waiting,....(y'kno how tempting it is to "buy now")

the actions on both, feel really good, can't decide there,...the barrel quality,...might go to the Tikka, especially for the price

Can anyone help me make this decision,...why are Brownings so spendy ??

(PS: not worried much about losing the T-3 magazine, so that is not an issue )
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Browning is nearly twice the price, on the shelf, for $1120,...yikes,....
    versus $600 something for a Tikka plus shipping, and waiting,....(y'kno how tempting it is to "buy now")
    I'd not pay twice as much for the Browning; others may differ but that would provide for new mounts, scope, aftermarket shroud and quite a bit of handloading supplies. I'd go Tikka and not think twice.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I can't say I'd spend double the cash on a Browning. Brownings are nice rifles without a doubt...but so is a Tikka.

I've looked really hard at an X-bolt because they make a true "youth size" in a left hand gun but ultimately may wait for that growth spurt and just buy a LH Tikka.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You might double check that Browning price. I just went to the Browning site and they're listing the X at around $900, depending on variation.

I've not even handled an X-Bolt but don't they come with a drop out magazine as well ? Tikka is known for out of the box accuracy, the "plastic" stock and trigger guard is alot tougher than people give it credit for, magazine too. It appears that the Tikka is creeping up in cost a bit, maybe partly due to, as the "story" goes anyway, that Beretta has the Sako smiths working with the Tikka craftsmen, there was a picture in one of the publications not long ago that showed Sako and Tikka barrels side by side in racks - The Brownings are still being made at Moruko in Japan (as far as I know) and they have been making alot of different firearms under contracts for a long time, they appear to know what they're doing there too - Price difference has more to do with the marketing practices of the companies I think and Browning has never "excelled" in customer service in IME - The only thing I dislike that doesn't appear to be "fixable" with the Tikka is the inability to load from the top but Sako says the A7 can be so maybe they will change that feature as I would guess it's just in the magazine design ? you asked for "opinions", mine is in favor of the Tikka, TOO bad they don't come out with a youth sized stock though ...

Thanks guys, I am also seeing an X-bolt on gunbroker, "buy now," for $880,....and yes the "In Kodiak" price is $1,119,....
    a markup, I don't really understand
    which is just one of the attractive aspects of living here I guess (??)

but as mentioned above,...figuring in the reality of replacing our last Tikka

which had a nice soft case, sling, 4-12 VX-1 Leupold, and even a Bore Guide and one pce. Cleaning Rod, disappearing along with it,...
    the Bare Rifle sitting on the shelf, is a long way from launching bullets thru the woods
    That much difference in price, makes the Tikka look really, the only option, I'll still be adding $400, or so to the bare rifle, to get back to where I was
    So with the Tikka T-3, I'm at a Complete package, at near the cost of the Bare Browning X-Bolt (in kodiak $'s anyway)

The reason I was drawn to the Tikka in the first place was the fact that the barrels Are essentially Sako built
    which proved to be Very Truly notable on the last one I had,...super nice action and barrel for the price
    and in my opinion, having worked that Tikka T-3 quite a bit at the range, and one Black Bear hunt worth of woods time,...
    the durability, strength and feel of the seemingly cheaper stock, really was not a factor
    It felt like a rifle that will hold up well over the long run, especially perfect for a young boy thrashing around in the alders

I have really liked Browning in the past, but don't hear much about them on these Forums, was wondering why,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You will see a swing in price among GunBroker sellers too - The best consistent prices seem to be from Northern Firearms and Bud's Gun Shop - I can't say anything one way or tother about X-Bolts, used to be totally loyal to the ABolt until I had 2 trigger freeze-ups in cold weather but I'll admit to that being a very subjective opinion since T3's have an "enclosed" trigger design too (I would truly love to simply have a SS model 70 with the original trigger in a gun that weighed in at 6 lbs, THAT would simplify my life to no end) - FYI, as I've mentioned, Tikka was a stand alone company that Beretta purchased a time back so the "Sako built" thing isn't altogether accurate as I think the Tikka craftsmen taught the Sako techs a thing or 3 about rifle building, and for way less $$$

Thanks Backcountry, I was just about to ask about other online gun sales options

why the swing on gunbroker pricing, any ideas, is it a seasonal thing, what more is there about shopping on there?

I've been wondering, have never bought anything firearms, online

Gunbroker dealers, as with your local dealers, can be negotiable. The posted price does not mean they will not take less.
    It is always worth sending a question to the listing person asking what they will take for the firearm. You might be surprised
    with the answer.

Good luck on your purchase.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

probably several factors, maybe shear volume of some dealers and some must have lower overhead than others, can't really say for sure, it's just the way it is - watch the shipping costs as well, some will ship for as little as $15 and others will ask $30 or even more - I stay away from anyone who tries to get more than $25 max, Northern Firearms includes shipping in the deal

Wish we could get rifles shipped up here for $15. I generally get “actual cost shipping” and $30 is about bottom dollar to get a rifle to Alaska. The postage stamp on the last one said $31.32, Davidson’s charged me $31 so they eat 32 cents plus the packing on the deal.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here is a Winchester .243 ss fwt. walnut stock vx3 2.5x8. talley 1pc. Shot show special, I don't think they make to many runs of Stainless/Walnut FWT's.
    http://nickelsworth.com/frm_ads_txt.php
    It's towards the bottom of the ads.

I also have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye SS plastic stock .243 for sale.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

AD - understood but I've paid $35 down here before, with fuel as high as it is it will be like that and "some" will take a bit of advantage as well (as we all know) I will normally just say "give me a total package price that includes shipping", as a business at least the dealer can write off some of it - What with Obama and his bunch in power the "firearms business" has never been more brisk, but a person might want to make that purchase sooner than later, just sayin' ........ another point, I understand that in AK a shopper is pretty much a captive audience with shipping guns but I've found, of late, that if you have necessary paperwork in hand and smile a bit then UPS and USPS will usually work with you, just smile and show an FFL, no citing the 2nd amendment to them, they're not interested (don't agree but it is just the way it is)

I have thought about buying a rifle or two and having it shipped up here, but figured it would probably not be worth what I saved over over buying it locally in the long run. I did order a Pachmyer recoil pad form Miday USA three weeks ago, and shipping was only $4.65, so I was happy. One place wanted $31 just to ship it here, now that is beyond ridiculous.