Thread: Propane Stove problem

Default Propane Stove problem

Remote cabin with a full size stove with oven. 20 LB tank. Stove has had the oriface changed. Stove has worked for 4 years. All top burners work great. Pilot light works fine.

When turning on the over itself, the pilot light wanders a bit but won't light the rail. Rail appears clean, but need to look closer. I suspect either a regulator (it is very old) or that the 20 LB tank isn't gassing enough. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

Put on a fresh tank and see if that helps. My fridge won't light when the tank gets low. Your issue may be similar.

You didn't mention that the oven was used previously with success, was it? There are air mixing 'valves' on ovens (they are little metal shutter looking things) that also need to be adjusted for NG- propane conversions, not just different orifices.

Here's a quick photo of mine, you can even see the set screw!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350063715.211409.jpg

I agree that a 20 pound tank part full and out in the cold might not be putting out adequate pressure.

Assuming, as you say, the oven has worked for the previous four years, then the symptoms you describe are indeed likely pressure related. Just to ensure we're on the same page tho; you are giving the oven enough time to do it's thing, yes? Sometimes it can take the oven circuit several minutes to pre-heat before it will light the main burner bar, especially if the indoor temp is very cool. Are you giving it enough time, before concluding it's faulty?

When the oven is turned on, the small pilot ignites a larger secondary pilot which heats a thermocouple. The thermocouple must get sufficiently hot before the valve will open to ignite the large burner bar. Sometimes this can take awhile. If after several minutes, the secondary pilot remains lit, but the main burner refuses to light, the most likely reason is that there's not enough available gas volume (pressure) to satisfy the demand...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If lack of pressure is determined to be at fault, I would suspect the primary regulator at the tank first. Sometimes they'll last for a very long time, but they are far more likely to fail than are the low pressure regulators in the stove.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Assuming, as you say, the oven has worked for the previous four years, then the symptoms you describe are indeed likely pressure related. Just to ensure we're on the same page tho; you are giving the oven enough time to do it's thing, yes? Sometimes it can take the oven circuit several minutes to pre-heat before it will light the main burner bar, especially if the indoor temp is very cool. Are you giving it enough time, before concluding it's faulty?

When the oven is turned on, the small pilot ignites a larger secondary pilot which heats a thermocouple. The thermocouple must get sufficiently hot before the valve will open to ignite the large burner bar. Sometimes this can take awhile. If after several minutes, the secondary pilot remains lit, but the main burner refuses to light, the most likely reason is that there's not enough available gas volume (pressure) to satisfy the demand...
    I didn't know that there was a 2nd pilot light. Maybe the thermocouple is bad and not sending fuel to the burner bar.

It is a fresh full 20 lb bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I didn't know that there was a 2nd pilot light. Maybe the thermocouple is bad and not sending fuel to the burner bar.

It is a fresh full 20 lb bottle.
    It's certainly not impossible for the thermocouple to fail, but it's not likely. Those things are pretty bombproof.

Turn on the stove and watch the action: First the pilot ignites that secondary pilot. It's located near the back end of the burner bar, between the burner and the small pilot, and should make a flame up to a couple inches long. That flame must preheat the thermocouple. This can take what seems like an inordinate length of time when you're watching it. Be patient! If after, say, an honest five minutes by the clock, nothing happens, I'd go after the main regulator at the tank. Especially if it's old as you say, it's highly suspect.
    #Resist

My old propane stove took a long time, at least 30 seconds to light, longer when the cabin was cold. You should be able to smell abundant S if the flow is adequate. Hold a flame up to the bar to see if gas is coming out at the end of it or along it, if it's just a flicker here and there then something is clogged on the oven or your tank regulator.

With all the moisture and crud in propane, tank regulators corrode rather predictably.

The propane stove in my RV has a thermocouple on the oven, it takes a while to heat it to open the gas flow. This is a safety feature to prevent gas from flowing if the pilot light is out. Mine started to take a long time to light off, had the thermocouple replaced and that fixed the problem.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thermocouples are not an uncommon problem. We sell a ton of them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Thermocouples are not an uncommon problem. We sell a ton of them.
    Are failures attributable to any particular generation of stove? I've never had one fail. (Suppose I will now tho, having said that).
    #Resist

Get an automatic bottle swith from Suburban Propane and connect two bottles. Forget about running out in the middle of dinner. I've NEVER had a regulator problem. Even after the one I have now sat under flood waters for a week.

My stove has electric ignition and the oven is electrically regulated, thus electricity dependant. No biggie since I have a full house inverter system. My oven lights up at -30 with no hesitation. That's my wife's favorite perch when we arrive on a cold night... right in front of the open oven door. That's the most efffective initial warm-up heater we have, too. Try it!